Company wants me to create a PPT for final round interview at F500?

I'm interviewing for an industry strategy role at a tech company that wants me to make a 4-5 slide PPT presentation and present during a final round interview.  Basically gave me an excel doc with a bunch of data on closing deals for their product (e.g., client name, deal size, whether the deal was won or lost, etc.) and wants me to slice the data up and present findings.  Not hard and it's the type of work I actually enjoy doing but will prob take me 5+ hours to do this project (so many different ways you can slice the data in the file).  

Is this typical?  Has anyone ever been asked to do this for an industry job?  I have another offer already and seriously thinking about saying thanks but no thanks.

• ignore the anon username title I haven't updated it

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Yeah, this sort of interview prep seems to be more and more common in corporate finance. I've heard a number of my peers that decide to move had to take on similar tasks at the end of the process. Just hired an analyst on my team and put him through a similar exercise. We kept ours pretty simple (less than 2 hours total) but could see how that would be frustrating to have to complete. Gave us a great picture of who would be able to start off and hit the ground running and made the hiring decision really easy when the right hire came along though.

Yeah there’s been an increasing push to see work product by candidates to really make sure they have the technical skills. A lot of bullshitters out there.

We hired for a couple finance roles last year - one was a bit of a higher end hire and we did a couple rounds of interviews, had them do a case presentation which was probably about 12 hours of work. Guy we hired is excellent. Another role we hired for we really just did the standard behaviorals and took his resume experience as gospel and that employee hasn’t done as well.

If its a company you're interested in, and a role you're interested in I don't see why you wouldn't do it? You said you enjoy the type of work they are asking you to do, and 5 hours really isn't that much of a time commitment. If you're considering taking a different offer as a means to not do the task, which is 100% fine, then you either don't seem interested in the F500 tech company. Probably better off just accepting the other offer and letting them know you won't be taking part in the final round interview.

lol dude I had to put together a 3 page writeup along with projection model for one 3rd round interview (before superday), 30 slide deep dive on a specific drug for 2nd round (they didnt get back to me or give feedback, spent like 80 hours on this in 7 days), and a 5 page therapeutic space primer and drug analysis in 48 hours. Also a 15 page write up and model for a small cap company I had to frame as an investment for a family office.

you're fine. just crush the presentation part and be able to explain what you did. be open to criticism. 

Most Helpful

Amet recusandae aut necessitatibus quia. Maxime ullam voluptatem ipsam sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”