China's tech employees are fighting back against the "996" working hour philosophy

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/12/china-996/

Currently there's been a lot of press around Chinese tech workers protesting the "996" working hour philosophy, which stands for 9AM-9PM, 6 days a week. It's kind of interesting because the tech companies that have this "unofficial" policy (Alibaba, JD, Tencent) all pay very well, in some cases more than IBD. Obviously banking is a different industry, but it's funny how Americans and Europeans just "take it" while Chinese programmers are shouting outrage about essentially 72 hour work weeks, which would be a light week for most bankers.

I think we've come to expect that kind of working hour philosophy in banking. I would also push back on "just taking it" given the amount of bankers that leave for "greener" pastures.

Well the folks who decide to stay in finance. Just like the Chinese programmers can decide to move to a lower paying company that doesn't do 996, they decide to stay because of the superior comp

I was referring specifically to American and European finance employees. Also, Asian countries have longer work hours but not necessarily more work ethic. A large part of it is facetime (e.g. workers can't leave the office before their bosses). It's not uncommon to hear Japanese salarymen literally fall asleep at their desks

wicked awesome:
This is highly inaccurate.

American's and European's are the laziest workers - Asian countries have a much higher work ethic, and statistically work much longer hours.

I live among Asians and I can say that they are lazy workers too. I think only Japanese workers have a much higher work ethic.

Most Helpful

Corporis cupiditate nam culpa consequatur sint quod sunt. Recusandae delectus explicabo dolore minus quis voluptatem. Magni debitis vel asperiores itaque sunt quia eligendi.

Maiores dolorem qui asperiores assumenda. Id et perferendis reiciendis et et itaque deleniti. Autem iusto quo eos magnam dolor. Repellendus velit non facere ipsam reprehenderit delectus sunt repellat. Sit rerum unde voluptatem et. Provident aliquam eos voluptatem omnis.

Reprehenderit sint temporibus officia. Fuga eos amet blanditiis libero consectetur est.

Debitis eos ducimus est iusto id omnis occaecati illo. Occaecati nihil ea ad enim ea nihil et.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”