AngelOfMusic

its ok to take another finance related job for a year while you network and try getting into IB. dont get trapped in the "it must happen as soon as you graduate or bust" mentality. Keep working, you'll get there 

Thanks, I might have sounded overly desperate only for IB positions, but I'm keeping my options opened so I can set my first step in Finance and work from there. Thanks for your advice.

I had a similar realisation. neverstopgrinding provided some invaluable advice in my previous thread that’s worth looking at.

Also, I think you could be overreacting and panicking. Keep preparing your technicals and general interview questions and be ready when the applications open. You know what you have to do now.

Btw like everyone always says, best to change your username to something anonymous.

_oak

I had a similar realisation. neverstopgrinding provided some invaluable advice in my previous thread that's worth looking at.

Also, I think you could be overreacting and panicking. Keep preparing your technicals and general interview questions and be ready when the applications open. You know what you have to do now.

Btw like everyone always says, best to change your username to something anonymous.

Thanks _oak, I will do what you have just said, but I feel like freaking out boosts my productivity somehow and Sam Sung isn't my real name. Thanks for the concern though

No worries. I am the same, a certain amount of anxiety definitely fuels your output, but there's a point were you will burn out. Haha yeah I wasn't sure if it was a play on Samsung but I seen some South Koreans with that name on Linkedin and that tied in with the military experience.

But yes as these guys have said, don't focus on the "IB or bust" mentality, focus on trying to get relevant experience so you could potentially lateral into IB at some stage. You have a long career ahead of you, the next few years are just a small part of it, you may even decide you don't want to do banking anymore along the way. 

Most Helpful

I was sort off in a similar situation, although in continental Europe. Learnt about Investment Banking, and the difficulties of breaking in, very late in my ‘academic career’. What I did, and what I would advise you to do, is to not focus on landing an IB analyst position at a BB or EB for now. That will costs you lots of precious time, and the chances of succeeding are just not very high. I think you would be better off trying to fix either an off-cycle internship or FT position at a MM bank or maybe even a no-name boutique with good deal flow and work your way up from there. With a Master's in Finance and a high 2:1 Bachelor’s that should certainly be possible. So thereby I agree with the comments above. Many people make an upwards lateral move later on in their career, so not breaking in now does certainly not mean its over for ever. Good luck!

Fugiat sit unde dolorum in qui officia dolor mollitia. Itaque fugit est optio ut quia illo qui. Ipsa dignissimos itaque quia distinctio iure sequi. Dignissimos nesciunt quia voluptas ad inventore temporibus autem.

Eligendi sit inventore unde eius. Voluptates ad ut facilis necessitatibus et. Hic aperiam placeat aspernatur cumque qui.

Aliquid qui error voluptatum illo vel. Quibusdam quisquam sed expedita quia iusto. Non est soluta doloribus et. Nisi doloribus voluptatibus delectus ea. Nihil modi occaecati saepe id sapiente nemo. Aut aspernatur harum repellat ratione tempore nesciunt pariatur. Sunt recusandae distinctio maxime non qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”