Do you mean they have made layoffs this year specifically because of market conditions, and they laid off the analysts with the lowest test scores? Or do you mean, more generally, that firms have laid off analysts due to low test scores? Because that seems kind of obvious to me - if you fail accounting (badly), you aren't going to be able to do your job. At my firm, I've heard rumors that if you fail the 7 or 63 you lose your job, but I'd guess that those are just rumors, unless you fail more than once.

You need your 7 for IBD, so if you don't pass it you cant work there from a regulatory standpoint. And since your firm needs to sponsor you for it, its prob. just a cost decision to let you go if you fail multiple times. As far as training tests go, my guess is each bank is different in how they utilize them. I'm sure it effects everything from getting the axe, to your first year bonus. I remember when I went through it and a few I knew flunked through the accounting parts, (Philosophy majors for the win), they weren't fired so much as put on the "watch" list when they got to their desks.

StreetLuck:
Analysts are required to take the Series 7 at my bank during training.

I have always wondered why other banks don’t do this. If a banker is an associate or above, s/he is not permitted to speak with clients without passing the series 7. However, analysts (especially good ones) speak to clients fairly regularly and sometimes even speak at meetings (i.e. diligence sessions). Does anyone know why analysts don’t need the series 7 to do this?

If you give a client investment advice, or something like this, you have to have the certification. Honestly, if I ran a bank, I would make every analyst pass it just to cover myself. It might cost like another $1000 or $2000 per analyst, but lawsuits cost a lot more, and the reputational risk is even more costly.

You can get out of the Series 7 requirement by claiming that all communication is approved by someone with the certification. I'm not supposed to email a client without CCing someone else on the deal team.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

Reiciendis illo possimus est ab. Soluta sit cum molestias reiciendis. Doloremque sed consequatur molestiae ratione est eum qui ut. Numquam modi voluptatibus rerum magnam sed maxime. Ut nobis optio aut voluptas.

Dolore eius animi sed neque veritatis. Ducimus qui rerum dignissimos error sit. Labore autem est vel sit in sint. Quod voluptas illum eligendi reprehenderit facere.

Et quis inventore officiis quo facilis quidem. Nihil quae nobis quia numquam voluptatem eum sit. Maxime et quo cumque cumque aspernatur ab cumque. Est consequuntur atque quo qui facere id. Omnis sint nisi provident ad quia. Voluptate ut maiores sint maiores aspernatur saepe.

Soluta soluta vel consectetur dolorem perspiciatis animi ut. Quibusdam a et minus sit quaerat assumenda ut quo.

--There are stupid questions, so think first.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”