I am ~18 months into my current PE analyst role at a industryX-focused MM PE buyout firm based in NYC. I recently decided to try about lateraling to an IB whose name is known in HK and could place me into a UMM/Mega PE in HK. I guess this has explained why I want to move from PE to IB.
A little more color on the situation:
Recently we are running a deal and have got a few bankers from BB/EB and industry X-specialized MM boutiques pitching to us, most of which are regarded as prestigious in Asia (I~smell~opportunity~!). Partners have great connections with senior people on most of those IBs. We would decide on the banker and notify the ones not selected by end May.
I don't communicate directly with bankers and our Associate is the one whom they (from analysts to MD) usually turn to if needed. IB folks will come across my name only on email CC section or in the model and presentations.
So my questions are:
1) if I reach out to those IB teams to let them know that I'm interested in a 2nd/3rd analyst position at their bank, will I put them in an awkward position to feel obligated to tell my boss about it?
2) if reaching out to them is a good idea, how should I go about it? Should I focus on the banks selected or not selected, or does it matter? Should I be more proactive and ask my associate to let me handle some email communications?
3) If my firm's connection is working against my favor, and I still want to apply to those IBs (both selected and not selected) - can I reach out to other teams (that we're not directly talking to) within those firms without my boss finding out?
Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.