Don't know what there's left for me to do - SA 2022

Some background first: Sophomore at a west coast semi-target. Brief HFT experience in HS and Research experience with my club at my college. Decent GPA but not super competitive. 

At this point it feels like I've exhausted all of my options - for the past few months, I've been applying to every position I can, refreshing job boards, cold emailing firms everywhere, praying for some kind of response. Every time something seems to go well it always results in a dead-end. Those that I've networked with the hardest end up completely ignoring me even after weeks of talking to them. I've had to deal with applications being broken and a refusal from HR or technical support to fix it. People on LinkedIn seem to want to view my profile twice a week but not accept my connection, and those who do won't respond to my messages. Most of my applications just seem to be in limbo with no communication from the firms at all. I know there's still a lot of time for me but it feels like my chances are dropping every day, and at this point, I have no idea what I can do. 
Just looking for some advice from anyone who was in a similar spot. 

(1) make sure your technical skills are superb. (2) reflect on your behaviorals. You clearly are not coming off as personable enough in networking calls & interviews. You can even record yourself answering mock interview questions and self-analyze what idiosyncrasies are off. 

Eventually you are going to land an interview and you need to be absolutely golden when the time comes. 

Friends from a nontarget struck out at EVR, LAZ. When in reality it could have been their golden opportunity and they blew it. Don't let that be you. 

I think you’ve answered your own question - focus on Equity research. Since you go to a semi-target school, you’re already at a disadvantage to all the Stanford, Wharton, Harvard kids. And you’re right, it’s already May so you have a ton of time left to network. It’s impossible to know the technicals for HF, ER, IBD, and PE. That’s like trying to quadrupole major in Astronomy, Chinese History, Economics, and Computer Science. jk but you get the idea.

Also, if you’ve been having trouble making meaningful connections in calls then that means you’re not “Wowing” them. You need the person to think “Omg yes this kid really knows his shit.” Maybe that means you do a ton of extra research on the person’s background and look into the small nuances of what they do. It’s a f ton of work but that’s how you differentiate yourself from just another kid.

Voluptas rerum fugiat temporibus ut debitis voluptatum. Inventore in nulla sit nihil. Odit aut natus enim sequi delectus cupiditate placeat accusantium. Temporibus aut deleniti soluta dolorum nihil ex qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”