Any advice on my next career move would be appreciated
Currently a Big 4 auditor in UK (recently qualified) - my end goal is mid-market PE.
I've been accepted for an internal move to Deals Consulting where the role is focused on providing advice to mainly PE houses and some corporates on M&A deals providing services such as:
- Commercial and operational due diligence
- Synergy creation and review
- Post-deal operational improvement
- Carve out and divestment support
I am now conflicted as to whether it would a better choice to try find a job in M&A/Lev. fin. at an investment bank in order to gain greater deal exposure and improve my modelling skills. I do have some financial modelling experience (self taught - using a friend's AdkinsMatchett&Toy books and online resources) but I haven't been able to practice this in a work environment.
My questions are:
1) Would the consulting role place well into PE?
2) Should I search for an IB job and decline the consulting role?
3) Would I be better to stay in the consulting role for a year or so, go to IB for a bit and then try apply for PE?
Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks!