Canada IB vs PE Comp Megathread

I've seen lots of questions on IB vs. PE comp in Canada.  Thought it would be helpful to post what I know.  Full disclosure - I am a longtime lurker posting from a throwaway account.  10 years in the industry working at one of the places below.

Canadian IB Comp (Big 5 Bank)

Base Salary:Analyst $90kAssociate $120kVP $150k

All-in:Analyst 1 $150kAnalyst 2 $170kAnalyst 3 $200kAssociate 1 $250kAssociate 2 $300kAssociate 3 $350kVP $400k - $650kED $700k - $1mMD $1m+

Comp will vary slightly from above based on ranking ie. low, mid or top bucket for Analysts/Associate and and revenue generation for VP/ED/MD.  I can’t comment on BB or boutique comp, so will let others chime.

Pension Fund PE (CPPIB)

All-in:Analyst $140k - $200kAssociate $200k - $300kSenior Associate $300k - $400kPrincipal  $400k - $600kSenior Principal $600k - $800kMD $800k+

OTPP comp is comparable to above.  Keep in mind that their titling is a bit different because OTPP doesn’t have a “Sr Associate” position.  In other words, a CPPIB Sr Associate = OTPP Principal.  Similarly, CPPIB Principal = OTPP Senior Principal.  CPPIB Senior Principal = OTPP Director.  MDs are the same. 

Smaller pension funds like PSP, AimCo, IMCO, HOOPP, OPTrust, BCI will pay less.  Onex/Altus pay the most - inline with US megafunds.

One final word of caution when comparing IB vs. PE comp.  Investment banks typically promote on a 3 year cycle, whereas large pension funds like CPPIB promote on a 4 year cycle.  In other words if you were 6 years out of undergrad and a direct promote from Analyst>Associate>VP in IB, your comparable tenure at a place like CPPIB might only be Associate or Sr Associate.  

Feel free to chime in below if you have other datapoints.  

Editing post to add a few confirmed datapoints from the comments below:

All-in comp:
OMERS Rotational Analyst 1st year - $120k - $130k 
CPPIB PE Analyst 1st year - $140k - $160k
Big 5 Bank Capital Markets Rotational Analyst 1st year - $100k
Big 5 Bank ER Associate 1st year - $130k
Big 5 Bank IB Associate 1st year (direct promote from analyst in 2 years) = $220k

1st year associate out of undergrad will make 80-100k all-in. 1st year associates with 2-3 years prior experience eg. Big 4 accounting take home 120k (90k base, 30k bonus). By your 4th or 5th year you’ll be in the low-200s. Super experienced ER associates will top out in the high-200s.

Promotions are unpredictable since you’re basically waiting for your analyst to leave so you can take their seat. New VPs with coverage of a few names will start in the low-300s. There are MDs on the street making $1m but that’s more the exception than the norm these days.

How is ~80k total possible? ER, for example, is part of RBC's Global Rotation Program and the base alone is 80k for that. 

3 yrs corporate -> research 1st year asso. The bank I was with had standardized 120k base for all associates regardless of exp. Based on talking to a couple of my buddies in Big 5 research, it seems like base range between 110 - 120k. No post grad, just undergrad degree.

One of my friends claims OTPP pays less than CPP. 85k base + 5% bonus for analysts. How true is that? 

Yeah, I've heard the same thing for OTPP's new analyst program (direct placement into a group). From what I've heard, less that 100k all in for a first year analyst. Anyone else confirm? 

Also not sure if the CPP numbers are true for 1st year analyst in the rotation program; I've heard that CPP ranges from 100-110k all in first year. OMERS Rotational pays the best (120-130k all in). Can anyone confirm?

False. OTPP new grad is 100k base + signing + performance bonus

Is that for Private Capital/Infra groups only? Seems pretty high comp for a pension fund

Just adding on to this comment with an anecdotal datapoint:

My firm (current invested + dry powder of c. $5bn; global mandate) recently greenlit a Canadian office. Pay will be the same dollar amount as USD positions, but in CAD. So if associates in the American offices are paid target US$250k, then Canadian associates are paid target CA$250k.

Does anyone have info on the mid-market PE funds, i.e. Birch Hill, Imperial, ONCAP (pays like Onex?), TorQuest etc?

Agentis pays above street, but hours are worse supposedly.

Any insight on buyside public equities in Canada? Thinking Mawer, Waratah, Gluskin, Turtlecreek, etc

I've heard Mawer pays 1st year Equity Analysts 120k all-in (80 base + 40 bonus).  That's on par with buy-side public equities shops in Toronto.  Lots of variance between firms though as you move through the ranks since progression isn't as structured as say IB or PE.  

Anyone know comp numbers at pension funds for non-PE investing roles/capital markets?

BBs and EBs in Toronto generally pay above the Canadian banks at pretty much every level pre-Director/MD. Top-bucket analysts can make $20-60k more per year (vs. analysts at big-5), with the top end being the firms that straight convert their USD analyst comp to CAD. At the associate/VP level the premium is probably around $50k+ but with more variability depending on performance and deal flow. At the MD level, performance matters way more than platform and strong MDs can get paid on either platform

How are the hours at US BBs in Toronto? Is it as bad as NYC IB hours? I.e. consistently 80+ hrs?

Heard no/very low bonuses across most banks this year due to lack of deal flow
GS & Citi Calgary literally paid no bonus while hours went up to pretty ridiculous amounts since WFH apparently

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the Calgary BB offices did not pay "literally no bonus" this year and was actually relatively in line with prior years despite covid. Yes WFH hours have gotten worse but to say that they paid out no bonus is a total lie. 

Source - close friend works at one of the BBs in Calgary you named.  

Has anyone successfully been able to negotiate a slightly higher base for a new grad IB/PE Analyst role or would recommend atleast trying to negotiate? Obviously these are standard across the board which is why I would imagine the answer to the above is no but thought I'd see if anyone had other opinions

Does anyone know if VPs / MDs can flow their income through a corporation?

If this VP base is real, an absolute shit show to be making $150K base for that level of seniority and years of banking experience. I do understand that Canadian IB positions pay different than US, but this makes me beg the question as to why anyone would do 3-4 years at the Associate level to make $255k (150K + bonus of 70%) only for it to be taxed at an effective tax rate of ~38% and take home only $158K in earnings.

Would love to hear from anyone who is at the VP level in Canada for clarity on this as it makes no sense to me (genuinely curious, not being a prick re: compensation).

Any info on how comp compares between CPP and OTPP at the associate level onwards?

Aut dolorem possimus accusamus quia. Sed mollitia iure molestias reprehenderit voluptate. Debitis cupiditate laudantium libero et rem beatae delectus. Impedit ab neque eum dolor nulla laborum. Nulla quia quae vero ullam. Officiis itaque cupiditate eligendi est asperiores. Et praesentium ipsum harum est aut in earum.

Perferendis excepturi laborum rerum corporis quos repellendus amet. Sint ut voluptate sint asperiores. Excepturi voluptatum velit repudiandae dignissimos consequatur modi nihil. Tempore delectus eum iusto repellendus explicabo. Eum praesentium voluptatem cumque itaque reiciendis. Corrupti quis maxime inventore nisi sit.

Ipsum sit corrupti eum a. Eos in nulla excepturi. Magni debitis minus cum et ea laboriosam animi. Aut dolor cupiditate quisquam et. Harum sunt perspiciatis nulla porro. Et possimus non ut aut.

Expedita quibusdam voluptatem et quisquam ipsum sunt dolorem. Qui aut beatae reprehenderit.

Dolores velit id minus rerum est nobis. Sapiente facilis magnam consequatur cum dolor aut occaecati possimus. Amet est beatae corrupti quo consectetur. Sint nam error voluptates officiis reiciendis laborum quod. Autem qui officiis perspiciatis omnis.

Vero non rerum maiores perferendis sunt vitae quo. Quaerat minus in minus sequi placeat in ut. Optio veritatis non suscipit ducimus nesciunt. Dolor et dolorem recusandae dolorem voluptatem sed. Quasi soluta impedit ut velit nulla non nihil. Autem laboriosam illo sed tempora rerum illo veritatis ipsa.

In veritatis asperiores culpa aut ipsa. Molestias rerum est velit rerum dolorem vero qui. Fugit asperiores incidunt qui fugit molestiae quisquam aut. Accusamus aut ad velit saepe quos eveniet molestias. Esse et repellendus enim quia velit eveniet. Et cupiditate tempora esse maiores quam eum.

Error reprehenderit deleniti velit voluptas ipsa ut et. Facilis veritatis iure recusandae nisi qui distinctio deleniti consequatur. Voluptas provident ducimus in tenetur rerum atque.

Similique id sit illum. Provident enim voluptatem suscipit voluptatem.

Ab voluptatem modi aliquid quasi. Veritatis neque qui amet quaerat recusandae voluptatem. Cum dolor dolor iusto laborum nostrum ut non. Possimus suscipit vel occaecati dolor et et harum officia.

Autem qui et consectetur et hic rerum nobis. Sint et et aut alias ex eum dolor. Rerum doloremque qui est eveniet incidunt magnam.

Voluptas delectus odit natus sint eaque. Iure harum consectetur consequatur excepturi fugit ea quia.

Nihil minima et quo dolores sint quisquam. Voluptatibus sequi autem excepturi temporibus qui enim voluptatum. Est et veniam ullam repudiandae amet quam. Tempore quae commodi non adipisci.

Aliquid deserunt laudantium voluptatum aspernatur magni repellat. Tempora eos minima quam rerum fugiat harum quis. Ut cupiditate sed saepe sint et autem dignissimos ea. Cupiditate natus impedit unde aut ut qui rem odit. Beatae nihil velit est voluptas eius.

Magni velit ut ut. Illum quas autem quas. Nisi exercitationem ut nihil. Et corporis excepturi nihil velit. Et officia illo tempora illo. Temporibus voluptates illo placeat fuga laborum suscipit consequuntur. Sed ullam vitae officia doloremque. Earum eligendi vero mollitia ut.

Quasi nulla consequatur ipsa occaecati aperiam esse. Voluptas enim voluptatem animi ut.

Quasi maxime deserunt quas modi veniam at. Aut in qui quam qui eligendi voluptates eum. Officia non sunt aliquam. Unde in voluptas impedit dolor a inventore.

Magnam omnis ut quis minima. Eius qui perspiciatis aut iure nam. Et vel eum voluptate accusamus.

Eos pariatur molestiae nesciunt ea corrupti. Ipsa dignissimos vero voluptas et nemo soluta sit. Corporis dolorum at sunt omnis magnam. Non consequuntur enim recusandae autem sed. Aut totam nostrum ratione animi et maxime.

Quae hic rerum corporis corrupti reiciendis et quae. Voluptatum officia quia quo necessitatibus neque et. Repellat fugit quae adipisci quis ut.

Asperiores libero perferendis ut in nam et repellat rem. Odit a delectus cum reiciendis voluptatem. Quis dolorem corrupti repellendus id maiores soluta mollitia. Et accusamus suscipit totam sint et in aut. Incidunt velit dicta rem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”