Delaying Graduation - Class of 2019/20/21 ???

Here's my predicament:

I did two years at another college before transferring into a semi-target this last year, and am currently a TRUE senior (Graduated HS 2015, Spring 2019 expected grad date). Recruiting for the summer of 2018 was pretty much finished by the time I arrived in Aug 2017, and so I was planning to recruit for a 2019 SA position and delay my graduation to May 2020.

Well…. I fucked up in my first semester (Fall 2017) receiving a 3.1, but I thought I would still be able to pull my GPA up before 2019 SA recruiting pops up with the Spring semester. However… Banks pull this accelerated recruiting shit and I’m stuck with my first semester’s GPA (3.1) on my resume for the 2019 SA cycle.

They begin holding info sessions in Feb, and 1st rounds in April/March 2018. I didn’t apply for OCR (no internship, 3.1 = auto-ding?), because I wanted to wait until my Spring 2018 grades were in (brought GPA to a 3.45).

And so here I am today. 3.45 GPA, currently doing an unpaid internship, a lot of 2019 positions have already been filled from what I’ve heard, and very blunt networking is only getting about a 10% response rate (cold emails asking to chat about opportunities). Now keep in mind I’m a true senior, but I can realistically delay my graduation until Fall 2019, any classes after that would just be straight fluff (minors, arts classes, maybe some certificates, etc).

What recently came to mind was to “delay” graduation until Fall 2020 (list Dec 2020 on resume):

recruit for a 2020 SA position in the newly accelerated timeline --> try obtaining a 2020 SA role --> get a return offer from the SA role.

My concern is that if HR saw I graduated in fucking Fall of 2019 or May 2020, shit would get ugly.

This all might sound crazy to some, but I find that the career projection after an IB analyst role is well worth the extra cost and headache of an extra semester at a relatively cheap state semi-target ($5-$10K per semester). I also have $40K sitting around from working full-time, saving every paycheck, and living at home in my first two years of college.

So I guess my lingering questions are:

1. What is my best course of action at this point?

2. Do banks check your transcript to see if you’re returning for another year/semester after an internship?

3. If offered a 2019 SA role and given a return offer for FT, when is the earliest I would be able to start as a FT? (finish SA in August 2019 -> start FT in August/Sept ??) or in the case of a 2020 SA role, (finish SA in August 2020 -> start FT in August/Sept 2020)

4. Should I just combine GPA’s with my old school? A 3.45 isn’t terrible, but It’s also isn’t exactly opening doors. I understand 2019 SA recruiting is still going on, but I’m seeing more upside than downside at this point.

But hey... there's always asset management.

Throw some suggestions or PM me for more info, I’m all ears.

Most Helpful

This just seems like a bad idea and one you'd quickly get caught on. Yes they would catch that in a background check, and most places have a set number of FT analysts, so the SA are in the pipeline with the intent of coming on 9 months later. Doubt any places would let you start FT within weeks of SA unless they are gravely understaffed.

I think your best course of action is to start applying with your actual May 2020 graduation date, a 3.45 isn't that bad and you are earlier than the average college kid in looking for roles. You won't get into most BBs with that unless you have networked, but I think trickery around graduation dates and/or spending 6 total years in college is not worth it. Step into a boutique role for SA and bring your grades up to lateral for FT.

Array

What type of internship are you doing now? TBH, you should graduate in May 2020. Here's why: Boutique SA + Semi-Target --> MM IB SA --> MM/EB/BB IB FT lateral. Easy.

Don't overwhelm yourself all of these dates man. Just network hard all summer, apply to every firm you can for 2019 SA roles, get your GPA to a 3.5+ this Fall and go from there.

I am doing a restructuring/distressed trading type of role (not as hype as it sounds). But are you recommending I take a Boutique SA position during this next school year or in the Summer of 2019? Then doing a MM SA position my summer after graduating May 2020 then --> MM/EB/BB IB FT lateral.

I was considering this route; however, many of my peers, along with other people on this site say FT positions are very rare if you didn't have a SA role at the same firm the summer prior.

Eum ut delectus asperiores cumque reiciendis. Consequatur nihil saepe inventore impedit doloremque tempora explicabo hic. Similique nihil voluptatem et rerum. Eaque voluptas fugit rerum.

Animi quisquam sed ut vel. Enim itaque odio magnam neque non voluptas asperiores corrupti. Sunt omnis et saepe sunt dicta. Earum autem rerum ut enim. Aut sint commodi ducimus temporibus distinctio eveniet natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”