Canadian Applicant Converted GPA vs % Average - 3.35 GPA but 80% average

Hey guys, first time I've posted on WSO but have been reading for years now and hopefully you guys can help me out. Currently, I'm a rising senior at an undergrad b-school in Canada and am looking to apply for FT i-banking in the U.S. One of the biggest challenges is that I basically ruined my GPA this year and went from a 3.8 to a ~3.35, but my cumulative average is still 80%. I was wondering if its okay to just put my % average when applying, or if a resume without a GPA will be auto-screened out. Any advice regarding my situation would be much appreciated. Cheers!

http://ssp.mcmaster.ca/111-resources/resources/137-gpa-conversion-chart…

I would personally put GPA as that is what is most universally accepted and recognized. And I'm not sure if you are calculating it correctly, as 3.7 is equal to a minimum of 80% in Canada. Use the link above for proper conversion standards

And leave your GPA on the resume, else your interviewer will be wondering why it isn't on there and will probably assume its bad. Even if you GPA isn't on the resume, they will see your marks and find out regardless

Thanks for the response, appreciate it. From my understanding, you're supposed to calculate GPA by converting each individual grade and then averaging it (may be wrong). Unfortunately, I don't go to McMac and my school doesn't convert averages so I've been using OMMAS...

No worries man, happy to help. And yes that's correct, to calculate your GPA you use the chart by finding your Canadian university's grading system (there's a legend further below in the link I posted). Then you need to convert every single grade for each course you have taken to a 4.0 scale equivalent as shown in the chart, and then take an average of the 4.0 scale equivalent and that is your GPA.

I'm not sure what OMMAS is (unless you are thinking of OMSAS, which it the chart is actually straight from OMSAS), but I can assure you that the chart I posted is the correct way of 4.0 GPA conversion in Canada. That McMaster link is nationally-universal; it is actually the Canadian Med School Conversion chart, but it is the same 4.0 GPA conversion chart for all other industry fields, including business and finance

Eveniet expedita necessitatibus libero molestiae iure quae ipsum. Velit rem id asperiores dolore voluptatum fugiat et. Inventore sint iure vitae dolor qui fugiat est. Enim eos quibusdam laborum aliquam minima. Earum et ut accusamus cupiditate porro soluta quo aut. Et et ad suscipit est. Consectetur ea sed sed nihil et.

Sed alias ipsam adipisci eveniet veritatis et. Vero quaerat fuga soluta qui animi. Incidunt fuga officiis voluptas sed. Dolor sed dolorum qui commodi totam unde.

Tempore iste consectetur doloremque libero beatae. Quae consequuntur non voluptatem veniam. Error corporis odio nesciunt sequi. Rerum eos eos natus laborum fuga.

Quisquam incidunt non eum commodi. Et perferendis accusamus ab odit commodi modi odit. Saepe aut consectetur dicta quo. Sed est non ut ab ut. Dolor neque accusantium voluptatum omnis consequuntur. Sint qui officiis deserunt. Laudantium voluptates illo eos error aut neque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”