CAIA to transition to energy infrastructure investing?

Hi,

question up front: I am interested in getting into energy infrastructure investing, specifically renewables, hydrogen, power transmission, etc., either on the equity or debt side. I am wondering whether the Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) cert is a possible way in as someone from a non-finance background. I am in Europe and would prefer to work in either Europe, the Middle East (Dubai), or Canada.

Additional details: I am currently working at a Big 4 in Europe mostly doing due diligence on integrity, reputational, and regulatory risks (i.e. corruption, bribery, conflicts of interest, that sort of thing). This is often in the context of large M&A transactions, with most of that work recently being in the renewable energy and infrastructure sectors. I have about six years work experience and am a manager. I have multiple degrees in social sciences, am pretty numerate, and can program in multiple programming languages (for data analysis). 

I am apparently not allowed to post links to jobs I'm interested in since I'm new here, but there is currently for example a job posting for an energy infrastructure associate at MIRA available, as well as an energy, utilities, transport & renewable power analyst at Brookfield.

Both jobs ask for experience in investment banking, corporate development, or similar, as well as financial modeling and valuation skills. I have neither. In your view, is there a chance that the CAIA, together with my existing experience with M&A transactions from the integrity / compliance side could be enough to make me a candidate for those types of jobs? And if not, what could I do instead? For a variety of reasons, let's exclude an MBA from the universe of possible actions to take.

I've done a search in the forum but haven't found a thread that would answer my questions.

Thank you in advance.

Most Helpful

To be blunt, it's going to be very difficult. MIRA and Brookfield are top players in the renewables / broader infrastructure space and if you take a look at some of the profiles of the junior class, an overwhelming majority have prior investment banking experience covering power, utilities, and infrastructure spaces with the minority coming from other top infrastructure funds or industry from top renewable energy developers. I work in the space and I'm not sure if being certified is going to help you much as the skillset that's required in the industry is very niche, highly sector-specific, and technical.   

Hi,

thanks for your response, it's appreciated. Given what you say, it sounds like the most viable way in for me would be to network with people at our industrial clients in renewables and see whether that could lead anywhere. Would it be roles in corporate strategy / development that would be most relevant?

Again, thanks for your help.

That could be a good starting point. I think any of the following roles will give you a much better chance at landing these coveted buyside roles in renewables / infrastructure: 1) Working on the investments side at a renewable energy developer where you work on acquisitions of utility-scale renewable assets, 2) Project finance arms of banks (i.e. Japanese / French banks are the most active in the space), 3) Investment banking at a good coverage group in Power & Utilities / Infrastructure or at a pureplay renewables advisory firm (there's a good number of boutiques active in the space)

Hi,

just popping in again to say that I have been offered a corporate banking position focused on renewables and infrastructure in the largest bank in my country. From what I understand, the role would mostly be normal corporate loans, some project finance, and the odd acquisition financing. Hoping that's good enough to later on have a chance in private equity / debt focused on energy / infrastructure / real assets.

Thanks again for your help!

Hmm...I do know there are legacy O&G teams based out of Houston that are working with some of the oil majors who are now looking to participate in the energy transition. If you show strong interest in the field and that you did your research, I'm sure making the pivot won't be too difficult given your general background in finance. 

CAIA will not help at all.

If you're looking for a career transition, the CAIA just isn't going to do it. You need to hit a "career reset" and traditionally only a full time MBA does the trick, potentially followed by banking. 

If you're not looking at b-school, one idea would be do the CFA program (much tougher than the CAIA and more respected) and try to transition to a sell side job covering the sector at a small firm. But even that would be very difficult, as given your years of experience you may be seen as too senior. 

I don't know if networking is going to help either as it's a pretty big transition given your work experience.

Sorry mate.

Hi, thanks for your input. I was indeed a bit worried that I might be seen as too senior to start at the bottom while not having the required background to enter at a higher level. Seems like this is certainly going to be difficult (not like I'm about to stop trying) but at least then I won't waste my time with the CAIA

Again, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Aut voluptas dolor consequatur dolor commodi. Repellat dolorum et sunt aperiam debitis. Praesentium vel natus magnam hic assumenda quia nostrum. Ea unde sit et at sint. Perspiciatis laudantium architecto itaque sunt.

Voluptas sunt tempore ullam repellat. Eveniet vero placeat soluta quasi mollitia iste aut. Esse ut qui quidem id occaecati. Suscipit qui in officiis dolores incidunt ab. Ut atque perferendis amet aperiam.

Aspernatur corrupti dolores deleniti consequatur. Sequi eos assumenda quis doloribus voluptas beatae. Iure et voluptates aut illo et distinctio officia. Dignissimos quaerat quia rerum eius. Facilis vel sit quas qui tenetur. Accusamus recusandae voluptate qui asperiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”