Exit opportunities after Bschool jobs consulting/banking/f500

So I'm a current military vet that will be attending BSchool next fall (I have interviews at some M7 schools, haven't finished the process yet of narrowing down schools). I originally thought that I should pursue consulting becuase that seemed to be the most sought after career and seemed to provide great long-term career opportunites, but as I reserach more, I think banking could be a viable career, or even working in a leadership development program at a F500.

Ultimately my goal is to work at the C-suite level at a major company--but again transitioning from the military I have zero relevent business experience so I recognize my naivete and the fact that my goals could change significantly. I do want to set myself up from the start with the best opportunities. I know that at the associate level banking exit-opportunities are not stellar as PE, VC, HF recruit younger talent as analysts and I don't think I want to be potentially pidgeonhole myself as only a banker. I'm also not thrilled about the long work hours and weekend work, I've done more than my share of that in the military and I'm not excited to be up at 2am on a saturday working on an excel model. Consulting has its own pros/cons obviously with the huge amount of travel and the work hours are probably similar when factoring that in, although weekends are generally free as I understand it. From what I've read the exit opportunites seem better from MBB consulting, but I don't know how accurate that is, or hell, if I will even get hired at a MBB considering how competitive recruiting is.

Anyways, I was just trying to get some perspective from folks who have actually been in industry. Recognizing that my potential for many jobs are going to be restricted since I'm joining the game late, is there going to be a significant difference in my potential long-term work opportunities by choosing consulting/banking/f500 right after Business School, or am I thinking too much into it?

Thanks!

jboog, sorry there are no responses yet. Maybe one of these topics can point you in the right direction:

• Exit Opportunities in Toronto What sort of exit opportunities exist in Toronto after a two year analyst stint. I am aware that ... many PE or hedge fund jobs exist in the US, but I can't find any recent information on Canada. Are ... the opportunities similar? Thanks, ...
  • Exit Opportunities (IB/PE/MBA) after TFA (preceded by 3-years of IB at BB) know directly or indirectly, regarding exit opportunities after TFA (specifically IBD, PE, or ... B-school). ...
  • New York Federal Reserve Exit Opportunities else recommend the New York Federal Reserve for its exit opportunities and I can't seem to find ... after spending 10 years working for the New York Federal Reserve I will be able to leverage my ... experience and the connections I've made on the job into a high ranking position at nearly any financial ...
  • M5 MBA IB Associate exit opportunities to PE MBA's and I am pretty sure to land a job as an IBD associate. The biggest issue I have is that my dream ... is to work in PE but of course it's an uphill battle trying to break in post-MBA and after ... experience in IB as an associate. Of course the 2 year IB analyst-> exit to PE option is not available for ...
  • Can someone explain what post MBA MBB exit opportunities are really like? someone explain and be very specific with what exit opportunities look like out of MBB after 2 years post ... will exit into manager/senior manager roles after 2 years of Post MBA MBB experience." Or you will ... I am headed to a business school in the fall and my goal is to exit into a rotational program in ...
  • Exiting an Equity Research dream job do and where to look? Any suggestions about the most fulfilling exit opportunities (has to be related ... well as declining volumes. My firm just laid off 4 teams last week, and this comes after a talk by our ...
  • Investment Banking Analyst: A True Day in the Life provides this much learning opportunity / responsibility / exit opps (@Almost there lol). No doubt, this is ... excellent exit opportunities, and learn more than you ever have in two brief years. Compensation ... a particularly glorious job, but it's not the work that makes the investment banking position sought after ...
  • More suggestions...

No promises, but sometimes if we mention a user, they will share their wisdom: lappd Celia-Kuo RLiu

You're welcome.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Best Response

Don't think about the long-term - it may seem counter-intuitive, but know that most MBA grads tend to change jobs and careers into completely unrelated industries over the long-term. This is due to a combination of personal circumstances (family/kids, being a caretaker to aging parents, accommodating spouse's career, etc), career choice (wanting to do something different), or not by choice (burnout, getting laid off in an industry wide downturn, getting replaced by a younger/cheaper version of you).

What you do in the first 2-3 years out of b-school won't really matter. My class (2001) and those I know who graduated from b-school +/- a few years from that era are living the "long-term" that you're trying to plan out right now. Lots of job changes in the first 5 years for many folks it seemed. And the career path/working world for you going forward over the next 10-20 years long-term is only going to be even more rapid, random, and disruptive.

With that in mind, focus on what you want to do right now, and iterate/reflect/reevaluate every 2-3 years. Your industry may change, your own personal circumstances may change, or what you thought you liked/didn't like may change (aside: it's not uncommon for say a pre-MBA consultant who goes back to the same firm post-MBA with certain expectations because they "know" the place, only to discover that what they used to love, they now hate - or that the personnel changed so much over the 2 years they were in school that the place is not longer the same).

Alex Chu www.mbaapply.com

You're not joining the game late, military to b-school is a well-trod path. In many ways you'll have a lot of advantages - the armed forces network is very powerful for business school recruiting. For both banking and consulting you'll get early looks at most of the firms from veterans on staff.

If you're unsure of what you want to do, consulting is a great way to see a lot of companies and industries and you'll develop an enormous and highly relevant toolkit while you're there. MBB and all of the "tier-2" firms (OW/Deloitte S&O/Strategy&/LEK/ATK and also Roland Berger/Accenture/Parthenon) all focus on high level strategy, have similar exit ops and will set you up well for success. The travel is rigorous, but your weekends will be largely free and 2AM is usually just when you're making a push to finalize a deliverable.

You don't need to do any prep now other than starting to decide what you want to recruit for. All of the MBA business schools">M7 have very powerful recruiting engines for consulting and banking and will hold your hand through the entire process, from resume writing to networking to prepping for interviews.

You seem to understand the pros and cons of both IB and consulting.

One other option are the Leadership Development programs at F500.

If work-life balance matters for you and you don't mind the slow and steady road, these could be attractive for military --> MBA business schools">M7 MBA --> direct summer in F500 or IB Summer Associate, for example.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Nemo tempore aut aperiam a quisquam eum. Voluptatem et autem optio soluta ullam delectus blanditiis. Minus omnis hic qui ut est illo labore. Ut et voluptates voluptatem ad officia veritatis quidem.

Doloremque veniam dolorem cum est sed nihil similique. Architecto eos illo laudantium exercitationem fugiat rem. Omnis ut autem odio deleniti provident suscipit consequatur. Ut dolore voluptatem odio ab quas molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”