Was at an alumni happy hour a few nights ago and had an extremely intriguing conversation with someone who works at a large insurance company in their Cyber division. It seemed obvious, but I had never considered the insurance side to hackers. He said that the high level view of it is that companies will have cyber insurance that protects them against attacks. What was surprising is that these hacker groups will infiltrate a company and sit in the shadows for months while deleting backup files and plotting their attack. Then on, for example, a Saturday at 4am they'll launch a debilitating attack and effectively hold the company's data hostage. The group will then say "you have 2 hours to transfer 5 million dollars in bitcoin to this wallet". This is apperntly called ransomware. Since no one from the insurance company is working at that time, the client company is authorized to transfer the insurer's money to the hacker, which is from the insurer's offer of a 'bitcoin wallet' option for those exact scenarios. I thought this was extremely interesting and can only see the problem getting worse. Would love to hear anymore insight to this or other related points.
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- To give a bit of background, I recently landed an associate gig at a pretty respectable PE shop ($5 bill aum) in the Chicago area (after 2 years of banking). I started about a month ago after packing up and moving my whole life from California. Well needless to say we had a company outing and I...+41 by buylowsellhighthenbuymore in PE
- Now this questions really depends on personality and preference. So far I would have to say mine is recruitment..... **strange I know**. While I have met many amazing people, and actually hired a few through Wall Street Oasis, you also have to deal with a LOT of bull sh*tters.
More than I was...+39 by isa2130953 in IB
- Dearest Fellow Primates - when we embarked on this journey of a new WSO logo, I never envisioned there would be such passionate and WILDLY differing opinions... After many weeks of iterations and [countless back and forth](https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/new-wso-logo-branding-icon), with...+35 by WallStreetOasis.com in WSO
- I'm tracking a distressed high yield issuer right now that is owned by a prominent PE firm within an older vintage fund (they've since raised several multi-billion dollar funds). The fund itself also holds several other assets that have crushed it, and thus the fund itself is top...+24 by MidtownParkAve in PE
- **UPDATE: APPLICATION FORM IS OPEN NOW!!!!**
Fellow WSO Primates, I've been thinking of how we've been putting out a ton more AMAs + podcasts, etc lately and I want to double down on that since it seems like it's going well and we're able to get a lot more high-quality...+23 by WallStreetOasis.com in OFF
- I messaged an Analyst at a Boutique Bank, asking if he had time to share about his path into IB. He responded with "Sure, if you pay me $100, $50 before and $50 after I'll talk to you on the phone for an hour and review your resume." Is this standard? Have you guys seen this...+21 by non-target-hardo in IB
- Am hearing a number of analysts and associates at my firm discussing this, one apparently having gotten confirmation from someone he knows at JPM.
Can anyone else confirm or deny anything in regards to the specific teams/groups/sectors that did or didn't make offers as well can anyone...+15 by InfoDominatrix in IB
Hey WSO, I've been a longtime lurker (for some advice, but also for the laughs) and thought it's probably time to contribute back (as I also have something somewhat valuable to contribute now). Some general background about how I got where I am below:
* Target...+14 by aw.ib in IB
- Was wondering how everyone's job search is going, especially those with 5 to 10 years of experience.
I'm currently an Associate (acquisitions & development) at a boutique investment shop in a major non-NYC east coast market. I have 6 years experience including 2 years at a...+13 by BigCompanyGuy in RE
- Is it just me, or has air travel gotten unbearably bad lately. I'm stuck on LGA tarmack as I write this. Landed over two hours ago. Trip was from NYC to Boston and both outbound and return flights delayed over an hour. LGA isn't an airport. It's an expensive airplane parking...+13 by TorontoMonkey1328 in OFF
Upcoming EventsSee all
- Aug13FP&A Technical Mastery – New York City, 8/13-8/158:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- Aug13Podcast: Joseph Woodbury (CEO/Co-founder of Neighbor) – The startup journey -- 8/1312:00 to 1:00 EDT Online
- Aug14Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- Toronto, 8/14-8/168:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- Aug14Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- San Francisco, 8/14-8/168:00 to 5:00 EDT Online