Credit Suisse Group Culture

Hi Everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone could share insight as to the culture of different groups at CS - are any known to be exceptionally sweaty, fratty, ect? Ive seen a few threads about rankings but none about the actual culture of the groups so I'd figure this thread could be helpful.

2nd yr at CS, for reference:

M&A: sweaty and nerdy

Sponsors: not too sweaty (but variable), used to be very bro-y but not sure now

TMT (split up, but I still think of them as one group): pretty fratty, lighter side on hours but can get bad

GIG: pretty sweaty and pretty fratty

C/R: sweaty but chill analysts 

Healthcare: not too much work and chill

FIG: nerdy and sweaty 

RE: chill and not too much work

ECM: seems pretty chill for people, hours are variable but average are pretty good

Could you elaborate on the difference between the two split-up TMT groups? How big are they and how have they been doing?

heard its tough hours wise there. I don't really know though, NYC analyst

NYC. LevFin is a bit overrated I think and exits are fine. LevFin is often mixed up with Sponsors, which has great exits and handles all the modeling for PE firms. Culture is fine. Hours not bad, people are on the nerdier / more intense side, including analysts.

GIG has better exits than LevFin, especially the last few classes. Sponsors / M&A are consistently the best, probably followed by TMT then GIG, but lots of variability within the class since it is a larger group (the best few analysts will exit really well, but some may not exit, unlike FSG in which the best analysts place really well and the worst analysts normally still exit). GIG has tougher hours on average, but is a bigger group so there is less of a "one work culture" and probably depends on which team you work with. Frattier / more extroverted analysts 

Far fetched question here but could anyone provide insight as to overall NYC office outlook for the next decade. Heard USA operations will be downsizing, but also just an intern 

Most Helpful

The American investment banks will continue to gain domestic market share, but banks like Barclays and CS will not wind down operations anytime soon, if ever. The chief reason is that these banks’ strategies revolve around providing a multifaceted profile of offerings to their clients, many of which are inherently complementary. For instance, Credit Suisse’s CEO has enumerated time and again that their investment bank is crucially important to their core wealth management business, as often times many of these clients also require capital raising, IPOs, M&A advice (e.g. CS just brought in the former head of IB at BAML to run a new M&A wealth management group), etc.

CS also has one of the best leveraged finance franchises on the street, a function of their strong legacy of senior bankers from DLJ. With the trillions of dollars in private equity dry powder about to be deployed in the coming years, there is a huge market for originating, underwriting, syndicating, and trading that debt. LevFin is their bread and butter, so it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to give up their industry-leading position.

Management has also explicitly laid out plans to increase their “capital light” M&A business in the coming years.

Back to your question: Yes, if you want to be a career banker you may want to throw slightly more weight towards the domestic banks; however, in my opinion this is a moot point at the junior level. European Banks with strong IB platforms aren’t going anywhere anytime soon because it would disrupt their business model and their respective industry-leading niches in the U.S. (e.g. BarCap NR, CS Sponsors). I was worried about the same thing back when I recruited because of all of the pessimistic articles published about European Banks, but I spoke with the former COO of BarCap/CS and others high up in management at Morgan Stanley/Goldman/etc, and all of them told me that banks like BarCap/CS winding down operations was extremely unlikely and shouldn’t affect my decision at all. Hope this helps.

Molestiae quia incidunt dolor quis qui maiores et voluptates. Voluptas fugiat blanditiis aut assumenda at aliquam assumenda incidunt. Ut veniam quasi fuga consequatur ut sed. Voluptas dolor eveniet at iusto ducimus est enim.

Facilis earum officia odio omnis laudantium. Et iste et id pariatur nesciunt placeat molestiae. Nihil autem quia sapiente beatae non voluptas.

Itaque delectus rerum quae illo omnis a. Voluptas veniam nihil et atque. Eaque nihil enim voluptatem quia quo iste.

Et eos aspernatur perspiciatis consequatur quod dolores. Accusantium eos labore ut repellendus maxime impedit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”