Do I retake SAT for 1600?

I'm in college right now. I have heard that SAT can be a pretty important part of a resume on Wall Street.

I got a 1570 my junior year of high school. I've grown a lot academically since then, and I'm pretty confident I could get a 1600 if I took it now. Is it worth taking it again for the perfect SAT wow factor?

I can already tell this question is gonna be made fun of because it sounds pretty ridiculous, but it would literally only take one Saturday morning; if it even helps marginally I figure why not.

To be honest, I'd be impressed with the 1570. By the way, how sure are you that you can get a 1600 the next time you take it? I know you've grown in many ways, but that doesn't mean that you can ace the SAT. Obviously it is just a Saturday, but let's say you miss 1-2 questions on the entire test and end up with a 1590. Would you really retake one more time and waste another Saturday just to get a 1600?

This. He'd just be able to say he got a 1600 but either way he's in the 99th percentile. It's about a (roughly) 0.1220% difference from a 1570. Curious where OP got admitted to college because if he's a senior then undergraduate applications were due January for regular decision applicants.

Honestly, have you seen the posts about how people shouldn't round their GPA up to 4.0 if they have 3.95+? Having a 4.0 gives people the impression that you are just focused on your studies. In a similar sense, with a 1600, I would think that you are extremely smart, but then I would also question whether you would fit with the group and pass the airport test.

Best Response

I can totally respect that underlying philosophy, so I'll rephrase:

• Your 1570 is very impressive and you should be confident in and proud of how your abilities are showcased by that score.

• I get that there's a wow factor with 1600, but I can't imagine a reasonable employer would assign any value to the difference. 1570 and 1600 both signal the same amount of aptitude.

• You have to get a least a little lucky to get a 1600. Even the very brightest make test-taking errors. There's a real chance this is a total waste of effort.

• Retaking the SAT for bragging rights as a college student is just... really lame. If you do it, never speak of it to anyone. Take that shit to your grave. However unlikely, can you imagine if an employer asks to you to verify the score you reported on your resume and notices the test date?

I respect the hustle, but there's a minuscule risk-adjusted return here. Your time and energy would be 100% better focused on other activities. Spend your Saturday morning sending out cold emails instead and you're much better off.

Better to take the gre, the gmat, or the lsat (if you’re the type of person who got a 1570 on the sat without studying they should all be fairly easy), or if you’re non-math person try to get one problem right on the Putnam test (if you are a math person studying for the Putnam test might also be worth it as good scores there can just straight up get you a pretty good quant job).

I like this advice best. If OP thinks he's grown academically and wants another crack at wowing with a test score, postgraduate exams are even more relevant. Plus, irrespective of score, taking the GMAT or LSAT in college shows you're proactive and you have a goal in mind. Infinitely better than going back to toss another 30 points onto a test for 16-year-olds.

Eum corrupti eius maxime sunt tempore consectetur voluptatibus. Quia voluptatem quia possimus impedit sunt iste veniam modi. Voluptatibus rerum molestiae sint molestiae qui illo molestias.

Qui qui debitis non veniam non qui. Quo eius iusto rerum veritatis tenetur. Est expedita expedita mollitia est architecto qui atque et. Veritatis odit cum perspiciatis dolorem aut aut necessitatibus voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”