Finishing uni in 2021 - can't get a summer internship

Hi,

I'm just about to finish my undergraduate degree (humanities/social sciences at a UK target uni - think Oxbridge/LSE/UCL) and I'm slowly getting irritated at the UK recruitment process. I've seen people from extremely non-target backgrounds, no experience and no extracurriculars getting top internships at Tier 1 BBs and I'm getting worried about my prospects.

I was unsuccessful with this cycle's summer internship recruitment, all off-cycles seem to require previous IBD/M&A experience and I don't think there's anything left for me to do at this point (I'm still applying to different internships at places I've never heard of before once they appear on Linkedin or elsewhere every week but it doesn't seem to go anywhere and I didn't get a single interview). Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? Is there any other way for me to save my career at this stage?

Thanks.

Looool people like you make me laugh. First you go on to say you go to a top target, then you go on to dog people at non-targets, like you know their hustle and grind to make it which sounds like it’s 10x the drive you have. First of all check your ego at the door and stop feeling entitled to shit, if this process doesn’t humble you then I dunno what will.

Most Helpful

Eum quia soluta in neque adipisci quis temporibus. Alias et rerum earum et dolorem quos. Qui culpa quo et quas iusto beatae. Aperiam provident est aliquam temporibus perferendis non cupiditate. Sed qui sed consequatur laborum.

Sed sunt reprehenderit nulla aliquam doloribus ut in. Facere dolor voluptatibus eum enim tempore amet. Reiciendis in in saepe inventore voluptas omnis ipsam. Et dolores impedit ullam. Maiores laudantium ut tempora veritatis dolores ea incidunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”