Deutsche Bank To Scrap Bonuses For 2016: As Many As 90% Of Bankers Affected

So what are people hearing at DB? Is this really going to impact VP and below pay as well?

Per NY Post and Bloomberg

First, it was a report by the NY post, according to which Deutsche Bank may hold back on giving out bonuses to as many as 90% of bankers and traders, noting that only the top 10% of revenue generators may get a bonus for 2016, and even that would be paid out over the next five years, according to a source briefed on internal discussions.

The bank was rocked last year by concern about its capital adequacy, a 23% in its share price and rising litigation bills from Europe to the U.S. Chief Executive Officer John Cryan, 56, has eliminated jobs, suspended dividends and sold risky assets to shore up profitability and capital buffers. The bank on Tuesday reached a $7.2 billion final settlement with the U.S. Justice Department over its sales of mortgage securities before the financial crisis. It’s still seeking to end an investigation related to its Russian unit. While reports have suggested that the settlement could affect the bank’s ability to pay bonuses, it couldn’t be confirmed if the bank had used incentive compensation for the settlement.

The post added that this wouldn’t be the first time that John Cryan, Deutsche’s CEO, has cut bonuses since taking over in 2014: last year, the bank cut the bonus pool by 11 percent and delayed paying its employees until March.

Then earlier today, Bloomberg confirmed the news when it reported that Deutsche will tell senior employees as soon as this week that they probably won’t get a bonus for 2016 because of the lender’s performance last year.

If you were an MD you would probably have several million in unvested compensation that you'd be walking out on if you left. Not to mention the internal network you've built to get shit done and establish your worth to your bank... Or so I would assume.

ArcherVice:

If you were an MD you would probably have several million in unvested compensation that you'd be walking out on if you left. Not to mention the internal network you've built to get shit done and establish your worth to your bank... Or so I would assume.

If you have a legitimate client list that makes you a desirable option to poach, you'll get made whole when you get poached. Then what happens is the legitimately good MDs leave, leaving DB with the bottom tier MDs, and thus continuing their spiral downward. High variable compensation, despite looking insane to non finance people and shareholders, is the cost of of doing business if you want to keep a competitive platform.

I'm actually somewhat shocked that a bank is acting more in the interests of shareholders than its employees. In a "normal" company, if the company posts absolute dogshit results (as DB has done), no one gets bonuses and it's considered a natural consequence of said performance. Only in banking do people consider themselves entitled to a bonus in the face of miserable performance.

Best Response

Banking is a service business not a product business, so I don't think it fits what I assume you view as a "normal" company. But also it's not even the banker's performance that hurt the bank overall. It's fines for shit the bank did 9 years ago that are hurting the bank's performance. The current employees are literally paying for the transgressions their employer committed when those employees most likely didn't even work there.

Let's change the scenario to a company that sells shower curtain rings. Pretend you're a salesman who makes a small base salary and get commission of the rings you sell. You proceed to sell a shitton of shower curtain rings, but then are told you aren't being paid your commission this year to "improve shareholder value." Whatr you gonna do? You're gonna bitch and then go somewhere else because you're only selling fucking shower curtain rings.

4 points:

1. If you look at DB's business performance ex-fines, it has still been terrible. It's not like the current employees are creating a lot of value which is being swamped by fines.

2. Bankers don't make a "small" base salary by any standard except the finance industry's.

3. Most bonus structures I've seen at non-banking companies feature overall company performance as a large % of bonus calculation. At my company for instance ~65% of your bonus is determined by the North America sub's performance. The particular P&L I'm on could be up 30% this year but that only affects the individual portion of my bonus formula. It fosters a team-oriented culture, not an individual-focused culture. FYI, our sales people are compensated on a very similar formula (overall company performance far outweighs individual contribution).

4. Your second example is not really accurate. A commission-based salesman almost always has that commission legally written into his employment contract. It's not a discretionary commission, it's a set % of his sales. Banking is not a commission-based system. Yes, bonuses are tied to individual sales/performance but they are entirely at the discretion of the company. They could pay you based on the length of your mustache if they felt like it.

EDIT:

1. Your argument only applies to the ~5-10% of bankers who are actually responsible for revenue (MDs for the most part). No one else has any $$ they can point to and say "I'm responsible for that". Believe it or not, the real value creation in IB is sales, not 100-hour weeks from people in their mid-20s. People are pretty interchangeable at that level despite what their egos may believe.

welcome to the wonderful world of reality. everyone left after the music stops is in this situation. government, banking, volkswagen emissions scandal...it's the way it is. if you're the poor sap left holding the bag, well then, sucks to be you.

trader_timmy:

Banking is a service business not a product business, so I don't think it fits what I assume you view as a "normal" company. But also it's not even the banker's performance that hurt the bank overall. It's fines for shit the bank did 9 years ago that are hurting the bank's performance. The current employees are literally paying for the transgressions their employer committed when those employees most likely didn't even work there.

Let's change the scenario to a company that sells shower curtain rings. Pretend you're a salesman who makes a small base salary and get commission of the rings you sell. You proceed to sell a shitton of shower curtain rings, but then are told you aren't being paid your commission this year to "improve shareholder value." Whatr you gonna do? You're gonna bitch and then go somewhere else because you're only selling fucking shower curtain rings.

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

22.7% of the bonuses that ARE being paid out are being given as various forms of liquor such as canadian club or canadian hunter. which actually is a better store of value given that peter schiff announced for the 3478579th time yesterday that the US debt bomb would explode on trump rendering the dollar useless. one has to wonder why DB is not opting to pay ALL of its bonus in liquor, especially given that since the election DB has heavily enganged in repo-ing cash for liquor instead of bonds (and bonds for liquor instead of cash). in the event of a debt shitbomb DB will be liquor rich and it appears that the DB top 1% is hoarding it for themselves at the expense of the lower and middle-class revenue generators. if this scenario is any indication, financial assets are rapidly losing value and mr. schiff is correct. the debt shitbomb is going to explode. soon.

I AM THE LIQUOR

Dolorem itaque libero fugit saepe hic. Aut et aut adipisci vel debitis. Temporibus et ipsam rerum hic. Similique rerum et qui doloribus aspernatur. Nihil sit accusantium quia debitis et. Neque voluptatum consequuntur voluptatem porro fuga debitis est.

Officiis ad alias et ex aliquid. A facilis necessitatibus sunt et dolorum facere et. Doloremque exercitationem non et qui dolores. Eos rerum occaecati autem unde aperiam velit. Alias a modi ut ut et. Non itaque et qui sint nihil eius voluptatem. Vel a fuga temporibus omnis qui laudantium eius ipsa. Vel ipsum cupiditate odit nesciunt minus.

Quam commodi et quos est nihil. Perspiciatis et accusantium possimus saepe. Et incidunt et velit illo exercitationem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”