Passed Level 2, pumped but already anxious about level 3. Considering taking a break instead of going right into it June 2018. Did most of you guys go 3 years in a row and just finish it or spread out 2 and 3?

Level 3 is probably less quanty than level 2. More of a case study/ essay format where you are constructing portfolios, adhering to ethics and "client needs/risk tolerance".. stuff like that. I also want a break to focus on work and life, 3 years in a row of night classes after work kind of sucks and burns you out idk something to consider.

Unless you have a major reason not to sit again next year, just get Level 3 over and done with.

I did all 3 in consecutive years and was glad it was finally over.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Congrats. How many pages is the reading for each level? I am considering on applying for lvl 1 by Aug 16 deadline but I'm not sure if I will have enough time due to my busy schedule. For the Series 7 (kind of unrelated) the reading in Kaplan was about 660 pages and was rather dense, so how many pages are there for the Schwese notes level 1? For someone with finance/econ knowledge how dense is the material?

For June? Def get the "secret sauce" to lighten the reading to about 200 pages or so and then you can focus on needs from there. Best bet is dedicate about 1 or 2 hours per weekday (commute + lunch) and a little more on weekends (aim for 3 hours per day) puts you at about 200 hours in 3 months if you slack a little 200 in 4 months which is more than enough time to fine tune things before june exam

FrattyLiver:
I meant for December. How about the actual, real reading material how long is that?

Level 1 is pretty easy. Level 2 is the exam that 60% of people who have already passed level 1 fail.

Here is my advice: study 100 hours for level 1 and either study 150 hours more for level 2 than you studied for level 1, or swear off the fricking exam (which you will probably do when you hit 150 hours anyways).

Fuck the CFA, find a fun hobby. Get a technical SCUBA certification. Or get a pilot's license.

the CFAI reading material is way too long and designed to overwhelm you. Aside from the Ethics portion and their practice problems, you should not use their materials. Buy secret sauce and some practice questions from wiley or something for $50 (2 full exams.) Utilize youtube if you have to, or do a kaplan course. If you plan on just self studying with the materials you get with the sign up fee you will just be making things way more difficult than it is. Level 1 is a mile wide and an inch deep. You need to know a lot of areas at the very simplest level, so if you plan it right it's really not a hard exam.

guggroth93:
the CFAI reading material is way too long and designed to overwhelm you. Aside from the Ethics portion and their practice problems, you should not use their materials. Buy secret sauce and some practice questions from wiley or something for $50 (2 full exams.) Utilize youtube if you have to, or do a kaplan course. If you plan on just self studying with the materials you get with the sign up fee you will just be making things way more difficult than it is. Level 1 is a mile wide and an inch deep. You need to know a lot of areas at the very simplest level, so if you plan it right it's really not a hard exam.

Schweser/Kaplan sucks. The prep questions were written by eighth graders, and it really shows on quant.

CFAI material isn't as efficient, but if nothing else do yourself a favor and use their test prep questions as your metric, not Schweser.

Disagree.

Schweser boils down the material to what you need to pass. QBank is great for practicing concepts and formulas (especially for Level I & II), and their practice exams are harder than the real thing.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

LeveragedTiger:
Disagree.

Schweser boils down the material to what you need to pass. QBank is great for practicing concepts and formulas (especially for Level I & II), and their practice exams are harder than the real thing.

That's because 10% of their questions are so badly written there's no correct answer. On another 5%, they have the wrong answer! At least on quant. This is coming from someone who does this for a living and did all of the godawful PhD econometrics and stats classes and ground out all of the painful math behind ARMA, GARCH, etc.

Garbage in, garbage out. If you're crazy enough to take the CFA Level II and need test prep questions, the most reliable ones are the CFAI's.

That said, in 900 hours, you can accumulate nearly enough flying time to qualify for a type rating in a jet. Why not go for that?

oh I'm not sure. Their "secret sauce" is a condensed approx. 250 page version of the CFAI study materials they give you with the exam. Those look like their no condensed form, which doesn't help much. like LeveragedTiger said their qbank is great too because the questions are generally more difficult than the actual exam and the secret sauce trims the fat on the material so you only study what you need. I used the secret sauce, kaplan 3 day weekend bootcamp, and bought some extra practice exams from Wiley for both Level 1 and Level 2 and it helped me a lot. Do whatever you think you can stick to without slacking off, but relying only on CFAI who wants you to fail and pay more and fail and pay more and fail again seems foolish to me when there are other resources out there made to help you PASS. I believe the more expensive products will even do refunds or partial refunds if you do not pass, but that is probably overkill for L1. Good luck

Best Response

Do not underestimate the CFA exams. Level I is easier for finance undergrad majors, but still not easy. Level II is easy for no one and requires serious effort to pass.

The CFAI material (included in your registration fee) will always have the most comprehensive information, but is easy to be overwhelmed and deterred from continuing studying (3000ish pages of material).

Kaplan will give you 80% of the info you need. Their questions are worded different from official CFAI questions and that can be a real burden if you only use Kaplan materials (1500ish total pages). Kaplan does have something called the "secret sauce" which is more of a template outline for the whole curriculum than lessons. Use it as a supplement to re-study closer to test time (200ish pages).

My advice, study via kaplan, do all the EoC questions and "blue box" questions from the official CFAI material, and download every mock exam you can.

Quant is 12% of Level I, 5-10% of Level II, and 0% of Level III, so not make-or-break material for any of the exams.

guggroth93:
the CFAI reading material is way too long and designed to overwhelm you.

The CFAI does not design material to overwhelm candidates. They create a thorough CBOK and LOSes to set a focus on what needs to be learned/mastered.

Just because you are overwhelmed does not mean it was the CFAI's intent to overwhelm you.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Congrats! I took and passed Level I a couple years ago and it was a tremendous sense of accomplishment. Be sure to celebrate, you earned it. 7/10 sections at 70+ is solid, that test is a behemoth.

ramadjaffri:
Congrats!

Unfortunately, I didn't pass my L2. Wondering if I should retry or focus on applying for business school.

Hell no.

You've surrendered O(300-500) hours of your life to the CFAI. Don't surrender another 600 (L2+L3).

Again, I think people underestimate how much time 600 hours is. For a quant, that's 1/4 of a full-time year.

Get into scuba diving and either discover and explore some new wrecks or get a cave cert. Then get some photos published in a magazine. THAT will get you into Booth or Northwestern, not the CFA.

I feel like you're trolling. Anyone pursuing a career in fundamental equity research (whether for a bank, independent research firm, mutual fund, or hedge fund) should definitely pursue the CFA. It's basically a requirement. OFC I would rather not spend another 600 hours studying for this damn thing but it's what must be done.

Array

Voluptatem adipisci unde natus quaerat et qui voluptas dolorem. Blanditiis tenetur vel et non voluptatem. Reprehenderit facere non est voluptatem provident. Voluptatem repudiandae quidem labore sed modi molestiae.

Ut architecto blanditiis accusamus ut inventore a dolorem aut. Dignissimos eos veritatis minus officiis animi eaque. Voluptates animi ut voluptatem magni officia est veritatis.

Voluptatem nostrum unde neque labore laboriosam. Possimus eos quidem voluptas delectus itaque veniam molestias. Distinctio quidem et quam aut minus velit sequi.

Sit totam eos quia unde ut dicta at. Impedit in autem quasi autem similique nesciunt et. Inventore dolorum est quae fuga aut. Nulla et maiores sed consequatur voluptas ab dolorum. Cum voluptatem nostrum temporibus et. Rerum esse beatae magnam amet et sed.

Neque aut saepe sint expedita ea in deserunt. Et iusto ea fuga placeat rerum omnis aut explicabo. Magnam aut possimus officia aut. Quaerat voluptatum quas veritatis aut magnam fugiat. Hic voluptatem assumenda beatae sed et reprehenderit tempore. Quae deleniti ipsam sint similique in laborum et. Ea asperiores tempora tenetur voluptate doloremque.

Voluptatem et nulla cupiditate a quia natus asperiores. Sed alias asperiores esse facilis magnam adipisci reiciendis. Optio ex qui provident perferendis sequi soluta et. Tempore ut exercitationem qui quia blanditiis quos. Qui dolor sunt sint vel non corporis. Cumque ea cumque voluptate fugiat a velit ut. Sed quis rerum perferendis ducimus amet porro inventore.

Array

Et quo aperiam tempore optio tempore eaque nisi. Dolor eum dolorum accusamus omnis ut reprehenderit aut quasi. Incidunt est eius vel labore neque voluptas. Minus culpa est qui aliquid. Quod quos aspernatur ea rem nisi occaecati et aut.

Repellat nisi blanditiis animi accusamus consequatur dolorum doloribus inventore. Soluta repellendus pariatur sunt odit. Quos natus asperiores rerum. Non consequatur nihil sed eum. Cum suscipit enim itaque labore illum et autem.

Vero dolorum culpa quisquam dolorem. Impedit assumenda corrupti adipisci alias itaque quasi. Ea aut recusandae unde in enim et consequatur. Quia autem hic dolorem occaecati dolor voluptate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”