12/29/09

Hi there,
shortly before Christmas I received my 2nd offer from a BB, but ultimately decided to sign with the first bank. From what I've read on this forum, you should call and decline the offer verbally.
Should I call HR or the person who extended the offer in the first place, who is usually a senior banker? Personally, I would prefer calling HR, b/c it makes me feel less guilty :P

Comments (5)

12/29/09

Call both of them, especially if you want to maintain a good relationship with the firm. Remember to be grateful on the phone.

Learn More

The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Learn more.

12/29/09

Call the person extending the offer.

Best Response
12/29/09

I would call the person who extended the offer to you and then email HR (since I'm assuming that even if a banker gave you the news, HR had some communication with you regarding offer terms, etc) just to take the time and let them know your decision. Additionally, I would consider reaching out to any of your contacts who really pushed for you and/or knew you received an offer - you don't want them to think that you had them make a big push only to blow off the opportunity. Essentially, just cover your bases, let everyone quickly know your decision, and briefly why you went that way - thank them again and sign off - this should help you to not burn any bridges. Beyond that, accept the other offer and good luck.

12/29/09

Call both. You'll need that person's help later. I had to decline a few offers and boy was it awkward but just make sure to not burn any bridges

12/29/09

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)