First post/career questions

Hello,

this is my first post here, so bear with me. I am 16 years old, and a jr in high school. I became interested in stocks and investing in March, and have taught myself a lot about it through quarantine, and was able to secure a 60% ROI. I want to some day work as a hedge fund manager, or some form of money manager on Wall Street, although I am also interested in private equity. I have good grades, and am also an Eagle Scout. I have also networked by writing letters to famous investors and have received letters back from Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch. Through networking I also might be able to work as an options floor trader next summer, although that is  not yet definite. What else can I do to one day be able to achieve my goals of working on Wall Street and making a good living for myself?

thank you!

Comments (13)

 
Funniest
Jan 6, 2021 - 1:29am

First, I would recommend you obtain an ROI in excess of 75%. If interested in pursuing private equity as well, it may be worth contacting a local, family owned small business to start discussions regarding an LBO. From there, you can seek to arrange debt financing of ~90% of the purchase price, with the other 10% coming from family and friends. Operate the business in a very hands on manner and look to replace management promptly if they fail to deliver. Other staff reduction may be required as well. Assuming all goes well, you will be able to exit the position with a sufficient MOIC and IRR to set yourself up for a promising career in options trading alongside Bill the hedge Ackman.

 
Jan 6, 2021 - 8:04am

I am a junior in high school to I mean if you want to work at a well recognized hedge fund there is a certain path you are going to have to take e,g going to a target school, ,IB for 2-4 years then maybe then later taking advantages of the exit opps E.G hedge fund .You cant exactly just waltz in I mean you could always start your own hedge fund but its very likely that your shit will tank so I advice you get some experience first bud .

 
  • Anonymous Monkey's picture
  • Anonymous Monkey
  • Rank: Chimp
Jan 8, 2021 - 8:42am

First of all, you are a junior in high school "too", not "to." And yes, I know how it is getting into investment banking, and I also understand that you can't just waltz into a big hedge fund. I appreciate the help

 
  • Anonymous Monkey's picture
  • Anonymous Monkey
  • Rank: Chimp
Jan 8, 2021 - 1:07pm

Alright I didn't network with him, I got a note from him. It was an honor.

 
Jan 8, 2021 - 3:02pm

I sort of hate everything you wrote in that post and feel like this is trolling, but I'll still offer actual advice. The best and most important thing you can do now is trying to get into the best possible college. Don't worry about investing or writing letters or any of that crap right now. Get your grades and your ACT buttoned down so that you can get into a school with recruiting traction. Everything else will fall into place if you make that happen.

Array

Start Discussion

Popular Content See all

IB Sucks. I'm out
+101IBby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Generalist">Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
IB is not intellectually challenging
+54IBby Intern in Investment Banking - Mergers and Acquisitions">Intern in IB-M&A
Janet Yellen - Unrealized Capital Gains Tax. WTF
+27OFFby 1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - Generalist">Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
VP Lying
+24IBby Prospective Monkey in Investment Banking - Mergers and Acquisitions">Prospect in IB-M&A

Total Avg Compensation

January 2021 Hedge Fund

  • Vice President (18) $520
  • Director/MD (10) $359
  • Portfolio Manager (7) $297
  • Manager (4) $282
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (18) $269
  • 2nd Year Associate (26) $251
  • Engineer/Quant (48) $234
  • 1st Year Associate (61) $189
  • Analysts (179) $168
  • Intern/Summer Associate (14) $125
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (199) $82

Leaderboard See all

1
LonLonMilk's picture
LonLonMilk
98.5
2
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
98.4
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
98.3
4
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
97.9
5
redever's picture
redever
97.7
6
frgna's picture
frgna
97.6
7
Addinator's picture
Addinator
97.5
8
NuckFuts's picture
NuckFuts
97.5
9
bolo up's picture
bolo up
97.5
10
Edifice's picture
Edifice
97.5