Current Internship: How to play the field having signed for 2020?

Hey everybody,

I'm in NYC interning in Deals/TS/Capital Markets at one of the B4 and have signed with an EB IB for next summer already. I can't help but think about what I should say when my current bosses mention next year or return offers, or maybe even my future plans.

For example, how should I react in situations like these? "When you get back here full time next year, you can do it this way.." or "Well, when you are back next summer we can..." "What do you think you want to do next year, try X vertical out instead?"

I feel guilty playing along as if I plan to still be here, but don't want to be a dumbass that gets fired or gives my school's OCR a bad rep for giving away too much info.

Most Helpful

As you know, this is a new situation as recruiting is so accelerated, so not sure if many people on this forum are in a position to give advice. I'm in the same situation but with two BBs, but I don't want to burn bridges at the BB I'm working at this summer. I'm sure you feel similarly about the B4. I know others are in the same situation. Not sure what my take is yet.

Bump. Same boat. Was just not gonna mention anything until the end/after the internship.

What if they realize or find out later that you signed for summer 2020 before you even started summer 2019, and as a result you were lying by omission the entire time? It seems like there isn't a winning way out of this.

To be honest I feel awkward networking at my current firm now because they're all expecting you to be eager and to want to return the next year.

Who knows, you might want to sign with this summer's company rather than the EB/IB you are going to summer with next year, depending on your experience. If you're asked directly you can be honest. Long way from graduation yet and your plans might change. Just be open minded, work hard, network, and learn stuff.

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

I had a FT interview at another bank the day I left my internship and was seriously considering not coming back. I had the same thoughts but I just played along. It’s a little different because you have an offer for next summer, but I went out of my way to never seem like I might not come back to avoid risking a my return offer.

Truthfully you might feel slimly but the thing is, if they didn’t think you were a good fit they’d not give you a return offer and wouldn’t tell you about it until your last day at work. Also, if you recruit for PE you might spend 18 months sitting on an offer while your coworkers talk about you staying on for a third year or doing A2A anyways

Don't say a word until the last week of the internship, let them know that you had a great time at the firm but want to explore something else over next summer but would consider going back for FT and that you'd want to stay in good terms - basically don't give me a return offer I'm sorted but this was a cool gig and I'd want to have a backup

Asperiores et ipsum sit temporibus saepe maiores iure quam. Impedit placeat non omnis rerum qui. Quasi consequatur ea nostrum odio quas saepe est. Quo consequuntur et non quis velit.

Quia molestiae est iure et qui aut. Aut eos dolor id voluptate sunt molestiae dolorem. Iusto eligendi neque quis et sit. Placeat nisi perspiciatis itaque non qui.

Non sunt non vitae temporibus qui quaerat cupiditate nostrum. Quasi voluptatum sed inventore iste amet. Iste suscipit eum est at tempora voluptas sunt ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”