CFA level 1 exam December 2015

Good luck to all of those taking level 1 tomorrow. Thought I'd make a thread for people who have taken CFA exams who could maybe offer tips for those taking the exam tomorrow. I probably won't be taking level 1 for 2-3 years but I will be studying for it extra early. I think I could probably find some free material online. I wish they had December test dates for level 2 and 3 so people could finish earlier but oh well.

Not too bad. Exam was very similar to official mocks, not at all similar to schweser end of chapter questions. Very few computational questions, and you could often just eyeball an answer. Very conceptual and a lot of "trivia". Exam could be passed without a calculator. Audio notes were helpful. Don't need to memorize a lot of formulas or ratios.

LongandShortofit:

Not too bad. Exam was very similar to official mocks, not at all similar to schweser end of chapter questions. Very few computational questions, and you could often just eyeball an answer. Very conceptual and a lot of "trivia". Exam could be passed without a calculator. Audio notes were helpful. Don't need to memorize a lot of formulas or ratios.

I'm taking it in June-- could you expand on which formuals you should memorize, and which were just asked in conceptual ways?

Best Response

What I did was take my first few mocks with the formula sheets. Whenever I needed to look up a formula I put a check mark next to it. I ended up only checking off maybe 10 formulas. I didn't put a check mark if I happened to remember the formula off the top of my head though.

Ethics rules bar disclosure of particular topics, so all references below are to non-official mock exams.

If you took out a pad of paper right now and wrote down what you thought were the most important 10-20 finance formulas, I would bet you would have "the list" if there is such a thing.

It is a difficult exam, I don't want to give you the wrong idea. I took 2 weeks off work to study and was putting in 10+hour days (in addition to prior studying) so it was all fairly fresh in my mind and in general I would say I am a strong test taker.

My point was just that you are better off memorizing different IFRS vs GAAP treatments, or the different types of durations than memorizing the formula sheets. Even for the FI section it would be about equally valuable to memorize the ways in which various instruments are quoted/traded as the formulas to actually value them.

When you start taking mocks you will see what it is like. My biggest advice is to move through the material as quickly as possible. Don't spend much time doing practice problems, just blast through the material. Make sure to note page numbers on your notes so you can go back to the material when your notes are insufficient.

One thing that really helped me was using different colors to distinguish IFRS vs GAAP. I used a pink pen or highlighter for IFRS and green for GAAP. I would always write the IFRS rule first, then GAAP. That really helped it stick in my mind. There was one question about capitalizing R&D costs and I just remember having an image in my mind of "pink" somewhere on my notecard about the topic. That was enough to answer the question correctly.

Quia sed quae consequatur excepturi dolorem dolores. Dolorem temporibus aut iusto velit nam.

Pariatur id consequatur ea aut et sit. Magni neque quasi eligendi iste. Recusandae porro qui asperiores non voluptas fugiat cumque perspiciatis. Numquam alias sed doloremque.

Est nostrum neque quaerat et ullam. Soluta aut asperiores impedit est voluptatem. Vel cupiditate ut sint facere. Vitae officia ipsa nesciunt temporibus.

Ea id explicabo fugiat ea consequatur aut nihil explicabo. Cupiditate et et recusandae non. Est vel aut eos eius illum. Incidunt dolor sint expedita quibusdam iure culpa molestias.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”