Can one go from Back Office to Front Office?
Wanted to float this question to the boards and see what kind of feedback comes my way.
Currently working in an operations role of a top-tier hedge fund and want to carve a path toward a role as an investment analyst.
I understand the magnitude of the impossibility, but I am trying to be tactical and get a feel for what I am up against.
For the purpose of this exercise, I'd like the below inputs to be taken into consideration.
- I have ~7 years in operations
- CFA & CAIA Designation
- PE and IB
Items I've considered / am working on below.
- Wharton MBA (feel strongly about my odds)
- The "why not sooner/why now" questions
- Building a deck of investment theses with models/backup for when opportunity strikes
- Networking with anyone and everyone I've brushed shoulders with in the of former firms (not sure if smart to network internally in this respect).
While a top-tier MBA would cost me two years time and some income, I would pursue if deemed absolutely necessary; working with the logic that this is a 20-30 year decision.
Thank you for taking the time, I appreciate all feedback and advice!