Can a company's stock be undervalued by $ 340 a share? Seems a bit impossible to me

So I being working on a case study I'm planning to present to an Alumni and after doing a dcf I with the perpetuity method using a 2 % growth rate in line with inflation and a 8.2 % wacc I get a share price of $389.28 and by doing a ebitda multiple of 12x which is in line with the industry according to the comps I get a share price of $160.17. Which is still high but looks more reasonable that the first choice. so is there a possible for such things to happen or did I made a mathematical mistake in my projections most of the drivers for the model had been pull from ER reports.

edit: read this as undervalued "at" $340 a share, not "by."

if the stock price is very high it's certainly possible, but if you're talking US stocks, there aren't many that even trade that high. if you're looking at berkshire hathaway class A, $340 added to the current price would only be 0.16% upside, so yeah in that case it's possible, but I'm cherry picking there.

Best Response

So the share price is $50 now? Something is definitely wrong - those two per shr numbers shouldn't be that different from each other. Couple things you can do to check.

Put your terminal value over your terminal year EBITDA. What's the multiple? I'd bet it's way too high. Fix your cash flows or your terminal assumptions so it's reasonable

What's your NPV / TEV multiple of 2015 ebitda? Does it make sense?

What's your 2015 OCF yield (2015 OCF / your calculated NPV plus net cash)? Does it make sense?

What are you putting the 12x multiple on? past EBITDA or future EBITDA? if you're using past and future EBITDA is expected to increase materially for some reason then it'll understate the valuation.

$160 is roughly 3x $50. So you're saying that right now, the company trades at 4x (12 divided by 3x) EBITDA and it should trade at 12x? I don't think it's likely that something is trading that far away from where its comps do....

I made some tweaks to the calculation I was using a Wallstreet prep template for the analysis now the intrinsic value is $128.86. current price $51.01 the name of the Firm is Bristol Myers as for the assumptions Im using the analyst estimates from an Equity Research Report from JPM the Analyst even states the firm as overweight and that it trades at 31X of their eps estimates. How about if I fix my 3 statement model based on absolute projections from 3 year averages?

Rerum fuga voluptates ut ad enim delectus repudiandae. Odio voluptas in iure molestiae iusto et quia dicta. Eveniet ut reiciendis fugit laborum doloribus tempore. Maxime ab sequi ut deleniti et ea.

Et eos officiis quos suscipit earum aperiam fugiat. Sint non corporis nemo beatae.

Ea dicta qui dolor repellendus facilis dolorem commodi. Voluptatum unde veritatis facilis numquam molestiae omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”