Absolutely fuck off. But generally, Stanford/Dartmouth/Columbia/Duke/Chicago should be a separate tier, above S-Tier, based on OCR, BS opportunities, and alum per capita. Penn, Cornell, and Stern aren't as good as those schools in finance recruiting.

You think so? I know they don't have as much of a presence on the East Coast, but I always thought that was generally due to self-selection regarding a preference for Chicago. Same with Duke.

First and foremost, let's not have another rankings thread. One class of HS students have already made their college decisions and another HS class has yet to even start applying. No one is helped by the timing of this post. When the HS class of 2021 does want to consider wall street recruiting targets in their college decisions (which should NEVER be the sole factor), they can use the search function and find a number of helpful threads (including this one which you seem to have copied pretty heavily https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/comprehensive-undergraduate-targ…). They don't need a new ranking thread every year, nothing is changing that drastically- Wharton is not suddenly going to fall to a Rutgers level within a few months, so there's no point analyzing this again and again, year in and year out.

But you made the thread, so I'll bite. First and foremost, you seem to have forgotten Brown entirely. Not sure exactly what tier it goes in, but if you can remember to include freaking Fordham Gabelli, I'm sure you can remember Brown. Secondly (this might be a little controversial idk), but I would put Stanford in the S+ tier. I don't know where the idea came from that banking is "below" Stanford kids, but that's absolutely not true. If a Stanford kid wants BB or EB banking, they've got it. Not only do they have the prestige of being (arguably) in the top 2 schools in the nation, they also have the ability to tap into the vastly expansive network of the Stanford GSB. NYU Stern is a great school, no denying that. But it doesn't have the academic prestige of any other schools in the S tier. While the other schools tend to produce well rounded students, Stern has the tendency to churn out uninteresting kids with the goal of banking and banking alone. Stern is still a target, but I would move it down to the A+ tier because it just doesn't fit that well in the S tier. Other than that, I don't see too many glaring issues with this list. Don't really see how we can call the IU Kelley IBW a school, but ok. It's a workshop and the workshop might be target, but you can't really put it on a list of schools imo.

Great points. I agree with almost all of them.

I personally wouldn’t put Stanford with HYP. You are right that it definitely has much more academic prestige than NYU for example but this isn’t a prestige ranking it’s a target school ranking and I’ve personally seen infinitely more NYU grads on wall Street than Stanford but that might be due to the schools locations and self selection biases (Stanford kids probably want tech or west coast finance the most).

You have more experience than me, so I'll take your word for it.

Right, but we're considering things like OCR and BS opportunities for this, which Stern doesn't have as much of compared to true targets.

Full disclaimer: went to Stanford so I’m biased maybe.

If you want to do finance at Stanford you can do whatever you want/go straight to the buyside/ VCs like Sequoia/ tech PE at Silverlake. Every single door is open to you. Is it as much of a focus as it is at HYPW? Certainly not - especially going to IBD out of undergrad comparatively.

Putting Stanford and NYU Stern in the same bucket...it’s just weird. Would anyone ever choose to go to Stern over Stanford ever? Literally no one, regardless of if they wanted to end up on Wall Street post college.

There’s a lot of schools that can land you solid positions in Wall Street...but out of this list, how many schools can you major in whatever the fuck you want like art history and still make it to GS/PJT? Only like 10 of these schools have that hallowed reputation for churning out financiers from whatever the fuck you spent 4 years doing -> the rest of the list you pretty much have to be grinding it out in a business/Econ major to have a real shot at Wall Street. No ones hiring an art history major from UVA. That says something, so think about that. Wharton’s really the only exception where you’re doing a BS in Finance but top caliber people vs at other big business schools you’re competing against hordes of kids and the top guys will land at great places but plenty of people won’t be as successful in the process.

Most Helpful

Jesus again? Enough of these pointless ranking threads by people who simply don’t know what they’re talking about.

First of all, it looks like you missed Brown, which is less of a target than Penn, Cornell, & Columbia but still a target.

Second and more importantly, to the guy above me who mentioned Duke, Cornell, penn, NYU, etc., it’s impossible to quantify placement on a per capita basis. Don’t know why you and other people on this forum point to that meaningless statistic. How many people can you accurately say truly wanted IB (as in studied for technicals, networked hard, etc) and didn’t get it out of all the current students and alumni of a particular school? For a school like NYU, which everyone knows is a top feeder for Wall Street, how could possibly say recruits fewer people than Chicago or Duke on a per capita basis? Same for Penn or Cornell. You are assuming all 15,000 undergrads at cornell for example are gunning for IB and only about ~300-500 per year get it. The fact of the matter is that every school, even HYPW have people who want IB or PE and don’t get it (as mentioned on many other threads) and have people who want something other than IB (accounting, consulting, marketing, corporate law, etc.).

If this looks familiar, it’s because OP copied off of a prior list from an older post.

Funniest

So you think a school that's part of Indiana University deserves to be on the same tier as MIT?

Et voluptatem quod quia debitis a distinctio. Sit accusantium impedit qui hic aut. Et beatae est maxime veritatis quod et.

Soluta et et voluptates dolorem explicabo eveniet itaque qui. Veritatis accusamus asperiores ut veniam voluptatum itaque animi. Temporibus ducimus similique corrupti commodi laboriosam aliquid.

Culpa beatae sit quis dolorum voluptatem occaecati. Distinctio ratione pariatur reiciendis. Eum est soluta incidunt dolores iste.

Reiciendis voluptate ut iure non delectus provident eligendi velit. Quis corporis molestiae autem explicabo quas.

Et aut id dolores in. Et doloremque dolor soluta perferendis qui maiores iste quia.

Recusandae in sint perspiciatis repudiandae est omnis dignissimos recusandae. Fuga id consequuntur inventore. Aliquam neque quaerat ut dolorem porro quidem. Aut aut temporibus esse odit ut. Qui qui eum qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”