Class of 2020&2021 struggling

Hi guys,
1st year analyst here. Was having a relaxed Saturday so used the opportunity to connect with some of my friends from my graduating class (semi-target). Some of them told me how fucked the job market was for fresh grads and they had to settle for awful jobs for now (compared to their potential), some were still searching for something. I was coming across some posts on linkedin from UC Berkeley Economics, MIT Math grads looking for jobs but didn't know the situation was this bad? Will the unfortunate classes of 2020 and 2021 become a lost generation? Is this the same at your schools too? Genuinely feel bad for them, thinking if there is anything I/we can do to help these folks?

OP here. I also gave you MS, because this was not the point of my post. In fact, I'm also planning to quit IB around the 1 year mark. Obviously, I'm aware that I'm in a fortunate state where this 1 year stint will open doors for me. My group was relatively light compared to my IB peers' (80 hour avgs with only 3 100+ weeks since summer) but I came to realize how messed up my life was the past few months and how this affected my mental and physical health. I'm planning to go into a Corp Dev/Corp Strat role in a niche industry that has always been a passion of mine and am getting traction in my networking efforts. I had good intentions when creating this post to brainstorm some possible ways we can help out our less fortunate peers not get pleasure out of their sufferings ffs...

Most Helpful

Yeah I don't think it's fair to say that people in less fortunate circumstances right now "slacked their life" and ended up jobless or in underpaid positions. I know plenty of people who were always high achievers and they secured amazing FT offers in the wrong industries. When COVID-19 hit, they had their offers rescinded and had to scramble for a job in a shrinking labor market that was flooded with recent graduates and laid off employees. Also, lets not forget that you're still an intern and your luck could change at any moment.

Looking back at my comment, I was being too harsh but I think with Covid potentially mostly gone from April onwards (We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April - WSJ), the labor market should be back in full force providing the opportunity for a lot of hardworking and unlucky people to show off any knowledge/skills they have gained in the past year.

Fugit occaecati commodi sed labore quisquam unde aliquid. Sed et vero qui odit rerum expedita omnis culpa. Perferendis rem voluptatem non ut corrupti est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”