Debt and Equity Brokerage Analyst Compensation

Hi all,

I saw a couple posts on compensation for analyst positions in debt/equity teams, but the numbers seem to be all over the place. I'm pretty far into recruiting for several firms and I would love to get some of you insights on what I can expect for comp/ base salary. For reference I'm interviewing in a HCOL gateway city on the west coast and I'm coming in with one year of non-real estate professional experience. The teams are all high performing and currently have allegedly record setting deal flow. Would 70-80k base range be reasonable to expect?

Many thanks!

Following. I literally see some posts quoting “I’m at a major brokerage and took home $180k as a first year analyst. This is very common.” Meanwhile the CRE comp spreadsheet on this thread lists many instances of D/E analysts making $60k + 10% bonus.

The main conclusion I’ve come to is that it’s team and market dependent, but holy shit is that gap wide lol. Same exact gig can make over 2.5x simply by being on a different team in a different market.

Someone let me know if I’m wildly off base in this observation.

Most Helpful

It’s been said, but is very true, it’s highly team dependent. For example, via the legacy HFF model, analyst on D/E teams at JLL are eligible to share in the analyst bonus pool, where basically 4% of all gross commissions from the team go to year end analyst bonuses. If your team has a record year, then that could be very very good for your year end bonus. I think some teams are structured similarly for other shops like Eastdil/CBRE/Cushman, etc. 

The_Muffin_Man

It's been said, but is very true, it's highly team dependent. For example, via the legacy HFF model, analyst on D/E teams at JLL are eligible to share in the analyst bonus pool, where basically 4% of all gross commissions from the team go to year end analyst bonuses. If your team has a record year, then that could be very very good for your year end bonus. I think some teams are structured similarly for other shops like Eastdil/CBRE/Cushman, etc. 

This is true, i work in d/e brokerage at one of those firms. I know that JLL uses the HFF model, but from my understanding from people I know there the analyst that is on the deal receives 3% gross of the total fee and if two or more are on that transaction then it is split accordingly. 1% gross, like you mentioned of every deal gets thrown into a bonus pool that is paid out semi annually.

Definitely if you’re in a good office you can hit some good numbers in your first year or so. I think the main thing is how quick you pick it up and how soon the deals start going to you.

Offer came out to about 75k + Bonus, and it looks like the deal flow this year is insane across all major RE markets. It's about in line with my expectations and I'm expecting to work my ass off. The producers are real gunners and go through deals like BB IBD go through analysts. I'm most likely going to spend all my base on living expenses and bank the bonus EOY.

Congrats! Any advice for someone who is looking to make a transition to D/E analyst from outside the industry? I started at a quant finance shop right out of college, almost 1.5-2 years in now (2020 grad). Really looking to make the switch after talking to some analysts and associates (JLL / C&W).

Definitely, it's a relationship based business so just network as hard as you can. Having a quant background will also help, they definitely appreciate an analytical background, at least depending on the shop. Don't expect RE to pay as much as a quant job though at least for the first couple years

In a major HCOL gateway market on the East Coast. Institutional team. $85k base + 100% bonus potential.

I’ve met with or spoken to a lot of the institutional teams in my market, and in other markets across the country (SF/LA/CHI/NYC).

It feels like a lot of the institutional teams are in the range of $150k-$175k (analyst 1-3) and you’re in the low to mid 200k as an associate. Be prepared to sweat you’re on the desk 24/7. Enjoy the ride.

Modi nesciunt accusamus ratione aut. Repellendus quae quidem voluptatem saepe voluptatum sed fugit. Occaecati quaerat suscipit iure ipsam incidunt ut.

Totam est dolores et voluptatem sequi. Et in accusantium et sapiente. Voluptas est accusantium suscipit cupiditate. Dolor eos id consectetur earum quia dolor. Fugiat vel consequuntur voluptatem eos. Doloribus soluta enim ut voluptatem sunt id.

Quam dolor iste alias adipisci. Est odio autem omnis temporibus doloribus sed saepe. Consequatur repudiandae consequatur voluptatibus et quasi repellat. Iure impedit quo sequi ducimus placeat nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”