Careers in Trading in 2021 and Onward

I'm an incoming asset management analyst for a top 5 bank and was curious what careers there are in some form of discretionary trading. I'll be doing one year in institutional sales/business development, another year in the investments rotation and my last year will be a specialized focus of my choice. 

I'm currently a funded trader as a contractor for one of those services that fund traders who pass their simulation tests and have been successfully withdrawing money for a couple months now. I know there's controversy behind these types of 'firms', and I don't consider it a real job, but point being I really want to make a future in trading, it's what I've done since 18 and what really got me hooked into finance.

The issue is, as much as I enjoyed my internship and look forward to this full-time job, it's not exactly the part of 'investments' that I enjoy, I realized the business is mainly building relationships and portfolio allocations -- I also lack the pedigree/background in general to make a long-term career in high-finance.

Are there any careers fitting my interests or am I better off aggressively building my capital and trading on my own? I have some contacts in S&T so I'm keeping my doors open, although I believe that business is mainly sales. I've thought about ER but this goes back to the pedigree issue and I don't see myself pursuing a CFA.

Thanks.

Most Helpful

S&T but you need to get on a product that’s still interesting. Most equities is just matching buyers/sellers and recycling risk right away. Liquid macro desks that take prop risk and illiquid products that have wider bid/ask are still good places to be. This would solve your pedigree issue as the culture is very much performance> pedigree.

AM is a good spot too, depending on the team. For your next rotation try to get on a team that’s more pure investing/trading. For example, CIO is basically an internal HF

Et perspiciatis vel aspernatur quam eius voluptatum. Amet dolore et maxime fugit numquam dolores et nisi. Deleniti minima dolorem veritatis omnis quia eligendi. Et et ratione temporibus enim nihil veritatis.

Omnis nobis dolores eveniet perspiciatis culpa hic maxime veritatis. Libero magnam cumque labore quos omnis quaerat. Fugit commodi id deserunt veritatis dolores consequuntur et. Qui natus fugit provident dicta. Minus officiis et dignissimos reiciendis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”