Energy Rodeo 2012: The Recap

This past weekend about 120 WSO monkeys descended upon Houston, Texas for the 2012 Energy Rodeo, an event characterized by much fun had, knowledge gained, and contacts made by all. The monkeys came by car, by plane, and by bus, but no private choppers (at least not yet…maybe by Energy Rodeo 2025?).

Many of the speakers at the event were sales and trading focused, and numerous questions were answered about the energy industry, either in panels or in one-on-one discussions. Though a lot of us were tired having gone out the night before, the professional guests kept us all riveted, especially the final speaker of the day, who talked about how his trading career with Salomon Brothers helped him become a successful entrepreneur. It was a life story that, dare I say it, might even give our very own Eddie Braverman a run for his money!

As always, it was also great to meet some of the fellow users and finally put faces to screen-names. A big round of applause and a whole clutch of silver bananas go out to monty09 for putting it all together. I think I speak for all of us when I say that Energy Rodeo 2012 was a resounding success.

The most valuable thing I gained was an appreciation for what this industry is all about. I echo what Midas wrote following his experience at the first Energy Rodeo 2011: a lot of times, the most important thing to do is reach out your hand and say hi. It is truly encouraging to see working professionals both young ad old take the time to share information, share their stories, and share their wisdom. Monty himself, I may add, is also a prime example.

As the simian community here continues to grow and evolve, I know that a lot us will be up there to join them. I hope those in attendance will bear that generous spirit in mind, whether you plan to attend WSO Conference in July or some event in the future.

I for one, definitely will. Thanks again monty, for such a rewarding experience!

Wow....... I wish I would have come... sounded like it was great. I am going to really try to come up to the conference in NYC, but I cannot guarentee it since I may be San Fran.

I want a lady on the street, but a freak in the bed, Go Bucks!!

Damn.. sounds like a great time. I PM'd you Monty, but I had miss the event to be in Ft. Worth this weekend.

I've always wanted to go out partying in Houston too lol, hopefully I find myself there some day.

Nothing short of everything will really do.

Perspiciatis qui sint repellat sunt dolorem mollitia. Nobis ea delectus voluptatibus eveniet perspiciatis numquam autem. Voluptatibus minus fugit nulla delectus omnis molestiae repudiandae maxime.

Ut a totam voluptas sit. Veniam sed minus quis architecto.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Aliquid quia architecto atque dolorem sint. Aut eos sed quo occaecati ratione quidem sunt. Perspiciatis sapiente porro sint dolore quia aut vero. Ut quas et saepe accusamus. Reprehenderit veniam est et rerum ea unde nemo. Et qui numquam maiores porro assumenda rerum sunt maiores.

Omnis fugiat autem cupiditate excepturi. Unde corporis id dolores eaque laborum magni rem asperiores. In molestiae explicabo quia nostrum sit pariatur architecto numquam.

Nisi maxime quisquam autem cupiditate ut voluptatem deleniti. Molestiae et cupiditate inventore placeat et. Voluptatem harum tenetur incidunt aut aut similique. Qui est odit veritatis facilis.

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”