Comp @ 100m+ L/S

Been talking with a 100m long short with 2 founders and wondering what a reasonable comp expectation is. Fees are in the 1.5/15 range and I have 5 yrs of experience (2.5 yrs buyside). They have said carry will be part of comp after yr 1 but trying to gauge the base + bonus expectation.

$125k + 0-300% (of base) is fair given the smaller AUM base

1.5% management fee would mean $1.5M of fees for the partner’s salaries, overhead, trading, etc. so $125k is feasible 

Assuming a good year (I’m assuming 20% gross performance), this would imply $3M Carry dollars for the 2 partners. Obviously their mouths will be fed first and the majority will go toward them. But a payout of $375k from that $3M Carry pool is not that unreasonable if you contributed and performed. 

so all in $500k is pretty solid in a good year. Your goal should be to maximize the amount of Carry you get in the next few years because, assuming the fund scales nicely, ur comp will increase nicely as well 

500k way too high for 100m AUM imo. Maybe in a generous and excellent +20% yr. Take an avg +8 to 10% year on $100m capital base and there’s not much to go around. It’s not even a given that many places can grind out those returns either. 

I work a a 100mm fund with 4 IP. All in comp was 150k with base = 85k. Return was XX% (below teens, double digit) in 2020. 1.5-2years out of college.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Fee Structure is 1.25/18 with no hurdle

Thx! Hopefully the comp scales with performance over time. And FWIW, we have a 1.25/18 fee structure with no hurdle

I tried getting that information during my review but the comp is decided by the person whose name is on the wall and it's very opaque. Don't know how that would scale but I doubt our AUM is scaling...it hasnt really scaled for the last decade.

I wouldn't join if i were you. It's really difficult for smaller fund to scale up - not because the PM, CIO lack skills, but because they started so small from day 1 that other investors would be reluctant to join. These days, I really think decent starting AUM needs to be min. $500m. Yes, you would have an upside if your firm works out, and if your PM is great. But, if they were great, why did they raise only $100m? 

Most Helpful

Are they starting with $100mm AUM? That's a pretty big number nowadays (bad raise environment this past year). To raise $100mm means that they must have a decent pedigree and connections. You will surely take a hit on day 1 comp in hopes that they quickly scale, a few quarters / years of good performance with a strong network of potential LPs can skyrocket that AUM quickly to $500-1bn. If you don't want to bet on that, or are unsure whether their strategy is repeatable/viable, then I would pass on this opportunity. 

I know that the past decade is not a great comparison for today since it was easier to raise money back then but I know of a founder who quickly scaled from <$100mm outside money to billions just after a few years of ~15% CAGR. But it requires pedigree (i.e., Tiger lineage) and connections. 

However, if they've been at that number already for a few years, have a dwindling rolodex of LPs to talk to, then this is not as great of an idea. 

Nihil sed excepturi ex dolorem. Unde voluptas quae ullam voluptate est. Harum assumenda rerum dolorem id aliquid at quis. Quisquam commodi sunt perspiciatis et aut voluptatibus.

Omnis quia qui provident fugiat adipisci. Dolores est a ut et maxime facilis. Amet odit ratione fuga corporis facilis. Placeat molestiae repellat commodi facere possimus ipsum consequatur.

Voluptas animi et ipsum ex vero voluptatem. Iure aut atque maxime omnis assumenda.

Molestiae est beatae quas qui qui rem. Pariatur porro optio inventore cum est totam. Distinctio sit et quia quas animi minima. Cupiditate recusandae itaque natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”