Candy Crushed: How My $100 Candy Empire Collapsed

TLDR: I sold snacks in high school but got squeezed out by competition

Intro
While high schoolers these days are busy being Bitcoin millionaires and coding unicorn startups, I had the ingenious idea to sell candy and soda to my friends, Looking back, I actually learned a lot of business concepts from the venture and I feel like readers would appreciate learning some business basics while I describe the fall of my candy empire.

Stroke of Genius - My Market Opportunity
In freshman year of high school, I was dismayed to find out the campus swapped all the snacks in the vending machines to bland health foods and the sodas to Powerades. In the midst of that depressing period I thought "Hey, I miss having those snacks and I bet everyone else does too. Why don't I just sell my own?"

Broke High Schoolers - My Target Market
I don't know about your high school, but freshmen are broke. Even those with money sometimes went to school with no cash (before Venmo). $1 was the only price I could charge because most people only had $1 or 4 quarters. For my homies, I would extend a line of credit and keep tabs with a tiny notebook.

The Local Dealers - My Supply Chain
My biggest issue with the whole operation was getting consistent supply. I was a kid and couldn't order nearly enough at once to buy wholesale. In order to make a profit off $1 sales, I had only 3 suppliers:

1. Clearance sales from my local convenience stores
  2. Bulk order boxes from Costco
  3. 99 Cent store deals. Relax. I made sure expiration dates were a few months away

I often only had Twix, Hershey's Cookies & Cream, and Pepsi because they were on sale the most often at 50 cents each and sold the most volume at school.

Showtime - My Sales Channels
Monday to Friday, I would bring a swim bag filled with chocolate bars and an icebox with 9 sodas. I had 5 class periods and lunch to clear my inventory each day. 3rd and 4th period + lunch were my prime times. I would keep the chocolates on me throughout the day but kept the soda mostly in the locker since they only sold well at lunch.  Teachers didn't appreciate business going on in the classroom (even though a couple would buy some) so I limited commerce to inbetween class periods. Soda easily cleared out during lunch while my bars were great between classes. I had a working model but I was stuck in the same classes each day so my reach was limited.

Growth - My Scaling Strategy
At a certain point I decided it was time to scale the business and find ways to reach more people. I was able to pick up 2 friends as additional sales channels and made a profit sharing agreement with them. When I first came up with this, my goal was to hit more students in classes I couldn't reach, sacrificing some margin for bigger volumes. I would bring boxes of chocolate to school to supply my sellers who would then sell in their own channels and we split the margin. Unfortunately the execution of this didn't really pan out; my sellers were in the same grade as me and a lot of the students we sold to overlapped so we were cannibalizing sales from one other. Also, the incentive for them to sell was lower than mine since their commission per bar is split with the supplier, me. In the end I scrapped the expansion because getting it right would take too much extra work.

Attacked On Two Fronts - My Downfall
When I was the only player in town, things worked well. Sure there were other candy sellers but our territories infrequently overlapped. Then one day, 2 competing sellers emerged and with competition on both fronts in price AND quality, I knew the good times were ending:

• Shoebox Guy: One guy gunned for selection and had a wide variety of gummies, chocolates, and snacks organized in a shoebox. He emphasized diversity in choices and people loved that. I didn't like selling most of what he had because my suppliers didn't have good prices on them. Still his presence took a lot of my chocolate bar market share away.
  • Dynamic Duo: The two sellers worked together to sell chocolate bars and Shasta Cola. For those who don't know what Shasta Cola is, it's a brand of soda in the discount stores that sell for less than a quarter a can. At the end of the day, high school students are low low end consumers and care a lot about price. Dynamic Duo sold their Shasta Cola for 50 cents! There was no way I could compete with that selling Pepsi and I didn't have easy access to Shasta Cola. I knew their presence became a problem when I wasn't clearing out my icebox at lunch anymore.

Leaving the Business - Not Worth
At a certain point I hung up the towel and stopped selling. It wasn't worth fighting both fronts and there wasn't a large enough market worth competing for. Not going to lie, another BIG secondary reason I wanted to stop was because I ate too much of my supply. It's too easy to have a Pepsi and a couple of Twix bars each day when there's a pile of it on your table. As much as I disliked swim practice, sometimes it was probably the only thing holding me back from a heart attack.

Looking Back - Advice to My Younger Self
Yeah yeah I get it. You're a kid, can't drive, and don't even know what "gross margins" mean but I'm still not impressed. Looking back I think I should have:

1. Stopped worrying about margins on each bar! You're missing a whole bunch of untapped customers by limiting your range of offerings. Additional volume would have offset the smaller margins.
  2. Scale across grades, not just your friends. You need to branch out a little more to make sure there's no customer overlap.
  3. Pay better attention to what people want. They asked for Sour Patch Kids, you did not provide. Sales would probably be better if you kept your ear to the ground.
  4. Don't. Eat. The. Candy.

You can check out the full post here: https://wp.me/p9BDUt-1I

Hey ThatOtherGuy, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I'm here since nobody responded to your topic! Bummer...could just be unlucky but one of these topics will help shed some light:

Or maybe the following WSO members have something to say: amydo @llar" @Timothy-Huang"

Fingers crossed that one of those helps you.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Aliquam dolorem ullam ut qui et recusandae omnis. Omnis eius sit accusamus doloribus repudiandae nesciunt. Deleniti est minus ullam animi et exercitationem molestiae. Sed neque possimus aut accusantium ratione nostrum. Libero aliquid dolores sed quisquam.

Et ipsa aut magni et aut. Enim commodi aut totam quo illo. Voluptate voluptatem non ducimus et. Molestiae dolore odit laborum quaerat rerum. Voluptatibus suscipit facilis animi quisquam esse fugiat tempora in. Repudiandae sed cumque id et debitis. Et molestiae aperiam molestias eaque rem.

Aut beatae debitis id id autem voluptatem quasi. Aut fugit fugiat iste molestiae aut quasi consectetur. Ratione aut debitis et. Aut ea ut soluta suscipit voluptate deleniti.

Culpa dolor nihil dolor et. Quo non praesentium accusamus tempore autem dolorem. Error dolore soluta dolorem nulla. Aut excepturi iusto qui illo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”