BankMonkey21:
Accounting. Budgeting. Forecasting.

^^^ that's the FP&A side, which i am more familiar with. could also include Treasury functions...

Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

sayandarula:
BankMonkey21:
Accounting. Budgeting. Forecasting.

^^^ that's the FP&A side, which i am more familiar with. could also include Treasury functions...

Most F500 have three groups:

1) FP&A 2) Program Finance 3 CorpDev

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

fp&a

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

I've worked a few F500 Corp Fin roles now, feel free to PM me with specific questions.

Overall, a majority of the roles are more accounting focused (usually FP&A), then there are usually some specialty roles as well - Business Development, Treasury, Tax, Investor Relations, etc...

Unless you're getting into something specialized BankMonkey is right, it is largely Accounting, Budgeting and Forecasting.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

In terms of Pay:

1) CorpDev 2) FP&A 3) Program Finance

Although PF and FP&A are extremely close and certain positions pay more than the other between the two.

Program finance is found more in industry. Each program (for example a construction company) will have assigned anjalysts to that program to work on specific jobs.

Many (but not all) are OCR. Also, you're probably a little late in the game.

At my F500 I believe they are done recruiting for our rotational program, which is are the best entry level positions we have. That being said, analyst roles upon up pretty frequently.

Not sure where you're looking, but financial analyst roles should be out there.

Best Response
  1. You could be in "finance": maintaining budgets, accounts rec/pay, etc.

2. You could be in "business development": this is where M&A work would come into play; you could be either at the division level or corporate level

3. You could be in "corporate development": this is generally more strategic planning at the top of the organization

IMO, Choice 1 is boring and should be avoided. Choices 2 and 3 can overlap, but in either case they are more competitive positions.

Here's an example of a Biz Dev. position at the analyst level: http://www.cmegroup.com/company/careers/open-positions/12736-CN_cme.html

Here's one for strategic planning (need Doostang for this): http://doostang.com/Group/JobPage.aspx?jid=27823&searchid=35c343ff-9fbb…

One of the best ways to figure out what a position entails, as well it's requirements, is to check out job postings.

ConcealedCarry:
  1. You could be in "business development": this is where M&A work would come into play; you could be either at the division level or corporate level

2. You could be in "corporate development": this is generally more strategic planning at the top of the organization

It is the other way around: bus dev=strategy planning corp dev=M&A

lm-1993:
F500 Corp Fin jobs will generally be at headquarters, so I guess you want firms that have HQs in NY. The following link shows where all the F500 companies are based.

Can't answer your 2nd question. But I'd guess both are pretty similar, with the slight edge to finance.

Wow, thanks a lot. That really helps!

Even if they have an "office" in NYC, you want to be at HQ or a US HQ. For instance, Sony is not based in NYC (obviously), but I think they have a large office there. If you take a position in a small office of a F500 there will be no room for advancement without moving.

I disagree with lm, from my experience there's a pretty strong preference towards accounting majors. You may not want a particular position, but based on sheer quantity of entry level positions Accounting is the way to go.

For reference, many FLDP programs take Acc and Fin majors, but still require a certain amount of accounting classes.

I work as HR Analyst for a F500 in NYC, but I am interested in FP&A roles at a F500 or even something that combines HR and Finance. Would a MBA, Masters in Finance, or Masters in Accounting be best? My undergrad is in psychology. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA, but I have yet to take the GMAT.

Think about it. If you were doing the same thing, then there would be no need for investment banks. So no, BBs must have a value-add.

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."

Sandhurst:
Think about it. If you were doing the same thing, then there would be no need for investment banks. So no, BBs must have a value-add.

Agreed. They are definitely different, mainly because of the difference of their structure. In IB or another strictly financial services firm, you are going to have your revenue generators (FO) and then you are going to have your operational/functional support teams (MO and BO). With F500 companies, its going to vary greatly depending on both the product/service they offer and the structure of their corp finance programs. If the F500 is in manufacturing, for example, you obviously are going to deal with things like inventory, and a more in depth version of PP&E than a financial services firm would in a BO role. For example if its a rotational program especially, you could have one stint where you are doing cost accounting, one doing FP&A, and one even doing limited M&A stuff.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

I meant the differences between the Finance division at a BB (FP, product control, tax, treasury, etc.) and doing a FDLP at a F500.

I should have been more specific

Aperiam consequatur aut quos omnis ut sed. Reprehenderit ratione minima ipsam eaque. Tenetur accusantium magni labore voluptatem non. Repudiandae dolor autem ut ex molestiae.

Non cumque est soluta at quam tempora. Sapiente quia corrupti sapiente voluptate excepturi quos rerum. Ea praesentium ut modi dolor eos est. Quia autem et tempore ducimus minus quo reprehenderit fugiat.

Occaecati corrupti libero quo similique. Non facilis consequatur illum fugiat amet. Officia quae qui accusantium sed ut sit minima. Eum impedit alias et eveniet adipisci reprehenderit. Sunt delectus vel dolor optio eos. Animi sunt vero nostrum possimus enim. Qui totam dolorum aspernatur ut et saepe est autem.

"Who am I? I'm the guy that does his job. You must be the other guy."

Harum ullam consectetur omnis ratione aspernatur ex. Sint porro aspernatur eius nisi adipisci quaerat. Natus hic quo hic nulla adipisci ut deserunt ea.

Non minus tempora accusamus consequatur. Et corrupti sed laudantium quia. Nemo non expedita harum dicta. Minima ipsa unde qui deserunt beatae et similique.

Rem quo beatae excepturi aut. Autem ea facilis ut ea ullam quia aspernatur. Explicabo in excepturi nihil repudiandae. Consequatur officia exercitationem et nam. Alias cupiditate non id nobis velit quisquam.

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”