In reading the thread about why we mostly come back to WSO a reoccurring theme of "giving back" and helping people break in appreared. I thought we could centralize some general interview tips. Since I'm only a few years in, hopefully some of the senior guys in here can pitch in with what they've seen. Some initial things to expect below for lower level interviews.
- Answer why Commercial Real Estate? (this includes knowing people).
- For entry level, knowing the structure of a basic operating agreement.
- Proficiency in Excel/Argus or ability to show your commitment to learning
- (Ties with 3) Modeling really depends on the shop, this is where it pays to figure out the balance between being completely honest and talking yourself up to a level you can reasonably back up.
- Be able to talk about what the company/broker focuses on or ask solid enough questions to let people know you tried to figure it out.
- If you're already in the industry, talking about deals you've worked on. If you're not, talk about internships. If this is your first internship, figure out why you're capable in a professional setting.
Will turn it over to you folks and hopefully create a good source to help people prepare in the future.