Dreadlocks in Finance

Im a  freshman undergrad. I have short dread right now ( above my shoulders) also keep them braided on the back of my head so it wont cover my ears and people can see my face. I know my hair style isnt "client friendly" but will it play a huge part in internship offers. p.s im looking to go into s&t or Ib

Most Helpful

If you are black, I think that this is not as bad an idea as if you are white. Dreadlocks are a common hairstyle in the black community. With all the DEI stuff going on these days, I don't think it will put you out of the running. Different ethnic groups have different types of hair that is managed differently and dreadlocks work well for certain types of hair. Although, short crop hair is likely your "safest" bet. 

I think I’ve seen one analyst with them. You’re  good as long as it’s well maintained, relatively short, and looks clean. You don’t want to look like Derrick Henry.

If you’re wearing a suit, it should cancel out lol. Definitely keep them tied back. If you have glasses or can wear some blue lights or something that could actually give you a unique look that would still make you look “smart” with the glasses. Just my 2 cents with the info I have though. Like someone said above, clean cut is best, but you can definitely make it work

Have never seen them in finance but as other posters have said just keep them tidy, naturally colored and back/off of your face and behind your ears. Could be a pretty dope look paired w/ suit or businesses casual and maybe even glasses. Clean cut is always the safest bet however, goes for all races/ethnicities. You don't want to be the guy that gets remembered for physical appearance whether its a flashy suit, watch or hairstyle etc. Same rules apply to college athletes with lax flow haha. Don't roll in the office looking like Fernando Tatis Jr or Trevor Laurence for that matter. 

The tough answer is no, it's best not to have. Despite all the progression the industry has seen / is going through, finance is still conservative and yes unless you are African American then having dreads will work against you. It's unfortunate but a reality 

Have a black friend in IB with a hairstyle similar to how you described, I think it should be fine. To be fair though, they only started the look after they got a FT offer. It just comes down to your risk tolerance. In this day and age, there’s a 99% chance dreads won’t affect your shots at high finance. But, it’s possible and if that’s something you’re afraid of then go conservative. It’s easier said than done, but I think a firm/industry that would ding you for dreads is one worth avoiding anyways. Same goes for POC girls with historically “unprofessional” hair, brown guys when it comes to shaving/turban, etc.

Vel odit sapiente autem repellat dolores omnis ab. Et quia sed laborum dignissimos culpa. Rerum odio vel totam. Eum et earum quam. Qui neque et ad soluta molestias.

Totam fugiat eos eum amet qui aut iste et. Dicta maiores itaque quia sed neque accusamus qui. Aperiam quia eaque mollitia. Eligendi maiores ut illo et dolores rerum quibusdam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”