Freshman Internship 2020 - IB at Small Firm vs. Asset Management?

Hi monkeys,

As a Canadian student at a semi-target university (Queens/Ivey/McGill), should I aim for a freshman internship at a really small investment bank (8-10 employees total) or an asset management internship? One of the bankers at the tiny investment boutique/advisory is one of my family friends, but before asking about any potential opportunities I wanted to make sure that an investment banking freshman internship (regardless of size/aum/prestige of the firm) as work experience would look better than asset management when applying for sophomore/junior/senior interviews at more renowned and larger banks.

Does a freshman year investment banking internship look good regardless of the size/prestige of the firm? Would it look better to interviewers and give me a competitive edge during soph/junior/senior year recruiting? Thanks!

Depends on the size of the asset management company and your role there. Are you going to be doing something like equity research? Is it a well-known company? What’s the AUM?

If the asset management company is small and unknown, You should do The IB one. If it’s a known brand and you will have a meaningful role, you should go for the asset management internship.

Most Helpful

Thanks - Sorry if I was misleading in the post, I haven't received offers or recruited for either yet. I just didn't want to leverage connections and ask for a role at a small investment advisory before knowing 100% that it would be better than an asset management internship.

As a Canadian freshman, I'm not really sure if I'd be able to get many offers at asset management companies (or the difficulty of getting these internships without insider connections). Which asset management companies internships are typical/have a history of hiring Canadian freshmen? Should I try recruiting for equity research over the investment banking internship?

Also, what would my chances be (3.8-3.9 GPA) of getting a first year equity research internship at a well-known + good AUM asset management firm? Also would appreciate it if fellow Canadians could drop some companies that have historically hired freshmen :)

Search up "Finance Recruiting Guide - QFAC" - its a bit outdated, but provides a guideline on the recruitment process for Canada and the US.

I would say go with the asset management internship if you have a chance (assuming decent AUM) and use that to get a reputable MM IB internship in your sophomore year as opposed to a tiny company that nobody's ever heard of. IB is not always > AM regardless of what that other comment says.

Ah okay, thank you! I'm not sure how to find the AUM of the advisory, but it recently advised on deals varying from $1MM-15MM (so I'm guessing LMM?). Given this, would it still be better to seek a freshman internship in asset management? Additionally, do you have any tips for freshman summer recruiting?

Look at their deal flow and check out their tombstones - you can probably find this out through your family friend if they don't have it on their website. If their deal flow sucks then obviously target other firms before you apply there - use this company as a last resort since you know that you can get in if you desperately need something and the summer is fast approaching.

Quia ut quo et aut odit. Consequuntur eligendi quam non id ipsam sed eaque. Doloremque distinctio accusamus molestiae dolor soluta. Ratione doloribus id dolores.

Atque saepe hic et eius repellendus doloribus optio. Quia voluptatem nulla porro est minus rerum. Inventore necessitatibus consectetur eos est libero sed iure est. Ut accusantium quo nulla.

Aliquam et autem eos enim et commodi. Quia veniam qui temporibus est ut dolorem quae. Autem in ut sed sit.

Sequi omnis vel exercitationem et. Et dolorem quod id accusantium a ad. Neque cumque impedit aut velit iusto incidunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”