Consulting to Portfolio OperationsSubscribe
I'm currently an analyst at Deloitte S&O and I'm trying to think through my next steps and I've recently learned about Portfolio Operations. PE is a space that I'm interested in and it seems like that would be the logical landing place due to my experience in consulting rather than deal experience. I am thinking that this could be a good move for me to allow for an opportunity to continue on a PE career path or have the opportunity to gain a leadership position in an operating company.
I've seen some threads around how the role is relatively new in the industry and groups are being built out at the mega-funds, but I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge to help me think through if this would be a logical switch to make?
I've got a couple of questions that I would appreciate some perspective on:
- What is the career path for someone that is an associate within a portfolio operations team?
- I'm thinking that you can continue to work up within the PE firm or transition out into a leadership role
- How similar is it to client-facing consulting?
- How much of the role is the traditional consulting work compared to back-office operations work?
- What is the comp like?
- I think I've read that it isn't as much as the deal team, but more than consulting
Thanks so much for any perspective - I'm hoping this post can help out others in a similar position!