Class of 2012 compensation (Analyst+Associate)

woohoo 1st post (lurker for years). that thread with the class of 2011 salary seems pretty useful, so i thought we might start one for 2012 now that FT recruiting is pretty much finished. also, on the i-banking page, there's a "results" thread where everyone is talking about the outcome of recruiting, so that may be useful too? i can include that info if people start asking...

Firm: MBB in the US
Position: BA/AC/Associate (MBB should standardize the names haha)

Compensation --

Base: 72
Bonus: up to 16.2 (1st years at sell weekend told me to realistically expect about 8ish)
Profit sharing --> retirement: up to 4.4
Signing bonus: 5
Moving allowance: 4 (depends on school to office distance, 4 was max)

Total: up to 101.6

Hopefully this helps -- any other MBBers and/or post-MBA level offerees want to chip in?

mochadoubleshot:
a "results" thread where everyone is talking about the outcome of recruiting, so that may be useful too? i can include that info if people start asking...

As a Junior starting the whole process, I would very much appreciate this info. Haven't checked the i-banker thread, but something along the lines of firm names with Applied, 1st Rounds, 2nd Rounds, Final Rounds, Offers? If you're feeling really generous, maybe GPA range and vague school info (HYPS, target, non-target)? TYIA

mochadoubleshot:

Holy balls. And as a Junior, THIS makes me want to bust my a$$ even harder...

"The disdain of profit is due to ignorance." - F.A. Hayek

And for AAttiKKus:

(I feel really sheepish doing this now that I've been accused of bragging :( )

First round OCR at all 3, in-office final rounds for 2, and offer for 1 (Just FYI, among all my friends who were competitive...aka good students, got first rounds for all 3 etc, the final offers were all over the place. I mean that some got final founds for MB and not B or BB and not M or MB and not the other B, a few got all MBB...so it seems kind of random who wants you once you reach a certain level. I would say that there definitely were a few star interviewees though who got all 3 because they were just stellar)

Univ: HYPS GPA: top 20%ish (I say that because of the differing levels of grade inflation/deflation but idk if that's considered in recruiting)

mochadoubleshot:
And for AAttiKKus:

GPA: top 20%ish (I say that because of the differing levels of grade inflation/deflation but idk if that's considered in recruiting)

this is mombojumbo. What is your GPA? If you're going to make a thread like this its easier just to give stats.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

mochadoubleshot:
(Just FYI, among all my friends who were competitive...aka good students, got first rounds for all 3 etc, the final offers were all over the place. I mean that some got final founds for MB and not B or BB and not M or MB and not the other B, a few got all MBB...so it seems kind of random who wants you once you reach a certain level. I would say that there definitely were a few star interviewees though who got all 3 because they were just stellar)

MBB offers were scattered at my school too. I think you'll often find that this is the case.

Proboscis

physicscx2:
2 offers, havent accepted yet
  1. tier 2 firm

70 base, up to 14 bonus, 10 signing/moving

1. boutique strategy firm

70 base, up to 21 bonus, 10 signing/moving

Unless it's an elite boutique, I'd probably take the T2 firm. The increased bonus ceiling wouldn't be worth it IMO (notwithstanding other factors such as fit/culture, industry focus, office location, etc.).

Proboscis

Newflyer:
Why exclude retirement? Does yours not vest immediately?

That, and it's such a paltry amount they might as well spit in a cup and hand me that instead.

"Buy gas. It's a sure-fire commodity with no risk except for the sure risk of fire." - Stephen Colbert

Best Response

This thread is boring, so I'm going to peg which firm each offer came from.

This is McKinsey, since both Bain and BCG pay bonuses:

jobs2012:
MBB first-year out of undergrad:

70k base 10k signing 3.5k relocation (depends on distance)

8.8k retirement

92.3k all in (we don't get bonuses)

And this is BCG because, well, I've seen BCG's offer this year:

mochadoubleshot:
Firm: MBB in the US Position: BA/AC/Associate (MBB should standardize the names haha)

Compensation --

Base: 72 Bonus: up to 16.2 (1st years at sell weekend told me to realistically expect about 8ish) Profit sharing --> retirement: up to 4.4 Signing bonus: 5 Moving allowance: 4 (depends on school to office distance, 4 was max)

One of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over.

mochadoubleshot, thanks for starting the thread. No definitive info for 2012 FT salaries on Management Consulted or WSO like there are for 2011...I've been curious about this as well.

I can confirm your OP on compensation--and know what firm it is, too, since I received (but did not accept) an offer from there too. My relocation was $2K, though, so all in the offer was up to $99.6K.

For reference, the offer I accepted was:

MBB in the USA FT Entry Level

Salary: $70K Bonus: up to $7.5K Profit sharing/retirement: $3.5K Signing bonus: $5K Relocation: $4K

Total: up to $90K

Comparisons are tough, especially with cost of living if you're deciding between two different cities. Plus the "up to" bonus amounts make things ambiguous as well. mocha (or anyone else), did you attempt to negotiate compensation, especially if you had counteroffers? I didn't even though I was deciding between 2 of the 3 MBBs because I heard trying to negotiate an MBB offer is sort of a slimeball move (taking it just for the money) although some of my friends negotiated successfully for more $ at Tier 2 (think Accenture, Deloitte, IBM).

FWIW, also had an offer (not accepted) from a boutique (as in, less than 100 consultants) operations consulting firm:

Salary: $75K Bonus: up to $15K Retirement/profit sharing: up to $12.5K Signing bonus: $7.5K Relocation: $0

Total: up to $110K

Boutiques are money (literally) but you run the risk of being pigeonholed into a specific industry/functional area.

And to add to what's been said, I'm from a Top 25 public, 1st rounds, 2nd rounds, and offers at 2/3 MBB. No 1st round or anything at the 3rd MBB.

haha copefan5 -- we know now the compensation at each of the MBB since jobs2012 doesn't get bonuses and we know which that is. congrats on your success. re: negotiating, an acquaintance tried to do that with the firm you're at (in the ny office) and she said that they were nice about it but that they were pretty standard in their "sorry but this is what everyone gets" response.

question for timothy0 -- what does m&a mean? is there a consulting firm that specializes in mergers and acq? just curious.

anyone else have data for class of 2012 compensation? (curious about associates as well)

mochadoubleshot:

question for timothy0 -- what does m&a mean? is there a consulting firm that specializes in mergers and acq? just curious.

anyone else have data for class of 2012 compensation? (curious about associates as well)

I assumed this thread was for IB. So no, I am in IB in M&A

Deloitte S&0 BA is the same as previous years:

Salary: $70K Bonus: $0 (next year's salary goes up based on performance review though. Not sure how it works at other firms). Signing Bonus: $10K Retirement: up to $1K plus pension? Relocation: $0 (as far as I know)

Total: Up to $81K?

I'm not quite sure how to value the retirement plan because of the pension though. http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/students/csc_general.aspx?Cou…. Do other consulting firms have a defined benefit pension plan or is that more of a Big 4 thing? Anyway, their 401k match is pretty low, but if the defined benefit pension is uncommon to consulting firms then that would compensate.

kobalt:
Deloitte S&0 BA is the same as previous years:

Salary: $70K Bonus: $0 (next year's salary goes up based on performance review though. Not sure how it works at other firms). Signing Bonus: $10K Retirement: up to $1K plus pension? Relocation: $0 (as far as I know)

Total: Up to $81K?

I thought Deloitte gave out decent bonus%?

Non vero ullam aut suscipit qui totam et. Sapiente eos atque officiis veritatis quasi tempore dolor. Delectus sunt a odio modi consequatur et ea. Deleniti debitis minus debitis. Quasi eos consequuntur dolores neque. Id reprehenderit quis et et impedit aut eos. Inventore dolorem cupiditate earum voluptatem quos.

Odio non veniam iusto sunt. Velit adipisci eos totam voluptates.

"Buy gas. It's a sure-fire commodity with no risk except for the sure risk of fire." - Stephen Colbert

Maiores est explicabo nostrum sunt incidunt. Alias aut aperiam porro corrupti et at accusantium et. Nulla sint occaecati atque ullam doloribus mollitia sit et. Sed quisquam eius ut rerum sit deserunt. Repellendus est recusandae a et perspiciatis fuga accusantium qui.

Totam modi rerum officia in quia necessitatibus. Libero sunt omnis enim et hic incidunt sed. Et labore aut est nisi quibusdam ipsam doloribus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”