Take a crack at "Security Analysis" by Graham-Dodd. The book is dry to read but loaded with fundamentals. Finishing it is a good "starting" test on your willingness to pursue banking. Then I would read as many possible posts on this website about the "type" of banking you want to get into. I find it hard to meet a new "entrant" and not knowing how to provide specific advice. (As helpful as I or the other commenters can be)

Jamie is probably one of the most busy CEO's. You think he is reading this shit right now? Bunch of interns riding his dick so his secretary did an Amazon search or something. Whats sad is you know that at least 5 interns immediately ordered every one of these books and will be voraciously reading them because JD says so.

AnthonyD1982:
Jamie is probably one of the most busy CEO's. You think he is reading this shit right now? Bunch of interns riding his dick so his secretary did an Amazon search or something. Whats sad is you know that at least 5 interns immediately ordered every one of these books and will be voraciously reading them because JD says so.

Well, those are 5 quite moronic interns, but still reading that stuff will give them some culture. I support anything that makes people read more history-oriented books (and books in general).

I think 5 might be an understatement.

"JPMorgan had a town hall for summer interns yesterday. Apparently quite a few people asked Dimon for a reading list. He e-mailed them back the following list of his favorite books "which includes a variety of business and history books."

You get the chance to talk to one of the most powerful CEO's in the country and you want to know what books he is reading in the summer?! How about if he wears boxers or briefs.

I'll agree those are some good books. I have read about half of them.

AnthonyD1982:
I think 5 might be an understatement.

"JPMorgan had a town hall for summer interns yesterday. Apparently quite a few people asked Dimon for a reading list. He e-mailed them back the following list of his favorite books "which includes a variety of business and history books."

You get the chance to talk to one of the most powerful CEO's in the country and you want to know what books he is reading in the summer?! How about if he wears boxers or briefs.

I'll agree those are some good books. I have read about half of them.

It was a town hall with ALL jpm interns. Asia/Euro/Americas IBD, S&T, AM, whatever else is included. Probably 1000+ in the audience if you count the phones. It wasn't a small group sit down with the gifted and talented IBD nerds in NYC.

Nice post OP. Titan is a fascinating read. After reading the book, I didn't like the guy, but goddamn it's inspiring. I like most biographies about successful businessmen as well as pretty much any US president (Chernow wrote a great book on Washington).

I'll add the other books you mentioned to my reading list that's now the size of a book itself. Thanks.

predictably irrational by dan ariely -- easy to read snapshots of peer-reviewed research on behavioral science, helps understand how people think

a finance monkey from the mean streets of downtown dc

Really do hate the woo stuff that bloats most self help and business success books. It boils down to a bunch of placebo-effect junk and motivational speaker nonsense. That's why "spiritual" seems like such an apt description to that brand of stuff. Sure, you need to motivate yourself, but you also have to be careful not to buy into your own hype. A good small business book will lay it out straight, not sugar-coat the realities of working int the business world. Realism works.

That's a great list; it's very kind of you to share it with us. Here are some recommendations, based on your ratings and thoughts:

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin Trust Me I'm Lying by Ryan Holiday Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman Class by Paul Fussell

dcrowoar:

That's a great list; it's very kind of you to share it with us. Here are some recommendations, based on your ratings and thoughts:

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Trust Me I'm Lying by Ryan Holiday
Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Class by Paul Fussell

I definitely endorse the last two books. Would be fun to get a Paul Fussell Class discussion thread with the people we have on this board.

I enjoy reading a lot, I try and finish a book every 1-2 weeks. Over the past year, some of the ones that I liked are:

-Predictably Irrational (Ariely) -High-Rise (Ballard) -A Dangerous Master (Wallach) -When Genius Falled (Lowenstein) -The Big Short (Lewis) -No Easy Day (Owen) -No Hero (Owen) -The Physics of Wall Street (Weatherall) -Traders, Guns and Money (Das) -Elon Musk (Vance) -Accidental Billionaires (Mezrich) -Inventing Money (Dunbar)

Nice list! Here is what I am reading this summer:

Influence by Robert Cialdini Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie ( for the 2nd time, AMAZING book) Capital Ideas by Peter Burnstein Financial Shenanigans by Howard Schilit

Currently working through The Shock of the New by Robert Hughes. A bit dated, but good overview of the development of modern art.

I want to get through a couple art theory books this summer, and then maybe try Finnegan's Wake if I really really start hating myself.

Are you really serious about reading the Wake lol. Have you read other Joyce?

If you want something more enjoyable than the wake but still challenging, try Gravity's Rainbow by me, The Recognitions by Gaddis (the Hughes book will definitely help you understand some of the art stuff in the Recognitions), anything by Gass, Women & Men by McElroy, 2666 by Bolaño, etc.

Infinite Jest is the seemingly-permanent staple at the top of my reading list. At 1079 pages...I know it's great, but it's still just hard to get through. I'm not alone here in this procrastination, am I?

I have a reading list somewhere in Evernote which, ironically, I haven't looked at in a while. But off the top of my head: -Zero to One by Peter Thiel -The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham -(Re-reading) How to Win Friends & Influence People, Dale Carnegie -Ray Dalio's Principles (a PDF of it is hosted on Bridgewater's website here: http://www.bwater.com/Uploads/FileManager/Principles/Bridgewater-Associ…) -CFA, LSAT, and/or GRE study guides

"A modest man, with much to be modest about"

Next on my list is:

The Sound of Waves, by Yukio Mishima The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemingway Too Big to Fail, by Andrew Sorkin

I've got Musashi, 48 Laws of Power, and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in my Amazon cart.

Things I've read lately:

Fooling Some of The People All of The Time (Really excellent, I'd recommend this to anyone interested in Finance) Thinking Fast and Slow (Decent; Half of the stuff I learned in high school psychology, though.) Flash Boys (Not as good as Liar's Poker, imho) The Black Swan (Also excellent) Barbarians at the Gate (Felt really repetitive, like the same good story told 3 times, due to the constant price wars)

That's actually the exact reason why I started keeping an excel spreadsheet! I usually will jot down a quote or key concept on a post it. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might create another column for those quotes on excel.. Anyone else have any other methods??

I'm really into the CFA studies and financial modelling right now, so reading something on management and consulting takes my head out of the numbers for some time. I hope to finish my list until the end of september. My reading list is:

-The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy by Stern and Deimler

-Business Adventures by John Brooks

-The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon by Brad Stone

"The curious task in economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design" F.A. Hayek "What can be added to the happiness of a man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience?" Adam Smith

Fussell's Class and Deresiewicz's Excellent Sheep are must reads for many people on this forum.

Other good one's, pertaining more so to finance:

A Random Walk Down Wall Street Fooled by Randomness The End of Alchemy Lords of Finance Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics

"Team of Rivals" - A story about A. Lincoln's administration - explains strategy of team building and how Lincoln used diversity of thoughts to get things done. "Art of Power - Thomas Jefferson" is roughly the same political history text of T. Jefferson. Both interesting reads from a history combined with working with others' perspective.

From what you have told us, I think you would be a hug fan of Malcolm Gladwell (although I may be biased as he is my favorite author). My 3 favorites by him, in no particular order, are Outliers, David and Goliath and the Tipping Point.

Fooled by Randomness When Genius Failed

Jack: They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off from that economic crisis that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have zero real world skills, but God they work hard. -30 Rock

Another good one is "Too Big To Fail" by Andrew Ross Sorkin. It's more about the recent crisis, but should definitely be mandatory reading for anyone looking into the industry.

The Macro View http://themacroview.wordpress.com

Read about networking also:

Never Eat Alone--Keith Ferrazzi You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself--Harry Beckwith Networking Like a Pro: Turning Contacts into Connections--Ivan Misner How to Win Friends and Influence People--Dale Carnegie

This list is pretty good, also (Bear Stearns summer intern reading list-- maybe they should've re-read a few...)

http://bearstearns.com/includes/pdfs/careers/recommended_reading.pdf

ricky212:
I love "The Big Short"
One of the all-time must-reads.

Also, this list should keep you occupied for a while.

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/blog/my-heavily-influenced-by-wso-readin…

It's funny how a year and a half ago I had nothing to read and not too much to do ... now I have a continually growing reading list (that I will never finish) and an IB internship. In no small part thanks are due to WSO.

Maximum effort.

I feel like this comes up all the time...can we have one big 'suggested readings' post?

That being said, off the top of my head: When Genius Failed, Barbarians at the Gate, Random Walk Down Wallstreet, Lords of Finance, Big Short, Too Big to Fail, Fooled by Randomness, Monkey Business, Liar's Poker.

The Intelligent Investor: The Classic Text on Value Investing by Benjamin Graham • International Economics: Theory And Policy by Paul R. Krugman • The Most Powerful Bank: Inside Germany’s Bundesbank by David Marsh • Controlling & Managing Interest Rate Risk by Anthony G. Cornyn and Robert A. Klein • How the Options Markets Work by Joseph A. Walker • New Financial Instruments by Julian Walmsley • Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America’s Top Traders by Jack D. Schwager • Stock Market Wizards: Interviews with America’s Top Stock Traders by Jack D. Schwager • Exceptional Trading: The Mind Game by Ruth Barrons Roosevelt • Trading to Win: The Psychology of Mastering the Markets by Avi Kiev • The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes by Mark Douglas • Stan Weinstein’s Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets by Stan Weinstein • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline and a Winning Attitude by Mark Douglas and Thom Hartle • Trading in the Zone : Maximizing Performance with Focus and Discipline by Ari Kiev • Trading With Crowd Psychology by Carl Gyllenram • Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street’s Champion Day Trader by Martin S. Schwartz et al • The Master Swing Trader: Tools and Techniques to Profit from Outstanding Short-Term Trading Opportunities by Alan S. Farley • The Market Maker’s Edge: A Wall Street Insider by Josh Lukeman • The Super Traders: Secrets and Successes of Wall Street’s Best and Brightest by Alan Rubenfeld • Zebra In Lion Country by Ralph Wanger with Everett Mattlin • Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John J. Murphy • Hit and Run Trading: The Short-Term Stock Traders’ Bible by Jeff Cooper • Hit and Run Trading II: Capturing Explosive Short-Term Moves in Stocks by Jeff Cooper • Street Smarts: High Probability Short-Term Trading Strategies by Laurence A. Connors and Linda Bradford Raschke • The Real Holy Grail: Money Management Techniques of Top Traders by Eddie Kwong

Nice guys may not finish last but they sure don't finish first. Loyalty is not rewarded, it's taken advantage of. 

Mister Boss:
Ron Paul:

I noticed your interest in HFT - allow me to recommend "Frequently Trading High," the autobiography of a genius stoner who joined GS S&T and raked in profits while tripping on bath salts.

Good call - unbelievably profound story that influenced change across GS entire recruiting process. Top target schools are now Ithaca College and Bard

I have been searching everywhere for this since I first heard of it, is there anywhere recommended to looks? Is that the actual title? A google and amazon search bring up nothing.

"When you stop striving for perfection, you might as well be dead."

Recent finance reads - Red Notice, Barbarians at the Gate, Stock Market Genius, Fooling Some of the People All of the Time, Glass House, The New Geography of Jobs, Monkey Business

Recent non-finance reads - Thinking Fast and Slow, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, In Cold Blood, Running with Scissors

"Investment Banking: Valuation, Leveraged Buyouts, and Mergers and Acquisitions" by Rosenbaum and Pearl if it's anything IB/PE related. It's great for an overall view of the nuts and bolts in the industry. Very easy to read and very applied IMO. I agree with the modeling, but I would give this book a look first, it also explains how models work and should look (again, on a somewhat basic level). The things it covers are also what you would normally be asked about in interviews.

Monkeyclass:

. It's great for an overall view of the nuts and bolts in the industry.

Springer- Investment Banking A Guide to Underwriting and Advisory Services - Giuliano Iannotta .. way better and so are several others like Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Restructuring - Patrick A Guaghan

Monkeyclass:

but I would give this book a look first,.

I made the same mistake, books are good but with modelling programs you can apply what you read in books.... so modelling programs first, books later, this way the books make more sense, for example you read about the CFROI valuation method you can more/less understand how you would model that if you have done modelling program, books can be read for your entire remaining life but modelling programs hit the nail on the head, you finish them you are ready for an interview to say the least

Monkeyclass:

it also explains how models work and should look (again, on a somewhat basic level).

Modelling programs take you from the most basic to the advanced modelling explaining concepts along the way, there is just no way a book can compete with a video when it comes to learning financial modelling

Monkeyclass:

The things it covers are also what you would normally be asked about in interviews.

the modelling programs also have interview prep courses, so this book or any other, cannot even come close to competing with that

OP, if you don't have the cash for modelling courses check out Macabus https://www.macabacus.com/learn. Personally, having used Rosenbaum & Pearl Investment Banking, Breaking Into Wall Street Advanced Modelling and Macabus, I found the most useful method was to build the models in Rosenbaum & Pearl from ground up, copying their layout. As you're not being walked through the model by a video, it requires a lot more critical analysis to understand how it is built and what drives it.

If you don't want to learn financial modelling (I personally don't see the point until you understand the key concepts of Corporate Finance, no point in running before you can walk), I'd recommend the following books.

Finance knowledge: Brealey, Myers & Allen - Principles of Corporate Finance Bodie, Kane & Marcus - Essentials of Investments Valdez & Molyneux - An introduction to Global Financial Markets

General finance career knowledge: Liar's Poker: A classic for anyone interested in Sales & Trading Barbarians at the Gate: Great insight into how a deal can come about. Good read for anyone interested in IB / PE. Monkey Business: Good insight into the life of a junior banker and the pros / cons it can involve. The Accidental Investment Banker: Very interesting book about a career banker's journey from Associate to MD. Great insight into how deals come about, what senior bankers actually do and the office politics than can be encountered.

Fellow Monkeys and I have complied a list of books and news feeds here: //www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/personal-development-0. Please also check out: //www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/nyssa-equity-research-initiation-report. And Flake has Q&A on how to get into ER at here: //www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/equity-research-qa-with-flake. And CompBanker has done how to get into IBD here: //www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ask-compbanker.

"I am the hero of the story. I don't need to be saved."

couchy:
don't fall into the trap of reading too many finance textbooks. Read as many annual reports possible. By your senior year, you'll know every important fact about every important company.

4 years of familiarizing with companies > 4 years of finance theory

Well, it only takes about a month to go through a few of the most important books, but I think annual reports are important too.

i'm a fan of michael lewis stuff: boomerang, the big short, moneyball et al

if you're interested in philosophy i'd recommend meditations by marcus aurelius for stoicism and david hume stuff for epistemology / critical thinking.

for leisure / general knowledge, i really enjoyed a short history of nearly everything by bryson and guns, germs and steel by jared diamond.

American Lion: Andrew Jackson by Jon Meacham if you want a beast (and long) biography about the beastiest president to have and forever will have lived.

"Banking institutions are more dangerous... than standing armies." - TJ

A few..i usually read a few books at a time..

Republic, by Plato (re - reading) Market Neutral Investing, bu Joseph Nicholas Hedge Funds-Robert Jaeger

Sucks, bc I should be reading my Advanced C Programming book...procrastination is a bitch.

Anyone know anything about doubly linked lists?

Den of Thieves - its a good book, I'm just pissed that I read Predators Ball first, because I think Den is a much better written and detailed account, and my interest in it is waining due to having read Predators.

The Black Swan, by Taleb. Basically says that using a normal distribution in financial markets is worthless and retarded. Also a lot of abstract philosophy, epistemology type of stuff. A good read.

Good follow-up to his book Fooled by Randomness. Required reading for anyone going into S&T, IMO.

barbs: read it, but it gets a bit too boring. you have to skip over a lot of details that are no so important.

or maybe that's because I am not working in industry yet?

First off, Pandamonium, I've read Catch-22. I don't feel like rereading it.

@B4SH - Shibumi sounds interesting. I'll add it to my List.

@Stryfe - I've never been into WWI. Although there can be a great deal gleaned from WWI/WWII that can make us reflect on how the past is prologue and that we're seeing similar things happening that have happened before. If you have any recommendations for anything in WWII, I'll gladly check 'em out.

@Kassad - Who is it by?

I'm open to any suggestion. I, generally speaking, want to avoid the classics - things like Tolstoy, Dumas, Dickens, Vonnegut, Melville - unless we're talking like actual Greek/Roman Classics such as something by Golden or Silver Age Latin writers (I've got a soft spot for Suetonious and Tacitus), anything in the sphere of Finance because I read way too much, and histories before 1945. No James Joyce. I have to make that one very clear. I read Ulysses and had to burn the book in effigy about 50 pages in. I'm up for Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Non-Fiction biographies. Short Story Anthologies by good writers (think Hemingway, Poe, Asimov, the dude that wrote Fight Club). I mean the three books I'm reading right now are all of varying genres, so when I say anything, I mean I'm game for almost any kind of suggestion.

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

Currently working on it (it's a monster), but so far been awesome.

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use.

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival - John Vaillant Its an account of a man eating tiger hunt in Russia, its deeply informative and goes in to the history of the region and the people that live there. Its a nice break from more boring textbook like non-fiction books.

In facilis ex occaecati neque et. Commodi nobis sunt modi neque facere. Exercitationem rerum aut fugit fugit.

Voluptatem quasi veritatis vel ipsam perspiciatis magnam. Excepturi sed voluptatem repudiandae doloribus quo qui possimus aut. Est et nisi quam voluptatum dolorem. Et deserunt et soluta tempora harum omnis vel hic. Qui aperiam nobis qui rerum fugit unde. Est dolores commodi architecto non repellendus non sapiente.

Sed eveniet neque non magni. Vel modi accusamus aut dignissimos ex. Aliquam fugiat explicabo nemo alias modi qui necessitatibus. Eveniet soluta et non dolore accusamus quia.

Voluptates voluptas voluptatum nostrum deleniti. Ipsa asperiores architecto ut ut deleniti eaque asperiores.

Tenetur deleniti cum reprehenderit. Ut harum dolorum reprehenderit explicabo ex dignissimos nihil maiores. Facilis non voluptatem voluptas quia quae possimus quis. Repellat vel corporis sunt.

Assumenda reiciendis voluptatibus molestiae sit et ab. Nemo et voluptates deserunt iusto voluptas nesciunt. Tenetur veritatis delectus aperiam. Deserunt consequatur neque aut quia dicta cupiditate autem. Quo dolor et sit laboriosam. Vero dolor ea quae exercitationem adipisci.

Corporis ducimus inventore voluptas laboriosam voluptates quibusdam eius. Ad suscipit voluptas ea non et voluptas. Harum voluptas velit error quia facilis architecto.

Neque saepe quam illo vel nisi quia officia ut. Quod placeat sit dicta. Mollitia molestiae mollitia libero voluptate aut reiciendis. Sint repellat labore facilis perspiciatis laborum eligendi. Officiis impedit velit necessitatibus rerum et.

Autem ut maiores non assumenda maxime. Dolorem earum vel aspernatur voluptas aut repellat. Ex est tenetur perspiciatis. Laudantium necessitatibus officiis qui.

Iste earum explicabo quas magni ea est ad. Blanditiis quam corrupti officiis sed possimus autem quis. Ut odio ipsam itaque facere in saepe.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Cum voluptatem quia tempore facilis. Repudiandae quibusdam illo quas enim quasi. Cum facere est debitis nihil consequatur ipsam ipsam. Non quibusdam labore et optio voluptas quas doloribus. Ut quod quia non dolore.

Sit doloremque et doloribus corporis. Unde quam dolorem sit illo praesentium tenetur adipisci. Et aut sed perferendis voluptatibus dolores expedita in. Iste asperiores est nisi similique.

Ea et ut quia rerum. Voluptatibus qui qui harum magnam quo. Consequatur error ea maxime totam necessitatibus est. Et esse sed dolores consequatur.

Nihil ipsa cumque qui tempore. Expedita debitis praesentium blanditiis. Voluptas labore eum minima repudiandae et exercitationem. Maxime deserunt dolorem sed qui. Similique voluptatem recusandae voluptatem non repudiandae.

Consequatur quae repellendus aliquam rerum sunt aspernatur voluptas. Omnis ab temporibus laudantium vero culpa ea. Et qui expedita sed ducimus quae doloribus officiis. Deserunt et aperiam non. Qui blanditiis dolorum voluptatum distinctio quia. Libero dolorum ex est eos. Iure consequatur nam deserunt nostrum est excepturi occaecati eligendi.

Dolor minus laudantium libero et. Ipsam earum est qui corrupti a voluptatem facere. Nobis sint voluptatum quibusdam aliquid quisquam debitis nulla ea. Iusto exercitationem molestiae nisi tempore saepe adipisci. Voluptatem id magni cum nemo sint ratione.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”