Congrats, I'm looking into visiting Duke two weeks from now to check out the MMS program and the campus.

"There are only two opinions in this world: Mine and the wrong one." -Jeremy Clarkson

Got waitlisted with no feedback. Not to be arrogant or anything b/c everyone has a great profile at the top, but damn my mind was blowwwnnn. I can't really point to something that would bring my application down and I'm think I'm a pretty normal person when interviewing. Idk

'Before you enter... be willing to pay the price'

BepBep12:
Got waitlisted with no feedback. Not to be arrogant or anything b/c everyone has a great profile at the top, but damn my mind was blowwwnnn. I can't really point to something that would bring my application down and I'm think I'm a pretty normal person when interviewing. Idk

yeah dude mine too...that's worrying as i reckoned your profile would've been quite the fit/attractive to adcom; wonder what the deal is. really sorry to hear that bep; any alternatives lined up? i know you were keen on the mms though.

Zero reason Bep should have been dinged. He would have been a great MMS candidate and has the resume and maturity to get a job from the degree. Not sure what is going on over there. I have a bunch of data points with regards to admissions at Duke and he was better than all of them, IMO.

TNA:
Zero reason Bep should have been dinged. He would have been a great MMS candidate and has the resume and maturity to get a job from the degree. Not sure what is going on over there. I have a bunch of data points with regards to admissions at Duke and he was better than all of them, IMO.

Thanks for the kind words.

BepBep12:
<span class=keyword_link><a href=/company/trilantic-north-america>TNA</a></span>:

Thanks for the kind words.

You may want to call and try and appeal the decision. Not a common tactic, but appeals work.

Just sent out my app for R3, my stats are about average for the program and I am coming from a finance/acct background. Im worried about getting waitlisted because i need to get started on housing/internships/knowing where the fuck im going to be next year and the stories above concern me. For those who were interviewed, what was it like? Im assuming its just a typical "fit" interview.."Why Duke?" "Why an MMS" "Name a time when you were a team player..",etc..am i right?

jss09:
Just sent out my app for R3, my stats are about average for the program and I am coming from a finance/acct background. Im worried about getting waitlisted because i need to get started on housing/internships/knowing where the fuck im going to be next year and the stories above concern me. For those who were interviewed, what was it like? Im assuming its just a typical "fit" interview.."Why Duke?" "Why an MMS" "Name a time when you were a team player..",etc..am i right?

Pretty much. There's a definite leadership/group work bent to it, so if you can cite a time when you had to lead in a time of adversity or if you can give an example working effectively in a group, that would work. There's all the typical fit questions as you mentioned above (biggest weakness, background, etc.).

futurectdoc, good to see you're on board and going to Duke!

Best Response
jss09:

Know your resume inside and out, know your story and be able to articulate why you want the MMS. Know about the huge emphasis on "Team Fuqua", Duke wants a collaborative not competitive atmosphere. Know not only the MMS inside and out, but also the school. Know its strengths i.e. healthcare, consulting and play into them if your resume is suited to it. Also articulate long term goals. Know how to answer failure questions i.e. a time you failed, a time a project failed, a time a team worked poorly and what would you do if you don't get your dream job.

bluesbreaker13:
How do you feel it went? I've got no experience with the interview process [for grad school] so I can't say whether thats wtf or standard op. practice but glad they called back. What were the follow-up ques? Anything penetrative? Do you reckon you might get in after this? Fingers crossed man!

Handled them fine, it was just weird. Not sure what's going on really...

futurectdoc:
Is anyone going to the accepted student day?

I'm definitely going to be there. A great chance to meet a lot of people and see more of the area. Hope everyone else can make it!

Hey futuredoc, I'm glad I'll be your classmate next year. I've been following your post for awhile now lol. About the admitted student day, I'm not sure I can go, I have a bunch of exams the following week. I don't see anyone on the fb group talking about it though

Placement has been good this year--not very finance heavy, but we've had a few people at various companies--several Oracle hires, some IBM, some Deloitte, Accenture, etc. In terms of IB--that was my goal for this year--I will be starting at a lower BB/upper MM (depending on how you want to define it). Another classmate is going to Morgan Stanley (though he is a genius) and two or three should be at boutiques. The key for recruiting with this program is that it's not going to necessarily give you the Duke brand--if that's what you're seeking--but if you came from a decent undergrad, or do well at the MMS, and network your ass off--you can get interviews.

Don't count on OCR, but through networking (and 2 OCR interviews) I was able to interview with DB, HW, Jef, WF, and a few others. The MMS has the resources and as a new program you can spin it in a positive light--but it is still a make your own luck kind of situation to some degree.

What is good about the MMS is that because it's broad, you're not screwed if you can't get a finance job. Feel free to PM for more info.

jhu2011:
Placement has been good this year--not very finance heavy, but we've had a few people at various companies--several Oracle hires, some IBM, some Deloitte, Accenture, etc. In terms of IB--that was my goal for this year--I will be starting at a lower BB/upper MM (depending on how you want to define it). Another classmate is going to Morgan Stanley (though he is a genius) and two or three should be at boutiques. The key for recruiting with this program is that it's not going to necessarily give you the Duke brand--if that's what you're seeking--but if you came from a decent undergrad, or do well at the MMS, and network your ass off--you can get interviews.

Don't count on OCR, but through networking (and 2 OCR interviews) I was able to interview with DB, HW, Jef, WF, and a few others. The MMS has the resources and as a new program you can spin it in a positive light--but it is still a make your own luck kind of situation to some degree.

What is good about the MMS is that because it's broad, you're not screwed if you can't get a finance job. Feel free to PM for more info.

Was it not very finance heavy because not many people pursued finance? or because recruiting was tough?

A bit of both. There are certainly people who come into the program assuming they want to do finance, and then find out a bit more and go another direction. A lot choose the consulting route, others general management. And of course recruiting was tough this year--in most grad programs (at least from what I have heard), students coming in don't have relevant internships for finance. Some do, but a lot of times these internships are tangentially related (F500 finance or financial analytics) versus plausible for recruitment (Boutique IB, MM, BB).

If I remember correctly, only about 4 or so banks came to Duke to recruit full time this year. Most of the banks, as you can imagine, recruit from their intern classes. On-campus for this year were Peter J Solomon, Edgeview Partners, BlackArch, and maybe one or two others. The big banks still come to recruit for interns, but MMSers generally aren't a part of that.

I will say this--what I've said here probably applies for most grad programs of this sort (broad business), so there's a bit of a tradeoff. If you go for a MSF, recruitment for banking, AM, etc. might be stronger. But you're going to have more people gunning for these roles, and you can expect a lot of candidates from your program alone with stacked resumes. Part of the reason I didn't go the MSF route was out of concern that if I couldn't break in, I'd be stuck with a degree that had fairly limited use. A management degree, on the other hand, can be applied towards a lot of professions.

One thing I should add--if you choose to come to Duke, do not expect any BB or MM to come for on campus fulltime recruiting. That's not a condemnation of the MMS--it's just not going to happen at any institution these days. I should definitely emphasize one point about MMS that is very nice--given Duke's position as a target, you're in a pretty good spot at Duke when you have full access to undergrad recruiting as well as access to both MBA and undergrad alums (and any other Duke-affiliated alums you would want). The base is huge, there's a lot of finance representation, and that's key to getting the first round. That said, I cannot emphasize enough how important that first semester is for establishing a strong GPA going into Fall. Especially if you didn't have the best finance background or best academics, a strong GPA and some summer banking experience will be crucial.

denwhat:
Kh3heckyes:
I got in round 3! Is there a fb page for housing or anything? The discussion board is looking pretty empty.
Are you on facebook? Cathy should be adding you to our fb group soon.

Yep! I'm on facebook. My name on fb isn't my first and last name though. I'm pretty sure she'll find me eventually, but it might take awhile haha. Is there a link that I can use so I can just click "join the group" or something?

futurectdoc:
You can just email her your user name. Did you decide on housing? I'm going to belmont.

Very cool! The Belmont is nice. I'm thinking either something off of Erwin (Trinity Commons/Lofts) or maybe West Village. I went to Duke for undergrad and I know that living off of Erwin would be on the pricey side, but both apartments seem to have good security and are in convenient locations for school. I want to ask around and see what current MMS students/other Duke grad students think about where they live.

I will shoot Cathy an email. Thanks!

MMS '12 alum here, and I just wanted to provide some feedback on the living situation.

If you're going to live at West Village, make sure to get one of the newer apartments. I had one of the older ones, and it was a dark, nearly windowless place (although I was never home). However, be warned that the newer apartments have thin walls. I remember we would be partying or playing music at a friend's place there and someone would always call the cops on us. Biggest benefit of living in the West Village is that you're close to the bars/restaurants downtown, which is great for when you're stumbling home from Shooters at 2 AM.

Trinity and the Lofts are really nice, brand new, and close to campus but they cost a little bit more and they are not close to the bars/restaurants.

Station 9 is where most of the MBAs stay. I have not spent much time there.

Belmont is not a place I would live personally, but quite a few of my friends stayed there. They did have some burglaries during the early part of the year, but I think since then it's all been sorted out.

Good luck!

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis - when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this

idragmazda:
MMS '12 alum here, and I just wanted to provide some feedback on the living situation.

If you're going to live at West Village, make sure to get one of the newer apartments. I had one of the older ones, and it was a dark, nearly windowless place (although I was never home). However, be warned that the newer apartments have thin walls. I remember we would be partying or playing music at a friend's place there and someone would always call the cops on us. Biggest benefit of living in the West Village is that you're close to the bars/restaurants downtown, which is great for when you're stumbling home from Shooters at 2 AM.

Trinity and the Lofts are really nice, brand new, and close to campus but they cost a little bit more and they are not close to the bars/restaurants.

Station 9 is where most of the MBAs stay. I have not spent much time there.

Belmont is not a place I would live personally, but quite a few of my friends stayed there. They did have some burglaries during the early part of the year, but I think since then it's all been sorted out.

Good luck!

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip! Being near Brightleaf/downtown is exactly why I was thinking of West Village!! Oh Shooters...how I have missed it so. If I'm remembering correctly, when the traffic isn't bad, West Village is only a 10 minute drive from that area to Science Drive, right?

yeah driving to Fuqua is not bad at all. Oh how I miss that place. I will be there next weekend for the Fuqua reunions. I look forward to Shooters hahah

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis - when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this

yup, though i had cold emailed and received offers to intern at other boutiques. Where u intern is somewhat irrelevant--but the key is to just get a lot of solid deal and modeling experience out of it. Coming from a boutique, it's key that you demonstrate some technical capability (modeling-wise) during the interview. You should be able to crush the generic technicals and speak in-depth to your experiences and responsibilities on the deal.

Can any MMS alums speak more about recruiting? I was looking through the employment report on their website and it just seemed to have a total lack of major F500 recruitment. I know the Duke name doesn't automatically buy one a perfect job, but I was still a bit surprised by the lack of big names on the report.

"There are only two opinions in this world: Mine and the wrong one." -Jeremy Clarkson

Consequatur eum et ut dolorum recusandae debitis. Molestiae consequatur quidem sit itaque expedita velit id earum. Perspiciatis minima aut dolor mollitia repellendus quis.

Magni magni tempora cumque perferendis id quia. Voluptatem debitis est dolorum sunt numquam fugiat animi. Laborum provident est accusamus quo consequatur delectus aut ut. Eligendi necessitatibus asperiores sapiente non ut. Qui nulla quo quibusdam est beatae aut et qui. Officiis sint consequatur non quis mollitia eos aliquid. Consequatur accusamus repudiandae rerum sint earum non consequatur.

Nisi voluptate accusantium sed fuga ipsum quaerat eos. Nobis alias ullam beatae occaecati. Odio molestiae et veniam qui. Ut exercitationem officiis quam dolorum perspiciatis dolores tempore. Ab sunt voluptatem dolorem sunt aut omnis debitis ea.

Iusto qui magnam doloremque. Natus illum ut quis veritatis quas. Non ullam consequatur et magnam.

Est dolore minima qui qui autem. Unde est id sed et accusamus nostrum harum quo. Reprehenderit modi pariatur placeat repellendus dicta ab ad voluptates. Et quia hic architecto. Nostrum et corrupti aliquam.

Sed tenetur velit qui ut. Quo earum quae dolor dolor impedit. Quam ab id molestiae. Itaque ut enim eos reprehenderit molestiae. Optio accusantium animi non aut eligendi dolor. Nihil velit nostrum at doloremque.

Quaerat voluptatem inventore amet vel dignissimos in voluptas. Quae iure ut quo doloremque. Ut iure quia debitis ipsam.

Numquam sunt molestiae in sed nesciunt et. Quia ducimus consequatur nobis facilis et sit animi eos. Aspernatur at animi repellendus provident commodi soluta sit. Voluptatem est et impedit perspiciatis excepturi nisi quibusdam. Officia pariatur iure laudantium magni est aut unde dicta.

Corrupti quae voluptates eos. Iure laboriosam earum aut autem ut sint aut. Non optio amet repellat tempora dolor. Omnis rem sunt hic dolores.

Saepe et rem dolor repellendus. Hic nisi blanditiis aliquid id sed itaque sed. Et neque nobis blanditiis nesciunt quo est repellat. Numquam est aut consequatur debitis autem.

Eligendi ullam laboriosam enim quia. Officia dolorem et at possimus fugit quas a. Dignissimos vitae recusandae aut sed qui. Velit facilis suscipit est ad et.

Ea placeat dolorum ea amet perspiciatis ab beatae. Omnis aut aut voluptas veritatis consequuntur. Quos vero non repudiandae excepturi illo. Iste repudiandae excepturi corrupti perspiciatis voluptatum voluptatum deserunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”