CFA 2020 potential cancellation notification

Pre-covid I had signed up for CFA level one in June. That got postponed to December. I have now received notification from CFA that even December sittings could potentially be cancelled/rescheduled.

I am literally losing all motivation to do anything this year because everything keeps getting delayed. On a side note, there is further news that now London may be put in a lockdown and 10 pm curfew mandate within a few days… I do not know how much more we can all take of this.

I  now wonder whether it is even worthwhile doing the CFA in the current situation we find ourselves in? Do you think the CFA remains a worthwhile investment of time and money? I'm self paying, my firm is not paying for me, I am really tempted to just cash in a refund

EDIT: this is the notification I received.  

We have received many questions about the likelihood of December exam cancellations. We know how badly many of you want to complete the December exam on schedule, and how frustrating it is to live with the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 situation. While it is premature for CFA Institute to make final decisions about the exam, we DO anticipate that some exam locations will be cancelled. But we also believe that even where government regulations allow us to administer the exam, it is your right and responsibility to make decisions for yourself about your own health and safety. 

If you think that the December exam may be cancelled in your area, do not wait for circumstances to decide for you. We encourage you to make alternate plans for your exam now.

•Until 20 October, you may withdraw from December and register for any of the available exam dates throughout 2021 at no additional cost. Register soon to get your preferred time and location. As a reminder,

•2021 Level I exams will be offered in February, May, August, and November.

•2021 Level II exams will be offered in May and August.

•2021 Level III exams will be offered in May and November.

•If you have circumstances that require changing your December test center to a new location, you may change your test center to any venue with available seating no later than 30 September. We cannot guarantee that your new test center will not be cancelled.

•If your December exam is cancelled, you will be notified promptly.

•You will immediately become eligible for a deferral to any CBT exam window in 2021.

•If you prefer, you may opt for a refund. Refund requests will be accepted between 7 December and 21 December 2020. All fees paid with your original registration for June 2020 will be refunded. Please anticipate up to 120 days (21 April 2021) for delivery of your refund.

Rest assured, our top priority is the well-being of our candidates, exam administrators, employees and communities. We will work diligently to ensure our administrations adhere to the guidelines determined by medical experts, local officials and best practices. We wish you and your family good health in the coming year. 

CFA Institute

Most Helpful

Did you really get this notification? This is all CFA has on their website so it doesn't mean you should infer it's getting cancelled:

We appreciate this may be a concerning time for candidates. We are carefully tracking pandemic-related restrictions around the globe. If local situations require a change in plans, we will adapt as needed, following local public health policies. We will be implementing social distancing protocols in exam locations. As the December exam date gets closer, we will react to specific situations related to the pandemic and inform candidates of our plans.

yes. this is what they sent me today. 

We have received many questions about the likelihood of December exam cancellations. We know how badly many of you want to complete the December exam on schedule, and how frustrating it is to live with the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 situation. While it is premature for CFA Institute to make final decisions about the exam, we DO anticipate that some exam locations will be cancelled. But we also believe that even where government regulations allow us to administer the exam, it is your right and responsibility to make decisions for yourself about your own health and safety. 

If you think that the December exam may be cancelled in your area, do not wait for circumstances to decide for you. We encourage you to make alternate plans for your exam now.

•Until 20 October, you may withdraw from December and register for any of the available exam dates throughout 2021 at no additional cost. Register soon to get your preferred time and location. As a reminder,

•2021 Level I exams will be offered in February, May, August, and November.

•2021 Level II exams will be offered in May and August.

•2021 Level III exams will be offered in May and November.

•If you have circumstances that require changing your December test center to a new location, you may change your test center to any venue with available seating no later than 30 September. We cannot guarantee that your new test center will not be cancelled.

•If your December exam is cancelled, you will be notified promptly.

•You will immediately become eligible for a deferral to any CBT exam window in 2021.

•If you prefer, you may opt for a refund. Refund requests will be accepted between 7 December and 21 December 2020. All fees paid with your original registration for June 2020 will be refunded. Please anticipate up to 120 days (21 April 2021) for delivery of your refund.

Rest assured, our top priority is the well-being of our candidates, exam administrators, employees and communities. We will work diligently to ensure our administrations adhere to the guidelines determined by medical experts, local officials and best practices. We wish you and your family good health in the coming year. 

CFA Institute

Ooof, I'd cut my losses and wait till June if I were you. I didn't even bother signing up for Dec 2020 (did May 21) as there is so much uncertainty right now. By next year even if we don't have the vaccine CFA will surely have gotten much better and handling this after a trial run in Dec so might as well wait till then. Just my two cents, I know it's hard to hear after the hours you've probably put in

I think it's a recent change in conjunction with next years computerised testing.

lotsofhotwater

I got the email announcement of the new exam schedule and switch to computer based testing in early August. 

That is incorrect. This is from their website

CFA Institute is transitioning all CFA exams to computer-based testing. The December 2020 exam is the last paper-based exam; exams in 2021 will be computer-based for all levels. 

Received the same email today. I understood it as referring to local rules and regulations concerning corona. "While it is premature for CFA Institute to make final decisions about the exam, we DO anticipate that some exam locations will be cancelled." I think that after cancelling the June exam in March (knee-jerk reaction if you ask me) they are more likely to take a measured approch for December.

Array

As others, got this too. I really don't know what to do now, but I think I'm going to just pray it happens in December. That way, if it gets delayed again, then I'll have finished everything and can just do mocks ad nauseam until I actually know everything (instead of just cramming per usua).

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Guys - don't overthink this. Defer if you can. They are clearly screaming from the rooftop that your odds of taking this thing in December shrink by the day. Curriculum is frozen, I believe, and most providers are letting you roll over. 

I get wanting to get it over with, but, it just is what it is. 

you're right. I have started steps to move it to Feb 21. I want to get it over with but if fate is against me, cant fight it .... presume with the multiple sittings next year onwards  there is unprecedented opportunity  to gain CFA in 1 year?

Consequuntur dolorem voluptas reiciendis consequatur nihil. Qui corrupti natus enim voluptatem. Rerum quaerat ipsum sunt ea.

Dolor dolor veritatis inventore similique. Vel suscipit ipsa minus enim sit. Et inventore autem sint incidunt quae sit consequatur. Deserunt rerum aut quia sed. Qui ipsam recusandae sit voluptatem voluptate.

Sit eos et eum itaque. Odit eius repellendus et laboriosam rerum atque qui. Voluptas eos placeat est itaque quidem molestiae sed nesciunt. Ut doloremque nihil quidem fugit et et rerum nobis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”