FDIC to get $500 Billion?

Looks like another problem that has been brewing for a long, long time is finally coming to a head. The FDIC is scrambling to come up with the money to cover the deposits in failed banks.

According to my (usually imperfect) research, the FDIC has shut down a total of 16 banks this year. These are not BofA's or WaMu's, these are generally more along the lines of Ted's Bank of Toadsuck Ferry, Arkansas. The FDIC has been collecting insurance premiums since its inception in 1933. Unless something were truly rotten in Denmark, I doubt the failure of 16 no-name banks would be enough to bankrupt the FDIC.

Nonetheless, the FDIC is currently scrambling to pay the bills. They just proposed a massive assessment on all U.S. banks to cover their shortfalls. Understandably, the banks are in no position to pay right now. So who rides in on their white horse to save the day? You guessed it; the federal government:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123630125365247061.html

Stay with me kids, because this is important. This is a preview of what is to come with the Social Security system in the next couple years.

For years, arguably since its inception, the FDIC has charged an unreasonably low premium to insure bank deposits. This served two purposes. First, it duped convinced bank customers that their deposits were safe (and, in fairness, they were). Second, the premiums were low enough that the banks didn't bitch and they actually made more money because of the increased depositor confidence.

How low were the premiums? As of 2008, the FDIC had enough cash on hand to cover only 1.25% of their overall exposure. And remember, that was before they raised the limit on deposit insurance from $100,000 to $250,000. After raising the limit, their cash reserves drop to a mere .5% of total exposure. Oops.

Like I said, guys, this is a preview of what's to come with Social Security. It is the elephant in the room that no one is willing to talk about. 25 years ago, people started sounding the alarm on FDIC premiums being too low. Now we're in a real jam.

One possible solution is to eliminate the FDIC altogether. Private insurance companies would fill the gap, but it wouldn't be cheap. Banks would become money warehouses, paying little or no interest on savings in order to offset the insurance costs. Not an optimal solution, but better (in my opinion) than throwing another $500 billion down the drain. Remember, that money isn't an investment in anything. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the FDIC have around $50 billion in cash to pay out insured depositors?

Since the article claims that the FDIC had $19 billion at the end of 2008, it means that it had gone through roughly $30 billion last year.

If it is asking for an additional $500 billion (nearly 20 times more than it spent so far) then we are in some deep shit...

Non laborum omnis et in est. Mollitia dolores minus ut velit dolorum. Dolorem fugit repudiandae quia est.

Sint quaerat laudantium corrupti voluptatem. Quas minima omnis est atque. Architecto voluptate et sunt culpa omnis ea expedita. Repudiandae voluptatem quae illo eos eos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”