Does anyone in your shop work remotely all the time?

I work as an analyst for a fairly large publicly traded multifamily REIT and was surprised to find there are a number of senior level people (VP and above, but no corners) who work from home from various different cities around the country. They call in to meetings and fly in when necessary, and are generally well respected for their work... Doesn't seem like a great way to run a company but maybe I'm missing something. Is this the new normal because of technology's ability to break down all barriers?

I had a VP who came in about twice a week u less there were a ton of meetings. She seemed to do just fine and got a lot done. The one thing for her is she could have a call come in from overseas and have to work with them to get something resolved. If you are able to complete your work and don't have to answer a phone I see no issue with it.

Only two sources I trust, Glenn Beck and singing woodland creatures.

I would think management would be somewhat difficult performed remotely, but as a general rule, offering the ability to work from home at least some of the time makes so much sense if you want to attract quality employees who may be willing to work for less in exchange for better balance.

Also, I read the other day that the average office worker around the country does 2 hours, 53 minutes of real, actual work in any given day, on average. If I were setting the rules of a company, I would strongly consider a 6-hour work day w/the ability to work from home 2 or 3 days/week.

Array

Dances with Dachshunds:
I would think management would be somewhat difficult performed remotely, but as a general rule, offering the ability to work from home at least some of the time makes so much sense if you want to attract quality employees who may be willing to work for less in exchange for better balance.

Also, I read the other day that the average office worker around the country does 2 hours, 53 minutes of real, actual work in any given day, on average. If I were setting the rules of a company, I would strongly consider a 6-hour work day w/the ability to work from home 2 or 3 days/week.

Do you have source / link?

Best Response

If you trust your employees (and their work is getting done), then it isn't a problem.

While I generally prefer to be in the office, I've worked from home a couple of days here and there when needing to wait for delivery/installation people, have worked from satellite offices when those locations were better suited for quick access to evening events, or worked from other remote locations (my parent's house, vacation home, I even worked from Vancouver one day when I was on a mileage run trying to maintain airline status). The majority of my work is handled via phone, e-mail/computer so as long as I have an internet connection and my cell phone I can do whatever I need to from wherever I am.

Really though, I find that working from home is most beneficial if i'm going to be reading/writing a lot of documents or am modeling larger properties and don't want to be interrupted. It is easier to concentrate when people aren't constantly stopping by my desk all day/in the quiet of my house. Also, I find that on the days that I work from home, unless I really watch myself, I tend to work longer than normal hours. Because I don't have to spend an hour in the morning ironing clothes and commuting, I spend that time working. And instead of just logging off at 5:30/6 like I do now so that I have time to get home, cook/eat dinner, etc. I will work until 7:30ish, log off and then go cook dinner.

My old company allowed people to "cube share" wherein you and your cube-mate would alternate working from home days and in-office days. It was up to your to decide which were which, but people tended to be in the office 1/2 time that way. This helped the company cut down on space needs and allowed everyone the flexibility of working how and where they wanted to. I have a former co-worker that works from her beach house about 1/4 of the year and another that lived in another city about 300 miles away and only came into the office once a month for our monthly staff meeting. They are both very well respected directors/VPs. But as I said, it comes down to trust and getting your work done.

Oh, I really like the cube share idea. Very interesting.

I personally don't love to work from home (did for 2 years straight in one of my jobs), but I can imagine a lot of people with personal responsibilities (i.e. kids) would love the ability to work from home.

To your point about excessive working hours when working from home, yes. I think it would be awesome to program your employees' work computers/laptops to be locked at, like, 7 pm.

Array

The cube share worked really well for a lot of people, especially people who had kids. If you joined, they would reimburse you for phone/internet expenses at home too, which was nice.

98% of the time, if both of you needed a spot for a day, there were little conference rooms you could book or you just stole someone else's cube that was traveling/out. The rest of the time people just had to deal with being in top of each other because everyone just happened to actually be in the office that day.

Most people I know what work from home work more because 1) it is more convenient and 2) they don't want anyone to question their ethics because they are home and not in the office.

You are always going to find a bad apple here and there, like the guy that outsourced his IT job to someone in India and sat at home a day played video games all day, but I think generally it works.

Our construction guys typically work remotely 3-4 days of the week, but "remotely" is a misnomer there because they're working on-site as opposed to in the office. They're not working at home or on the beach somewhere.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

ButteredBeta:
This idea doesn't seem ludicrous anymore.

Nope. It is now an explicit goal of mine - if not while working for someone else then definitely when working for myself.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Our firm has development offices coast to coast, many of us in 'corporate' roles effectively work from home as the corp team is actually spread out and not in the same building. So, yeah it can be more common than you realize.

The main difference, is in normal times, we all travel like crazy, but many choose to work from home when not traveling for a majority of days in a given week.

For development teams, where the work is more 'local' this is not the case. But sometimes working from home is fine. In general, flexibility, work/life balance, etc. is encouraged so long as you get your work done, meet deadlines, and are available when needed.

Earum dolorem exercitationem libero molestias ut error quia. Et enim id quas ipsum corporis cum voluptas placeat. Repellendus ab saepe quidem. Aut inventore culpa et et. Quod nihil perspiciatis et non quas culpa.

Qui iusto alias eum natus nam facilis reiciendis nihil. Ab cum expedita est consectetur. Consectetur sequi eligendi eos. Dolore ipsa repudiandae ut. Pariatur qui officia ut omnis eos. Minima quas aspernatur dolorem sint voluptatem.

Inventore et illo magni porro. Dolore molestias distinctio voluptate praesentium ratione. Illo dicta quos numquam harum. Eaque quae ad accusamus.

Praesentium voluptatem et quisquam corporis. Sunt quia repellat delectus voluptatem sint et. Labore est vel magni voluptates ut. Qui incidunt porro sunt et quia perspiciatis voluptas. Sint autem praesentium id atque consequatur occaecati quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”