Chicago IBD 2020

I know this has been asked a lot before but I wanted to get a more recent perspective about IBD in Chicago as I am interested in moving the after graduating. Excluding the BBs and EBs, what are some good shops? Is recruiting as competitive as New York or is it easier? Is pay the same? What about exit ops?

Thanks!

Excluding BBs and EBs... William Blair I heard is really good in Chicago. They have a nice office too with a good view of the river. I think Baird is pretty good too.

I go to a Big 10 school that sends to both Chicago/NYC and for us recruiting to Chicago is less competitive than New York. Pay is slightly lower, but so is cost of living I think. Hours in Chicago are typically better than NYC, but exit ops would again be lower.

Baird is largely known out there, but I don’t know much about them. If you’re not asking about the EBs and BBs then this is the only one I’ve heard much about besides WB; WB is SOLID in Chicago, like the above poster said. They kill it in the # of deals they do each year. They’re also taking like 30 SAs for Chicago in 2021, compared to like 3-4 in their other offices.

Most Helpful

Change the title from IDB to IBD and you'll get more responses.

Apart from BBs and EBs, lots of MM shops operate in Chicago. HL, Baird, WB, Lincoln, and BGL come to mind while I've also come across smaller banks like Dresner, Stout, Baker Tilly, etc... and some sector specific banks. Pay is the same as NY offices (probably less at the smaller boutiques) but taxes and cost of living are lower. Not quite about exit ops but I've seen people move to GTCR, MDP, and other UMM/MM shops in Chicago and other midwestern citied after their analyst stint. I've also met two folks who went to work at MM shops in LA and SF but one-off cases.

Regardless, I've met with an executive HH from Chicago who also said that your buy-side recruiting will be much smoother if you choose to stay in Midwest region- this doesn't mean you're limiting yourself to the windy city if you can manage to connect with other HHs and put in the effort to travel for on-cycle/off-cycle recruiting.

How about including BB Chicago firms? Where do you see people from these offices go after their analyst stint?

Enim sunt quia velit voluptas. Est est ea recusandae ad sed vel maiores. Reiciendis aut consequatur quis et expedita aut.

Sequi velit quae dolore qui dolorum dolorem occaecati ipsum. Unde explicabo ab error officia praesentium sed. Aliquam et adipisci quia reiciendis est.

Ipsam est saepe aperiam ut neque aperiam. Laudantium soluta tempore molestiae nihil. Reprehenderit laborum ut aliquam ducimus. Suscipit et distinctio non facere. Ratione est error iure quis praesentium. Aliquid ipsa recusandae reiciendis voluptatum quasi exercitationem ea.

Sunt alias omnis ducimus aliquam autem velit. Et quo reiciendis magni id molestiae. Quod veritatis quasi ut et maiores. Laboriosam unde ducimus et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”