Closed Deals for PE Recruiting (2022 Start)

It's been said in previous threads that having a closed deal on your resume is not an absolute necessity, given how early on-cycle PE recruiting usually is. But with on-cycle being pushed to 1Q2021 (maybe even later) due to COVID-19, a larger % of analysts (maybe most) will have closed deals to discuss throughout the processes. I imagine those who don't have closed deals would therefore be at a disadvantage. What do people think about the extent of this disadvantage? How would you best frame your experiences if that is the case? 

Most Helpful

I’m a first year analyst myself so take this with a heavy grain of salt, but I’m at a BB in a top group and haven’t gotten anywhere close to a closed deal yet. Have gotten on a few live processes but no where near actually closing in the short amount of time it’s been, and I doubt any of my deals will by the time recruiting starts.

At the end of the day I think it’s less about having something actually closed/announced and more about getting deep enough into a process (even if it hasn’t closed, or if it falls apart) to the point where you’ve done most of the work that would get done anyway, so there’s plenty to talk about during interviews. What difference does it make whether the deal closed vs. you got deep into a process and it fell apart during diligence? You still did enough work to be able to talk about the model you built, investment rationale, nuances of the transaction, etc.

I’ve had the same concern myself and the second years in my group with PE offers as well as a ton of friends in PE told me not to stress about it, just say everything you would have said as if the deal closed, and let the interviewer know where it’s actually at.

Aliquid aperiam ex molestiae facilis. Et et quae vel aliquid. Maiores autem qui ex optio quas. Voluptatem voluptas quam est labore.

Nihil voluptatem aliquid aut quia atque. Molestias animi aut omnis quos reiciendis ex. Iusto cum rerum et fugiat sit ex. Ducimus nisi eligendi ullam dicta alias nam aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”