Commodity Trade Finance?

Maybe it's because it's more of a Euro bank thing but I don't think I have ever seen commodity trade finance discussed on WSO aside from somebody asking about a job opportunity years ago. It's one of my default recommendations for people looking for internships before applying to physical trading jobs but I must confess I don't personally deal with commodity bankers much because I'm at a larger player.

Does anyone on here work in the field? Any idea what lifestyle, comp is like? I would think the more vanilla stuff ends up being like general trade finance (Citi TTS style) that is becoming almost entirely automated, but structured products like pre-export financing, borrowing bases, inventory financing... is that reasonably interesting and ok lifetyle-wise?

I'm just kind of surprised this field has gone so under the radar on here even if it's not super sexy.

Banks who finance physical commodity production, trading, processing...

Can be things as simple as an LC for a grain shipment or structured products like pre-export financing, borrowing bases, inventory financing (which are like repos with commodity inventories - pretty common in metals).

This is not stuff you would really deal with if you trade paper but it's how most of the physical industry is financed.

Most of the BBs don't really work in commodity trade finance because they don't like taking the risk associated with the physical. Instead, most Euro banks have pretty established offices around the world and lead this field (SocGen/BNP/Macquarie).

Pretty chill compared to banking (60 hours/week) but only gets bad when certain transactions go bad.

I know what you are talking about. At my previous bank, we did a lot of these deals. And thus; I had to spread “comps” on their syndicated loan deals.

Tenaska Marketing Ventures Hess Trading aka HETCO aka Hartree Mercury Trading There’s 3-4 more, I still have info on it if you are interested in knowing more. What’s the end goal? I think they make $$ off volatility of prices or something

In North America merchant banks and some hedge funds are active in this space... In O&G, the majors and traders themselves will take up that role, places like BP have massive structuring desks that offer alot of services to producers

Worked for an Oil major, we are mostly financed by European banks (with open limits), sometimes there are prepayments but often with doc LC as counterparties are risky. It is a niche market, well compensated but it is well known that it lacks of sex appeal, especially for younger population. However, as it is paramount in the physical trading side of commodities, it will be still needed so expect a rise of comp to attract new guys. Moreover, this niche market begins to be superseded by hedge funds and PEs that are financing more and more actors in the commodity trading industry.

To be honest, don't know anyone that did trade finance and moved up to a trading position, it is more ops / middle office and then trader.

I forgot to mention that rates at which they finance each transaction are really high for banks, it is juicy business till a scandal blows everything up. As margins are really low, it requires circa 200 smooth transactions to offset one failed transaction in terms of revenue for a trading firm

Interesting. But not the best option it is highly technical and you're still under a lot of pressure within the biggest trading houses, I think being a consultant of energy for example in your field of expertise (eg oil in Lebanon) for an institution has a better pace and better perks...

Commodity trade finance deals with managing the essential liquidity requires for trading and operations. That can be from financing LCs as you pointed out or storage\terminal\warehouse financing, having credit lines with counterparties & banks, settlement contracts and rules with counterparties  etc. Its not as sexy as trading definitively. However structuring -a part of trade finance is somewhat sexy and attractive wherein they are creative in making deals and essentially can save lot of money for firm thereby making lot of money by bonuses(after mid career). However it tends to be technical finance dealing with rules,laws, regulations and understanding capital markets etc

Most Helpful

Have been in commodity trade finance desk with an European bank as a front office role (commodity banker track basically) for close to 3 years - thinking of moving out every single day yet realised there are very limited exit opportunities after few attempts to escape.

Flat learning curve, tedious and repetitive daily workload, no hard skillsets to be developed, ultra vanilla product suites, relatively slow paced, low margin, etc etc - personally, for recent graduates / young professionals, my genuine advice to you is to think twice before starting off your career here, assuming you fancy something more dynamic and allows you to sharpen your analytical skills, which is more transferable and could be leveraged in your next role. With said, it is still considered a good option for your pre-retirement career when you just want to stay chill.

Eum molestiae quisquam repudiandae eius laudantium molestias. Id cum quia ex. Voluptatem ducimus ad ea dolores molestiae cupiditate.

Necessitatibus consequatur temporibus aut sit id sapiente porro nesciunt. Laboriosam nostrum ea ipsum iure laborum consequatur voluptatibus. Voluptas nihil quia fugit commodi. Non quos soluta et quia deserunt aliquid voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”