Boutique Legacy Developers

For a student who is trying to make their way into the REPE world post graduation, are these shops a good move for a summer internship? I have a close connection to a well known regional specific developer.

Any thoughts would be great

I think there are a lot of these companies around, actually. At a certain point they aren't really "developers" anymore. They just manage their properties and fade into the background. A lot of portfolios are built by one dynamic person who then moves on to other interests or dies, and once he's gone the company doesn't grow anymore but may run on autopilot for many years.

Especially in big markets like NYC.  There must be a dozen, billion+ dollar portfolios scattered around owned by families no one has ever heard of, who have had these properties for decades.  They're just sleepy and inactive and aren't interested in being developers or active buyers, they just take their insane cash flow and plough it into other things.

pudding

Also, most people won't be able to pay the tax bill if you sell the assets you've owned for 75 years. So you never sell. It's one of the major unspoken issues of the NYC family dynasties. 

I mean, you can do a lot through a 1031 exchange.  I don't doubt you are partially correct, but a lot of times these players can afford good tax advice, they just don't have the drive or desire to do anything.  If you've got a two billion dollar portfolio spitting out eight figures of free cash flow every year, and you expect to refi out more cash every 5-10 years... well, if you don't have a strong desire to work, you don't really need to.  Hell, it's enough money to go do something else.

How can they not cover the tax bill? Appreciate this sounds like a stupid question but I’m not familiar with NYC market / US taxes and intuitively this doesn’t make sense to me. Only way I could see this arising is if they’re very highly levered and the equity left after repaying debt isn’t sufficient to cover some insane capital gains tax from an ultra low carrying value? What am I missing here?

Most Helpful

Being a junior in real estate is about 2 things:

1. Can you execute?
  2. Do you know people?

I would be skeptical that you will get much experience on the sort of execution work you'd be doing in REPE at a small developer.  It might be helpful for your network, but you'd be much better off at a commercial brokerage or other place where you'd get lots of reps of evaluating / valuing opportunities.

Cannot_Stop

For a student who is trying to make their way into the REPE world post graduation, are these shops a good move for a summer internship? I have a close connection to a well known regional specific developer.

Any thoughts would be great

Literally anything is a good move when discussing a summer internship.  No one will have expected you to underwrite a deal or be actively involved in a transaction/development project.  You're dipping your toe in the water so that when you apply for a full time gig, employers know that you won't need a month of hand holding to understand terms and concepts.

Rerum nam ipsa dignissimos omnis aspernatur facilis eum aut. Aut harum beatae molestias. Quis non molestias sunt voluptatum. Corrupti voluptates est voluptatibus cumque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”