DCF Question: How valuation changes if I buy a factory with $100 cash?

pithikos's picture

Hello everybody,

I am working on a valuation question I found in one of the popular interview guides. The question asks me to evaluate the impact on the DCF valuation from the purchase of a factory with $100 cash on year 4 My answer was not similar to the one I found on the guide so I would appreciate if anybody could point out the flaw in my thinking:

- At year 4 I have Unlevered free cashflow UNCHANGED because Capex goes up by 100 but Change in NWC goes down by 100. so
- 100 - (-100) = 0.
- Assuming marginal tax rate 't', salv value = 0, useful life = 5 yr, then I have 5 tax shields on yrs 5 ... 9 each of which is 20*t. By discounting those 5 tax shields from depreciation using WACC I get the increase in DCF valuation.

Comments (3)

Jan 1, 2013

Um shouldn't NWC stay the same? (assets should stay the same).

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Jan 1, 2013

Isn't cash, marketable securities & short term investments line item on the Balance Sheet part of NWC?

(don'f forget the definition of NWC = Current Asstes - non interest bearing Current Liabilities)

Jan 1, 2013

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)