CRE Salary Progression

How did your salary progress/change throughout the course of your career? I think it will be interesting/helpful to see to show younger guys what's realistic.

EX:

Acquisitions (Dallas)

Year 1: 60k + 10% bonus + $5k signing bonus
Year 2: 67k + 20% bonus

etc.

Hey amv, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I'm here since nobody responded to your thread! Bummer...could just be time of day or unlucky (or the question/topci is too vague or too specific). Maybe one of these topics will help:

• Better entry role into commercial real estate: Asset Management or CRE Credit Analyst (MM Bank) real estate. I have two very different interviews, and was hoping to get insight from individuals who ... program, so that should add some value down the road, but not the main point of the post. Real Estate Forum ... First time poster. I've been trying to make a career pivot from consulting into commercial ...
  • Wells Fargo Commercial Real Estate https://www.wellsfargo.com/careers/mbas_undergrads... I would be interested in any input anyone might have. Real Estate analyst RE Wells Fargo CRE ... Does anyone know anything about the Commercial Real Estate program at Wells Fargo? It's one ...
  • Breaking Into Commercial Real Estate Real Estate. I had a mentor growing up (and still to this day) who was very successful in the business ... 2016- 3:55am <p class="h4 m-t-none">Real Estate Forum Resources</p><ul ... at a crossroads in my career so I decided to embark on the journey of finding my place in Commercial ...
  • Commercial real estate investment sales- can someone take me through the entire process? discuss, I am more than happy to buy them a beer or coffee/lunch. Best, Patient Skeptic commercial real ... estate <p class="h4 m-t-none">Real Estate Forum Resources</p><ul ... Hi everyone, I am extremely interested in the CRE investment sales process (I am in NYC, so if we ...
  • Master of Real Estate & RE MBA Applications Fall 2016 to MBA programs with real estate concentrations, so anyone going down the MBA route with a real ... Kenan-Flagler MBA- Real Estate Concentration Wisconsin MBA in Real Estate Miami Accelerated MBA in Real Estate ... I know CRE started a thread early last year for fellow applicants to MSRE/D programs for the fall ...
  • Could commercial real estate (retail) collapse? higher than in other areas." Given that malls and commercial real estate appear to be declining, do ... economy? to Sunday, April 9, 2017- 4:55pm <p class="h4 m-t-none">Real Estate Forum ... With companies like JC Penney and Sears having done progressively worse over the past ten years, ...
  • Corporate Banking v.s. F200 Financial Analyst v.s. Commercial Real Estate Hey all, I have an offer from Wells FAP, a boutique commercial real estate brokerage, and an offer ... for me if my priorities lie in salary progression, earning potential, and potential exit ops (trying ... wanted to hear opinions on the roles. Real Estate Corporate Banking 1st job; career; Finance; Banking ...
  • AMA: Commercial Real Estate friends that want to know the commercial real estate world so hopefully I'll be able to answer ... die, creative wins, how to get into real estate, what and who are time wasters, CRE Tech from a user ... I've been doubling my comp with every jump. 3 years at a regional boutique real estate investment and ...
  • More suggestions...

If we're lucky, maybe I can guilt some users to help you out: Josemherrera @FutureCREInsider" FrkWhite

Fingers crossed that one of those helps you.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

First year analyst doing AM at a value add REPE shop.

Year 1: 65K + 20-25% bonus Year 2 (projected): 70K + 20-25% bonus

Our shop also pays out random additional bonuses (~$10K) if we sell a trophy asset. Happens about once a year.

Most Helpful

1st Job: Senior Analyst, Acq & Dev in D.C. (after a year of IB) Year 1: 80K & 20% bonus Year 2: 85K and left before I got my bonus

2nd Job: Associate, Portfolio Management Year 3: 100K & 30% Bonus Year 4: 110K & 50% Bonus (Target bonus was only 30% but I stepped up big time during a capital raising process even though I wasn't on the Capital Markets team)

3rd Job: Associate VP, Fund Management (Includes acquisitions, some development and general fund management duties) Year 5: 150K Base, 90K bonus, 5% promote which should be worth 150ish depending on how things go Current Year: 150K Base (probably hit a ceiling here), target bonus between 50-100% and 5% promote for acquisitions I source or large scale turnaround/repositioning projects I lead. Acquisitions pipeline slowed down a good bit and I'm not sure if I'll earn promote for any deals this year.

DFW: Year 1: AM analyst 60k base, 8k bonus Year 2: AM analyst 62k base, 9k bonus

Really trying to find an acquisitions job now though. While i get paid decent for AM, it is ungodly boring

Into the REIT straight out of school.

25% of our carry goes to co-investors, if I co-invest, I can pick that up. The other 75% gets divided by seniority, etc. If I source the deal I get more than 2%. At the moment with current deal flow and anticipated returns, I calculate it to be in the ball park of +$15,000 - $20,000 a year.

JSmithRE2010:
4 years out of UG and you’re already at 125k base? Must be hines but I don’t know if even Hines gives raises that quickly

That progression honestly doesn't surprise me.

Edit: For reference, I'm in Y2 and I'm at $80k + 45% bonus + 0.5% profits

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Was at Hines at start of career:

Year 1: $60k 20% bonus

Year 2-3: $90k 20% bonus

Year 4: $110k 30% bonus

Year 5: $145k 30%-40% bonus

All Los Angeles

First Job (Real Estate Consulting Firm)

Year 1: $60k + 10% bonus

Year 2: $75k + 25% Bonus

Year 3: $90k + 25% bonus

2nd Job (Multifamily REPE)

Year 4: $100K + 30% Bonus

Year 5:  $115K + 30% bonus

Year 6: $135K + 50% Bonus

Year 7: $160K + 50% Bonus + carry (I estimate worth $~60k)

Current Year: $180K + 50% bonus + carry (I estimate worth ~$200k)

Family Office in LA (acquisitions/dispositions, leasing, some dev now too) 

First investment banking then quick pivot to cre 

Year 1 - $125k

Year 2 - $135k; + $215k commercial agenting + investments on the side 

Probably an outlier on the low-end since I had some personal/career stumbles about 5 years in, but progression was:

1st Job: Appraisal Analyst (mid-market NYC). 

Year 1 - $35k to start, bumped to $50k after 6 months. Trivial bonus ($1.5k)

Year 2 - started getting fee split, all-in comp ~$85k

2nd Job: Asset Management at Private Developer/Family Office (NYC)

Year 3 - $88k + $10k bonus

Year 4 - $92k + $10k bonus

Year 5 - $98k + $5k bonus (started having some personal/substance abuse issues and performance declined dramatically, eventually left)

3rd Job: Portfolio Management at REPE Fund/Developer (Secondary Market, Western US)

Year 6 - $85k + 20% bonus.  As an aside for any young guns out there thinking it's NYC or bust, ended up taking home substantially more than my prior role in NYC due to COL & taxes.  Also much happier with this city's weather, culture, and access to outdoor activities. Be cognizant of how location can impact your physical/mental health. 

Year 7 - $96k + 20% bonus

4th Job: Acquisitions at Same Firm

Year 8 - $96k for the first 8 months. Had a record year for the firm at ~$1.5bn of acquisitions/dispositions. Bumped to $135k base + 2% carry on the deals I worked on.  Carry is both in the fund (American/deal-by-deal waterfall) and property-level GP.  Still waiting on final 2021 bonus numbers, but told it'll be in the 50-100% range due to all the acq/dispo fees this year as well as a couple sales we crushed it on.  Future bonuses will be more dependent on personal production at the VP level

Edit - ended up with 60% bonus for 2021.  Bumped to Senior Associate with base of $150k & minimum 25% bonus, plus 3% carry on any deals this year.  Told I'm slated for VP promotion by mid-2023. 

Cap Markets (Major Metro):

Year 1: $65,000 (~40% bonus)

Year 2: $65,000 (~40% bonus)

Year 3: $70,000 (~100% bonus)

Year 4: $70,000 (~100-120% bonus)

Acquisitions at GP (Major Metro):

Year 5: $125,000 (~30% bonus)

Why the paycut? I feel like I dont see that very often on WSO 

[Comment removed by mod team]

[Comment removed by mod team]

Los Angeles

Year 1: Analyst at Tier 2 Investment Sales: $60k base + $10k bonus

Year 2: Same as above: $72k base + $10k bonus

Year 3: Acquisitions Analyst at Family Office that does development/PE: $80,000 base (no bonus year 1 because of late year switch)

Year 3.5: Promoted to Acquisition Associate: $100k base + $20k bonus

Year 4: Acquisition Associate 2/ pay bump: $120k base + ~25% bonus

Dolor qui et aut est consectetur. Expedita delectus labore sapiente nobis veniam. Et est sit aut nisi aspernatur perferendis. Quia facere voluptas quia ipsam est. Perferendis ab dolorem autem.

Qui sint rerum ut voluptatem quasi maxime. Beatae quis in vero eveniet dolorum. Ea soluta nihil autem. Voluptatum et dolores natus et dolor aut. Quas vitae reprehenderit recusandae in quis.

Real Estate Professional Network Discord Server: https://discord.gg/xxWQ2nC

In est provident neque veritatis nihil. Sint quis vero dolorum deserunt doloremque aspernatur. Corporis architecto saepe unde totam aperiam tempore aut.

Voluptatibus rerum odit aut accusamus accusamus aut nesciunt. Voluptatem nihil vel fugiat qui. Laudantium sapiente velit enim voluptates.

Voluptates ut veritatis corrupti sequi explicabo sed. Deserunt exercitationem fuga est maxime. Expedita sed expedita voluptatibus aspernatur excepturi aut.

Omnis rerum ab porro facere est eveniet. Quo laudantium est qui dicta asperiores ut eum aut. Fuga quos eligendi voluptatem non delectus reiciendis praesentium. Qui ducimus iusto ipsam dolores autem sit. Qui sequi animi atque nesciunt enim sed tempore.

Est ea ad consequatur molestiae ex. Consequuntur est nobis debitis blanditiis. Eius sint recusandae itaque rem soluta rerum doloribus. Eveniet error et ut dolorum est similique velit. Sunt sed ut ut est cumque sit tenetur. Dolorum error quam amet incidunt et nesciunt similique vel.

Voluptatem ea nesciunt magnam vel maxime ab laboriosam deleniti. Non vitae quis est voluptas animi ut. Dolores dicta qui in sunt cupiditate molestiae. Rerum deleniti id doloremque iste adipisci hic saepe. Veritatis sed aliquid id ipsam architecto.

Quasi illo aut et et molestiae quidem est. Possimus consequatur facere non nemo qui repudiandae. Eveniet totam molestias sed eveniet.

Eos debitis est deleniti sit illum rerum asperiores. Aut rerum sapiente voluptatum unde. Nobis eos iste cupiditate occaecati voluptates quaerat velit. Vero eveniet illo suscipit provident quia non tenetur. Adipisci optio quisquam aspernatur id adipisci.

Real Estate Professional Network Discord Server: https://discord.gg/xxWQ2nC

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”