Drug testing question - promise it is different


I recently graduated in December and do not start work until July. Since then I have been living in a country where many drugs that would be considered controlled in the United States are available over the counter. For the most part I have been staying clear of them (and I did not touch any recreational drugs). However, recently due to heavy drinking I started to go through fairly intense alcohol withdrawal (fever, night sweats, anxiety, etc.). I went to a doctor in this country and he told me to take valium once a day for a week and stop drinking (he did not write a prescription because its available over the counter).

Initially I assumed valium would only show up in urine for a few days, but I just read valium has the longest half life of benzos and can show up for 1-2 weeks sometimes. The reason I am slightly concerned is I head back to the states in 6 days and will be taking my drug test 1-2 days after I get back. With that said I also read online that most employers do not test for benzos because they use the 5 panel test and only only rarely do employers do a 10 panel and its mostly if its for heavy manufacturing/trucking etc.

Does anyone here know if banks test for benzo's in their screening? I guess I could try to dilute the sample if needed but honestly that is a pain and I would rather not go through it.


Anonymous Monkey, Upload Your Resume - Land a Job

Members that upload a resume get 2.3x the number of interview invites through the Talent Oasis. Learn more.

Comments (6)

May 30, 2012

Try to take some valium back to the states with you, an empty bottle at least. Bring a receipt with you. Try to get a recommendation to take valium in writing from the doctor if possible.

You didn't take anything illegal. If it were me I would hope nothing shows up but have solid evidence that the valium was taken legally for medical purposes.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

May 30, 2012

The answer is go back to the doctor and ask him to write you a scrip even though it's legal in that country. This way you have proof from while you were overseas that it was prescribed and not questionably consumed. Or, conversely, if you know a doctor that prescribes it here, explain your situation to him and see if he can cover you with a short term scrip to counter the possible effects of it being tested. TBH, I don't know why the banks would use a 10-panel test but that's the only ideas I have for you to CYA.

May 30, 2012

Haha, you present it as if developing an alcohol problem is somehow 'better' than using recreational drugs.

I would just go to a different doctor in the same country, tell him exactly the same as what you did to get your first round of Valium and then when he suggests it, explain you will be having a drug test and ask him for a script or doctor's note.

May 31, 2012

Ya the alcohol problem is not necessarily good, but, it is my last 4 months of life before being locked into a cubicle working 100 hours a week. Wanted to get in as much drinking and banging hot babes as possible.

I do not remember the doctors name but I will go to the hospital and talk to them about it and hopefully get something written up. Hopefully the drug testing company would accept writing from a foreign doctor.

May 31, 2012

As long as you can prove you were in the country at the time of the scrip's writing, I would assume that it would be acceptable.

Jun 3, 2012

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)