Bulge Bracket 2015 Rankings

Here we are again. Another person has posted another useless post. But, I guarantee I am not the only one who is simple curious for shit's sake. Again, I am sure these mean nothing, but I (and I am sure many others) are just curious what others think and it would be cool to see how things vary depending on your background.

Now without further adieu, here are my rankings for the bulge bracket by NAME only (aka not by division or product etc)

1) GS/JPM
3) MS/BAML
5) CS/Barclays
7) Deutsche Bank
8) Citi
9) BNP Paribas (Even though not BB, consider it better than UBS)
10) UBS

Will someone from Citi run across no mans land, take a leap of courage and sling his faeces or will a GS comrade selfishly dump his excrement bucket on his MS ally for being mentioned in the same breath as if it were the French to the British? I don't know. Let the battle commence.

In this day in age you need to include boutiques in rankings. Especially after Heinz-Kraft.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

MBAGrad2015:

In terms of OVERALL name brand, that ranking is more or less on the mark. But it's irrelevant since you should care about your specific group.

I agree completely. But I was just curious more about how people did think in overall brand. How would you change my rankings?

There's really no need to comment on this, but I'm absolutely sure a sophomore or freshman will look at this and take it face value. (And hopefully not take BNP over UBS).

So, for the sake of those guys here's in my opinion a more informed "ranking" to CONSIDER only, NOT to 100% follow. For all those reading out there, it depends on group, location (London/NYC/SF/etc), etc. But seriously, having interned at a BB and did FT recruiting, I would not recommend taking OPs ranking into account.

1) GS/MS 1a) JPM (arguable, seen some peers take over MS) 2) CS 2a) BAML (arguable, seen peers take over CS) 3) Citi/Barclays/DB 4) UBS

You can look at M&A/IPO league tables etc all you want, but historical reputation, group placement, and past calibre of analysts should still be the main emphasis. CS might be 12th on the league table today and have been behind BarCap, but CS guys have even in the most recent cycle placed noticeably better than BarCap even though they have been trailing them league table wise for a while now. (Also have to take into account CS as a whole is more lean than even say BAML, etc). And exit opps are ultimately what it comes to. (As seen in BX > Everything)

Basically, it depends.

dukeofduke:
I want you to rank them!

Goldman Sachs Morgan Stanley JP Morgan Credit Suisse Citi Douche Bank Barcap BAML UBS

Get ready for a bunch of losers aspiring to get BAML/UBS jobs come in here and complain about rankings being "meaningless." Yeah, sure bet you'd think that if you were at GS/MS.

This is retarded. Are you really saying that there's that much of a difference between Credit Suisse and Citi? If this post is even in the slightest bit serious, you're much better off with having 3 or so tiers rather than an outright ranking.

TimothyBryce:
1. UCONN 2. UK/UNC Winner 3. Butler 4. VCU

Ranking banks is so dumb, but definitely something I would expect from a Dukie

You are mistaken. I go to a target (Harvard, Princeton, Wharton - I consider the rest to be semi-targets or non-targets). I just happen to be considered royalty at Duke because of the large donations my family gives them.

It depends on location. IE DB is much stronger in Europe, but much weaker in NYC. In New York, it's pretty much impossible to think of bulges by pure rank, as it's highly group centric. ie, Citi M&A is probably better than almost all the groups at Barcap, but the same can't be said on average. I'd say the ranks you posted are relatively accurate if you consider the top group only. In aggregate though, it's much easier to bundle in tiers. On the same tier, you should definitely pick on group and not on prestige. For NYC, it's more like

GS | MS JPM | | CS Citi, BAML, Barcap DB | | | UBS

WOW AWESOME GREAT.

What did this accomplish?

"Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat, that's a fact.

1) Goldman Sachs 2) J.P. Morgan 3) Morgan Stanley 4) Bank of America Merrill Lynch 5) Barclays 6) Credit Suisse Group AG 7) Citigroup 8) Deutsche Bank 9) UBS

I am skeptical about who actually works in banking here. I would rank J.P. Morgan and Barclays higher. J.P. Morgan has been killing in fees over the last few years and has generated the most fees across all products. Both banks are top five across all regions in terms of announced deals. It is true that fees/deal are lower for Barclays but the fact that Barclays have the ability to win deals is a testament to their growth in the U.S. over the last few years.

Powa23:

1) Goldman Sachs
2) J.P. Morgan
3) Morgan Stanley
4) Bank of America Merrill Lynch
5) Barclays
6) Credit Suisse Group AG
7) Citigroup
8) Deutsche Bank
9) UBS

I am skeptical about who actually works in banking here. I would rank J.P. Morgan and Barclays higher. J.P. Morgan has been killing in fees over the last few years and has generated the most fees across all products. Both banks are top five across all regions in terms of announced deals. It is true that fees/deal are lower for Barclays but the fact that Barclays have the ability to win deals is a testament to their growth in the U.S. over the last few years.

This, although I might swap CS with BAML.

Re: CS killing it this year - no they havent. Have you seen the league tables this year?

Either way this thread is stupid. For PE MS and GS generally have a premium above all other banks with JPM a distant third. After that it just depends on what group you work at.

bahahaha... 5 Greatest Rappers of all time

Dy-Lon

Dy-Lon

Dy-Lon

Dy-Lon

&

Dy-Lon

That is how I feel about this topic... Cuz I spit hot fire. And this topic is stupid... Centerview is the new gold standard of bankers and their paychecks back it up

Oh and Piper is making a run for it

"Prestige rankings are pointless. Its more critical to be in a top group at that particular investment bank."

Completely disagree. Top banks matter since they lead to exit ops outside of just investment banking. You are far better off approaching an Apple/Google/GE/IBM recruiter with a top bank on your resume.

For PE, they may look at the group. But in just about every other exit opp, they do not care about the group anywhere near as much. Private equity has probably become less of a focus since its attractiveness has gone down, so individual groups may matter even less now than previously.

1. GS
  2. MS
  3. JPM

4. BAML

1. Barclays
  2. Citi
  3. CS

8. DB

1. UBS

Writing this from my perspective European IBD employee. GS is obvious no.1 looking at the prestige with MS just behind. JPM and baml are doing well in overall fee's and feels like both are growing quite a lot, looking to attack the top. Barclays is for me the European giant in IBD and I feel like they have quite a lot going on at least in Europe.

The surest way to make a monkey of a man is to quote him.

ModernMonkey:

1. GS
2. MS
3. JPM
4. BAML
---
5. Barclays
6. Citi
7. CS
8. DB
---
9. UBS

Writing this from my perspective European IBD employee. GS is obvious no.1 looking at the prestige with MS just behind. JPM and baml are doing well in overall fee's and feels like both are growing quite a lot, looking to attack the top. Barclays is for me the European giant in IBD and I feel like they have quite a lot going on at least in Europe.

I'd say I agree your rankings the most. CS had a terrible year, let's just hope they can get back from that.

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/MARank.htm

Global Announced M&A Ranking - 01 Jan - 30 Dec 2013

Pos.    Advisor Value $m    No. %share  Previous YTD
1   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/goldman-sachs" target="_blank">Goldman Sachs</a></span>                                   718,127         362         24.8    1
2   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/jpmorgan-chase">JPMorgan</a></span>                                           664,372         276         23.0    2
3   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/morgan-stanley">Morgan Stanley</a></span>                                 598,974         307         20.7    3
4   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/bank-of-america-merrill-lynch">Bank of America</a></span> <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/bank-of-america-merrill-lynch">Merrill</a></span> Lynch           547,418         241         18.9    8
5   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/barclays-capital">Barclays</a></span>                             475,669         211         16.4    5
6   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/ubs-ag">UBS</a></span>                                335,716         187         11.6    10
7   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/deutsche-bank">Deutsche Bank</a></span>                       293,100         190         10.1    7
8   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/citigroup">Citi</a></span>                                287,148         217           9.9   4
9   <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/credit-suisse">Credit Suisse</a></span>                       225,910         232           7.8   6
10  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/lazard">Lazard</a></span>                         209,866         208           7.3   11
11  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/guggenheim-partners" target="_blank">Guggenheim</a></span> Partners LLC               159,090           12              5.5   141
12  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/tag/moelis">Moelis</a></span> &amp; Co                        147,148          92           5.1   22
13  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/bnp-paribas">BNP</a></span> Paribas                       139,852         113           4.8   15
14  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/rothschild" target="_blank">Rothschild</a></span>                         129,780         213           4.5   9
15  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/centerview-partners-0">Centerview Partners</a></span>                  105,853           27              3.7   18
16  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/evercore" target="_blank">Evercore</a></span> Partners Inc                    96,979          125           3.4   13
17  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/rbc-royal-bank-of-canada">RBC</a></span> Capital Markets                  84,944          139           2.9   14
18  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/hsbc">HSBC</a></span>                         67,860            71              2.4   17
19  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/wells-fargo-and-company">Wells Fargo</a></span> Securities                66,814            62              2.3   29
20  <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/company/jefferies-company">Jefferies</a></span> LLC                       60,487          118           2.1   16
    Subtotal                            1,805,868        2,252          62.4    
    Total                               2,892,803     37,030          100.0 

mossy695:

http://fn.dealogic.com/fn/MARank.htm

Global Announced M&A Ranking - 01 Jan - 30 Dec 2013

Pos. Advisor Value $m No. %share Previous YTD
1 Goldman Sachs           718,127         362         24.8 1
2 JPMorgan           664,372         276         23.0 2
3 Morgan Stanley           598,974         307         20.7 3
4 Bank of America Merrill Lynch         547,418         241         18.9 8
5 Barclays           475,669         211         16.4 5
6 UBS           335,716         187         11.6 10
7 Deutsche Bank           293,100         190         10.1 7
8 Citi           287,148         217           9.9 4
9 Credit Suisse           225,910         232           7.8 6
10 Lazard           209,866         208           7.3 11
11 Guggenheim Partners LLC           159,090           12           5.5 141
12 Moelis & Co           147,148          92           5.1 22
13 BNP Paribas           139,852         113           4.8 15
14 Rothschild           129,780         213           4.5 9
15 Centerview Partners           105,853           27           3.7 18
16 Evercore Partners Inc             96,979         125           3.4 13
17 RBC Capital Markets             84,944         139           2.9 14
18 HSBC             67,860           71           2.4 17
19 Wells Fargo Securities             66,814           62           2.3 29
20 Jefferies LLC             60,487         118           2.1 16
Subtotal        1,805,868      2,252         62.4
Total      2,892,803   37,030       100.0

cuz m&a fees mean everything lol nevermind ecm/dcm/other products
speed boost blaze

I usually go by sexy deals. For example, the sexiest deals are usually swooped by GS/MS (although MS has been getting shafted more and more after FB).

Then I would say JPM grabs the next/same tier of sexy.

It drops off steeply, but CS had quite a few this year. (e.g. Nieman earlier this year)

BC gets some pretty tasty ones in their industrials sector. (I think I remember seeing Boeing)

BAML usually gets its hands on a little bit of everything, and even wins main underwriter on an extremely nice deal once in a while.

DB is huge on anything with large debt and dealing with bonds.

Haven't seen a TON of Citi this year, but that doesn't mean they're falling by any means.

UBS is downgrading its IB so...

That's my view of the BBs after this year. I don't like ranking them one-by-one, but instead just know what's been going on.

Joshua93:

I usually go by sexy deals. For example, the sexiest deals are usually swooped by GS/MS (although MS has been getting shafted more and more after FB).

Then I would say JPM grabs the next/same tier of sexy.

It drops off steeply, but CS had quite a few this year. (e.g. Nieman earlier this year)

BC gets some pretty tasty ones in their industrials sector. (I think I remember seeing Boeing)

BAML usually gets its hands on a little bit of everything, and even wins main underwriter on an extremely nice deal once in a while.

DB is huge on anything with large debt and dealing with bonds.

Haven't seen a TON of Citi this year, but that doesn't mean they're falling by any means.

UBS is downgrading its IB so...

That's my view of the BBs after this year. I don't like ranking them one-by-one, but instead just know what's been going on.

Another flaw in this site are aspiring Summer Analysts like yourself repeating what others have told you.. UBS is not downgrading their Investment Banking Division you dumbass. They are cutting FICC of S&T, which is PART of the Investment Bank, hence the confusion. Advisory and IBD are not changing at all in UBS, so people need to get their facts straight on this board.

Odio quas consequuntur quia fugiat dolores provident. Ut incidunt ipsa eos quod. Quia quibusdam rerum sint. Unde maiores eos sit est qui cum voluptatibus.

Ad et expedita fuga dolorem consequuntur molestias. Aut dignissimos est quas dolores sed quia eum delectus. Distinctio explicabo ex vitae ex ipsa omnis. Qui quo mollitia possimus ea. Doloremque adipisci quis quia excepturi ullam unde. Molestias iusto accusamus esse sit.

Accusamus voluptates consequatur et similique ut voluptates et. Ut maiores nisi consequatur qui expedita. Laudantium qui eos molestiae voluptatem velit. Explicabo dolorum est voluptatem est nihil quia sunt. Iste eligendi quibusdam sint omnis dolores.

Ducimus perferendis voluptas perferendis porro accusamus explicabo. Necessitatibus consequatur nemo nihil fuga molestias voluptatem voluptatem et. Quasi impedit tempora voluptatem itaque. Maxime corporis doloremque eligendi commodi aut ut. Et totam ut et. Ut ut labore aliquam quibusdam.

Exercitationem rerum id eaque nihil. Illum magni rerum et provident.

Earum atque voluptas sit tempore ex ut. Ipsam eum mollitia natus numquam molestias. Et quidem accusamus culpa ipsa voluptas quod. Dolore cum hic quas voluptate earum. Distinctio ducimus tenetur voluptas veniam. Repellat et hic ducimus aliquid et sit maiores dolorem. Eum in qui molestiae laborum.

Similique et provident officiis dolor adipisci optio qui. Rerum quia eos quaerat ratione accusamus asperiores. Temporibus aut fuga est consequatur voluptates voluptatibus a dolor. Tempora et pariatur aperiam ea a et dicta. At omnis sed dolorem. Nihil qui dicta maiores sed accusantium. Ea soluta qui praesentium hic quia natus sint.

"My name's Ralph Cox, and I'm from where ever's not gonna get me hit"

Et vel eum rerum illum tempore ipsa. Et harum inventore et placeat fugiat id. Vitae ut sint repellat alias occaecati quasi placeat et. Voluptatem quis maiores qui perspiciatis. Eveniet dolores incidunt voluptas et.

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”